Garmin i3 Sat Nac back at 99.99 at comet

Options
Official Insert

What's the deal?

Comet* is offering the Garmin Street Pilot i3 both in-store and online for under £100 including free delivery when you buy online.

This is a bargain which will probably go quick, so if you're planning on buying in-store it's probably worth giving them a ring first. Find your nearest store here.

Use a cashback site and up the savings

If you use a cashback site like Rpoints* or Quidco you can get a further discount. If you don't know about cashback sites read Internet Shopping: Cutting Edge Time & MoneySaving Techniques.

If you find it cheaper elsewhere... let everyone know by posting below

Back to the original post....

Gone back down to £99.99 from 129.99 at comet, free delivery - quidco discount also available

linkn below

be quick!!

I personally have one of these machines (or did until my car was broken into two days ago - and sadly this happened even though i follow point number 9 below) and have found it great - basic but does the job. The following is a lovely summary from iBozz later on in the discussion that I thought may help. Also the I3 has now been seen on sale for £99 at Halfords too. 've had one of these excellent units for several months and have the following comments:

1 It is excellent for the price - I paid £120 at Halfords some little time ago

2 It came with the UK and Eire maps pre-loaded on a tiny card

3 It supports full postcode search although it can be a bit of a nuisance when looking for somewhere (such as many hotels or shops) that do not give a "house" number in their address - or as I found out at the weekend, a remote farmhouse in The Peak District! But if you just enter a house number of 0 itwill get you to roughly the right area.

4 It does, however, allow you to enter an "I am here" location when you have first found one of those places - just press the wheel in for a few seconds and it remebers your location in Favourites. You can then edit the name to whatever you want.

5 It, and other garmin units, are not yet Mac compatible, although they say that they will be by the end of 2006. Experience with VirtualPC (A Windoze emulator) is patchy.

6 Maps are updated every year, usually around February/March. The download is chargeable.

7 Entry of destination dats is by clickwheel - a little fiddly perhaps for a commercail traveller with many stops to make, but perfectly adequate for the "normal" motorist.

8 Rechargeable batteries last around 5 to 6 hours - better to invest in a couple of sets of AA NiMHs rather than by alkalines.

9 Remember to remove both the unit and the windscreen sucker from view when you park. Thieves are attracted by these items and will even break into a car with just the sucker on view as it shows that there could well be a unit in the car.

10 As with all SatNavs it is a slave and not a master. If its instruction sounds odd, take a best guess and it will, if you are wrong, quickly recalculate the route. If it says "turn left" and that way lies a cliff then don't do it! Just make an intelligent guess and it will work out the alternative.

Best of all, of course, is that the Lady speaking to me never loses her temper no matter how many times I ignore her - unlike Her Ladyship in the passenger seat!

threadbanner.gif

*This is a special link via cashback site Rpoints. If you are an Rpoints member it means you will earn cashback on any spend too. If you don't know what I'm talking about see cutting-edge internet shopping article. If you're not an rpoints member (see the article on how to join) then the cashback goes to help this site remain ad-free and free to use. The existing of affiliated links in no way changes the editorial content of the site. For more info read how this site is financed.

Comments

• kalico
    kalico Posts: 211 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can this unit have the speed camera database uploaded to it and give warnings?

Anyone got one of these and can comment on how easy it is to use in terms of (a)size of screen and (b) input, given no touch screen?

Thanks
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=227814&highlight=garmin
    Garmin i3 for £99 - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums
  • BFG_2
    BFG_2 Posts: 2,022 Forumite
    Options
    This is great little system.
  • guitaruser
    guitaruser Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    Just picked one up from my Local Comet. Priced instore at 129.99, but get them to check and it comes up £99.99.

My initial thoughts after using it to drive home are:

Get some batteries (ignition cuts power off)
    Does its job, nice loud and clear instructions. Sent me the longest way home!
    However I didnt buy it to use locally, its only going to be used in places I'm not familiar with.
  • hurdy
    hurdy Posts: 194 Forumite
    Options
    guitaruser wrote:
    Get some batteries (ignition cuts power off)

Why would you want to use it when the ignition is off??? :confused:
  • guitaruser
    Options
    Because if I stop to get petrol/shop mid journey I usually tend to turn off the ignition and lock the car!

I think this results in the unit having to reboot find its sats again etc. The batteries means it retains power.
  • guitaruser
    Options
    kalico wrote:

Anyone got one of these and can comment on how easy it is to use in terms of (a)size of screen and (b) input, given no touch screen?

Thanks

Its very easy to use I didnt even read the instructions. Have never used a touch screen so cant comment.
  • andyl
    andyl Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kalico wrote:

Thanks
    I have one of these its great,yes you can upload the camera data base to it,The Garmin website is very good:
    It then bleeps as you approach a camera (Static ones only of course)T
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well worth it, heres some useful links to most things you might need:

Subscribe to the speed camera database at pocketgpsworld.com(£19 a year)
    http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/module...viewforum&f=96
    Pocket GPS World Forums-Garmin StreetPilot and nüvi

The pocketgps forum, lots of help.
    http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=96
    Pocket GPS World Forums-Garmin StreetPilot and nüvi

Then add the points of interest(shops etc.) from this site:
    http://www.maft.co.uk/garmin/
    Garmin POI's

Avoid updating the firmware on the unit unless you have to!!!! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    http://www.garmin.com/support/blosp.jsp
    Garmin: Updates & Downloads

If you would like to change the startup screen to another picture(e.g car, family) use this programme.
    http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=545
    Garmin: xImage Updates & Downloads
  • draycote
    draycote Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Hello it is possible to have french or European maps for this system, if so where are they obtained from. Also how quick is it to pick up satelites from switching on and does it have a postcode locator? thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure