Clothes - Treat or Necessity?

My question is about clothes – Do you guys see clothes as a treat or a necessity? Since my LBM, I have not bought any new clothes (apart from maybe the odd £3 top or something) because I’d always classed them as treats. But I’ve come into work this morning looking like a right scruff! I’ve got a safety pin holding my trousers together, my zip up top now has a hole in the elbow – and don’t even get me started on my work shoes!

Do you think it’d be ‘falling off the DFW wagon’ if I bought some new clothes (cash not CC!)? Where is the best place to buy them? The other problem I have is finding clothes to fit, I’m a size 8/10 with 34” legs and usually the only trousers that fit me are from River Island or Top Shop!
threadbanner.gif
Was debt free... then went travelling!

Comments

• bobbadog
    bobbadog Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    My question is about clothes – Do you guys see clothes as a treat or a necessity? Since my LBM, I have not bought any new clothes (apart from maybe the odd £3 top or something) because I’d always classed them as treats. But I’ve come into work this morning looking like a right scruff! I’ve got a safety pin holding my trousers together, my zip up top now has a hole in the elbow – and don’t even get me started on my work shoes!

Do you think it’d be ‘falling off the DFW wagon’ if I bought some new clothes (cash not CC!)? Where is the best place to buy them? The other problem I have is finding clothes to fit, I’m a size 8/10 with 34” legs and usually the only trousers that fit me are from River Island or Top Shop!

Awww, all guilt is self inflicted my love, and you shouldn't feel guilty spending on yourself from time to time. It's evident you're getting right down and tackling your debts, I think some well selected clothing will make you feel better about yourself - priceless! If you can't face RI or Topshop prices, eBay eBay eBay! x

Incidentally, I know just how you feel. I'm having a group lunch with our new MD's Assistant in a posh soho restaurant, and i'm wearing jeans, converse (dead ones) and an old band t-shirt with bleach stains on. Lovely.
  • spud30
    spud30 Posts: 16,872 Forumite
    Hey Lazy :wave:

Clothes are only a treat if you have a wardrobe full and buy more.

If you've got none, I'd say they are a necessity.

I also have a safety pin in the trousers situation, so will have to buy some soon. Cant really be flashing at all the kids in school can I :o :rolleyes:
    Is it better to aim for the stars and hit a tree or aim for a tree and land in its branches :think:
    Loves being a Wonderbra friend :kisses3:
  • I used to always get my clothes from Next. But now I go to their outlets and get the right leg length for half the price!

All my tops etc for work and casual come from primark! In fact i got a black and white spotty shirt dress for work from primark at the weekend reduced to £2!!

I spent £36 in primark and got 4 sets of underwear, a dress and 4 tops and a leopard print cardigan. Bargainous!!

Asda do lovely clothes and do different leg lengths too.

I see work clothes as a neccessity, as it is part of my job to look smart and presentable for clients, and if i came in looking scruffy i would get pulled up on it. as for casual clothes i hardly ever buy these (unless really cheap!)

Also if I do buy primark trousers that are too long, I take them up myself with the help of either my mother, or wonderweb!!
  • Have you tried NEXT?

https://www.next.co.uk

Type in Sale, they have loads left from a £5. I say loads, loads in your size they always have tons of 8L in jeans/trousers.

hugs
    pot
    xx
  • mm2000
    mm2000 Posts: 176 Forumite
    I'd have to say Primark is a good bet. Seem well made and very cheap. I'd say treat yourself but that would be the wrong words. It's a neccessity. Now stop wasting time and get down there straight away. :)
  • TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,494
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have 36inch legs so I know your problem. I use Ebay you can get lots of Next and Long Tall Sally on there, never had a problem and clothes is as new and very very cheap. Got two Monsoon Dresses for £11 each must be at least £60 in the shop.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Feb 24 £41,650 (Wins, Jan £200 Feb £150) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• lil'H
    lil'H Posts: 514 Forumite
    I'd say clothes are a treat, when you have lots, but once you are holding them together with safety pins a necessity! Now your a DFW you'll prob be more sensible anyway and find yourself the best deals. I am refusing to buy clothes at the moment, and also am actually going through some items, but still have plenty in my wardrobe so going to hold out a little longer!

Lil'H
    Riding out the receession.........
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Simple - when something wears out I replace it!
    Stompa
  • Cheers you lot! That was the right answer :)
    Definately going to check out the next website and will try and find out when Primark is open until to see if I can get there before it shuts - I do like their underwear..all my whites have gone grey :(
    Was debt free... then went travelling!
  • bobbadog
    bobbadog Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    underwear..all my whites have gone grey :(
    Not sure if i'm over frugal, but I only wear black underwear for that reason ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure