🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Business Account - reclaiming bank charges

Options
I have my business account with Bank of Scotland. I have recently worked out that they charged me nearly £250 for:
- charges for late payments, exceeding overdraft etc.
- additionally, on the top of interest for using overdraft they charged me £100 for using overdraft facility !!!

I sent them the template letter asking to refund me the money. However, they replied that they will not give it back as they are not regulated by the same authority as personal accounts are.

Does anyone know how can I approach them? Thank you in advance.

Regards

Marcin

Comments

• inmypocketnottheirs
    Options
    I would write back and tell them that they are incorrect. Punitive Fines are unlawful for breach of contract, whether for a business or personal account. Personally I would write back giving them 14 days to settle your claim or legal action will commence without further notice. Also let them know that fees and interest will be added.

They are trying it on.

Good luck!
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • mwmarczak
    Options
    Thanks a lot. Are you sure that the charges are unlawful on business accounts too? I called them up they said that there is no way they will refund the charges as I signed an agreement with them.

Regards

Marcin
  • Rhodiola
    Options
    Hello
    I am wondering if anyone has attempted to reclaim charges on a business bank account? Is is even possible, or do business accounts not qualify?
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    Rhodiola wrote:
    Hello
    I am wondering if anyone has attempted to reclaim charges on a business bank account? Is is even possible, or do business accounts not qualify?

As I'm still moving threads across into this board I might find more regarding business accounts but meantime I've merged your thread with this previous one.
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Definately worth a visit to the consumeractiongroup website. You can claim charges back from a business account, but the procedure is different. They have specific advice for business accounts on the other site.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • fabianne
    fabianne Posts: 210 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I am in the process of claiming back bank charges for a business account I hold with Barclays.I found fantastic advice,support,info and the whole step by step instructions on the consumer action group website-including spreadsheets for before and after court-they also have letter templates on there for you to send to your bank.It may be a lot of reading but it is worth it as you have to know what you are talking about and do things in a certain order.
    There are loads of threads on there regarding business accounts and people in the same boat as you.
    I claimed exactly the same was as a personal account-although I think if you are a limited company you should check out the info on the website too.
    I have just filed a Moneyclaim form online after no luck with the bank refunding my £2500+ charges(that one was of the major reasons I closed my business down recently btw)If it gets to the Court stage-don't be afraid.They will have to pay your court costs plus interest if you decide to apply that(they do-why not?).Depending on the bank they will usually settle at the court door-no test case has yet gone through.
    It is a battle and time consuming BUT it is YOUR money that they have taken by charged disproportionately high fees.How can they charge £35 for an automated charge??They can't-it is unlawful.
    Good luck-get onto the CAG website and keep us posted on your progress!
    Fabi x
  • Lizzy
    Lizzy Posts: 385 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Fabi

We get about don't we, hee hee......this is where I lived before the CAG now I share homes with MSE, CAG and the ferret rescue website.

Good luck

Lizzy
  • SMARTY29A_2
    Options
    my husband has a business account with the RBS, can he re-claim charges on this business account, if so, what do we need to look for on the bank stattements?

any help appreciated.

thanks
  • wakster
    Options
    fabianne wrote:
    Hi
    I am in the process of claiming back bank charges for a business account I hold with Barclays.I found fantastic advice,support,info and the whole step by step instructions on the consumer action group website-including spreadsheets for before and after court-they also have letter templates on there for you to send to your bank.It may be a lot of reading but it is worth it as you have to know what you are talking about and do things in a certain order.
    There are loads of threads on there regarding business accounts and people in the same boat as you.
    I claimed exactly the same was as a personal account-although I think if you are a limited company you should check out the info on the website too.
    I have just filed a Moneyclaim form online after no luck with the bank refunding my £2500+ charges(that one was of the major reasons I closed my business down recently btw)If it gets to the Court stage-don't be afraid.They will have to pay your court costs plus interest if you decide to apply that(they do-why not?).Depending on the bank they will usually settle at the court door-no test case has yet gone through.
    It is a battle and time consuming BUT it is YOUR money that they have taken by charged disproportionately high fees.How can they charge £35 for an automated charge??They can't-it is unlawful.
    Good luck-get onto the CAG website and keep us posted on your progress!

Hey this sounds great you are almost in the same boat at myself, any chance of linking to the mentioned threads? PM me please:D
  • Dalt001
    Options
    Please excuse me if this question has already been answered but, if it has, I've not had any luck finding a specific answer.
    Can I assume business accounts fall into this catagory as well? And,if so, is the procedure identical?
    Thanks in advance.
    Don't go down without a fight!
    No Links in signatures by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business