Great Kids' Car Seat Hunt

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Money Saving Expert
As you may have seen in the news, the new child car seat rules came into force on 18 September.

The New Rules

Booster seats are now compulsory for kids under 12 who are less than 4ft 5in tall, and drivers who break the rules can be given an on the spot fine of £30 or fined up to £500 in court. See the Department for Transport’s website for a full rundown on the new law.

How do I know if a booster seat is compliant?

Boosters must meet the “UN ECE Regulation 44.03” standard. To check this look for a label showing an "E" and "44.03" or ".03".

The label should also show the weight range of child it's designed for. If you need help, the retailer should be able to help you chose the right one.

What's this hunt about?

So as many are now in the market for new car seats, I thought I'd tap MoneySavers' collective knowledge find the best value for money deals around. Of course the primary concern here is about safety as much as the cash, and it's important to check that your booster seat is compliant.

Sadly there's huge demand at the moment - so its important to be aware stock are low.

What this hunt isn't about?

I'm aware there is some disquiet about these new rules, however this isn't the place for that discussion - this thread is about how to comply cheaply and safely.

Martin

REPORT YOUR BEST FINDS BY CLICKING REPLY

And do include where you found the booster seat, the cost, the age of the children and a web link if possible.

threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• apples1
    apples1 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    Whilst the safest option is a full seat with head protection etc if you are going to purchase a booster cushion (as opposed to one with back & sides) it is well worth getting one with the strap that holds the top part of the seat belt in the correct position (i.e away from your child's neck). This link http://www.kiddicare.com/invt/gracboostseatrug?No=0&N=365+27
    shows the strap that I am referring to.

This one is available online for under £15 although many places are now sold out and taking pre-orders for next delivery. My local independent retailer still has them for just under £13 so may be worth checking local stockists of car seats if you need one asap! Whichever make you go for the strap with the "D" ring to hold the belt is really worth having to ensure the belt is not in a dangerous position too close to your child's neck. Most good makes offer this.
    MTC NMP Membership #62 - made it back to size 12 after my children & I'm staying here!
  • This is typical - I gave my 7 year old daughters seat away a few months ago because our car seats raise up in the car so she is at a safe height - However the law does not consider this and I now have to buy a new one because I haven't got the heart to ask for mine back!!!!! AAARRRGGGHHHHHHH Have also tried every shop and they are all aklmost double the price they used to be and sold out ARARRaaggghhhhagain
  • Netto are selling them for £2.99
  • Is that the booster cushion and what are they like Tom? I need one for ours and i was going to buy a booster cushion a fortnight ago from halfords for £10.99 and then i forgot and now they've sold out!!! Our 6 year old only has to grow 3" before he doesn't need one. he'll grow that quite soon so i don't want to spend a bloomin fortune on one!
  • Netto, phone customer services . number on netto website most of them seem to have sold out , no doubt on e bay next week. might save you a journey wasted.
  • I can't find seats anywhere in the high street at the moment! Argh! I too gave away 3 of these about Christmas time
    Terriblesaver - hoping to improve!!! Unsecured debt ... £[STRIKE]57938[/STRIKE] £51453
    Official DFW Nerd no 176
    Reclaimed and won Capital One £224, Paragon £758, GE Capital £63 and £135
  • Thanks for that. I've rang Netto and my branch have sold out and so have another branch 10 miles away :(
  • woolworths have some - free instore collection

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/ww_p2/promotions/index.jhtml?fid=feat6480005
    threadbanner.gif
  • I'm not sure how competitive they are on children's seats but they seem to have some in stock and I have always been happy ordering from them in the past.

http://www.nurseryandtoys.com
  • vandanfc
    vandanfc Posts: 2,025
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    thriftyjo wrote:
    This is typical - I gave my 7 year old daughters seat away a few months ago because our car seats raise up in the car so she is at a safe height - However the law does not consider this and I now have to buy a new one because I haven't got the heart to ask for mine back!!!!! AAARRRGGGHHHHHHH Have also tried every shop and they are all aklmost double the price they used to be and sold out ARARRaaggghhhhagain
    Found this, don't know if this would be applicable in your case ???

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/campaigns/childcarseats/childcarseats.htm#01

4. What about rear facing seats in the back of estate cars, or small seats with forward facing seats in sports cars?

Some estate cars have rear facing seats in the luggage compartment for use by children, and some 2 + 2 sports cars or convertibles have small rear seats. Child seats/boosters to the required UN ECE Regulation 44.03 type approval must be used on these seats. However, it may be that such seats are certified to UN ECE 44.03 type approval standards which means that they are in effect type-approved child seats/booster seats themselves and therefore a separate child seat/booster would not be needed. If a seat complies with the type-approval standard, it will have an "E" label, with "44.03" or ".03" and the weight range of the child for which it is designed. You may need to check with the car handbook, or the vehicle manufacturer, whether the seat is so approved.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure