TEA BAG CLEANING for toilets

HI Everyone,

I have had a horrible stained toilet since we moved into our house 4 years ago and have tried everything to clean it.
I tried coke which removed 50% and all the toilet cleaning chemical tablets ect.
I work with the elderly and one of my clients suggested I put my used tea bags down the loo and leave them for hours then flush and brush.

Well I did as she said and am quite impressed, 90% of the stain has gone !

The good thing is you can repeat as many times as needed and it doesnt cost a penny :rotfl:
threadbanner.gif

Comments

• homersimpson_3
    homersimpson_3 Posts: 1,249 Forumite
    suprised bleach wouldn't shift it!. what happened to the tea bag? if you flush tea bags will they will block loo eventually?
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    How does that work? :confused:

Tea contains tannins which stain - even repeated and prolonged use of cola as a toilet cleaner would eventually stain the toilet bowl because of the colours used in the product.

Not something I would be prepared to try, but, if it worked for you, then :T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    I'm not sure I'd try it either - I tried Coke and it stained the toilet horribly.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    wigginsmum wrote:
    I'm not sure I'd try it either - I tried Coke and it stained the toilet horribly.

Yes, sadly I've been warning of that for quite some time on here.

Originally, the tip referring to cola as a toilet cleaner was intended as a means of using up flat cola rather than throwing it away .. over time, it appears to have been taken out of context and being recommended as a substitute for toilet cleaning - which clearly it isn't. All cola's have a caramel colouring added to them to give it that deep dark colouring, it's a dye!

Hope you managed to get the staining out, wigginsmum!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Yep - it took bleach and a commercial cleaner (not together).
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Hi there, I think the best toilet cleaner I have ever used is TESCO Toilet limescale remover. It's in a blue 'bleach' type container and is great. Costs about 79 pence. I push as much water out down the pipe as possible using a loo brush, squirt it on and leave as long as possible. I tried dozens of cleaners before this one - now I wouldn't use anything else. My sister thought she was going to have to get a new toilet until she tried this.....
    highly recommended!!!!
    My mum used to use SANILAV but I can't find that so I stick to Tesco's.
    If you're worried about chemicals in the house keep the lid down 'til you flush!!!
    :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Quite keen moneysaver......
  • tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    I have use Tesco limescale remover as well, it is excellent, I squirt it up under the rim and around the bowl, leave it as long as possible then use a green scrubber under the rim, you will be amazed at what comes down, then dolly the bowl with the brush and flush with a long flush, sparkling loo, use bleach twice a week in the mean time.

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!
  • MIRRY_2
    MIRRY_2 Posts: 186 Forumite
    trouble is we dont want the chemicals in the home so the tea bag works a treat, it doesnt stain if you clean it with a brush after a couple of hours.

These chemicals are causing health problems so best to avoid them any way possible i think:confused:
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    suprised bleach wouldn't shift it!. what happened to the tea bag? if you flush tea bags will they will block loo eventually?

Bleach doesn't shift stains, it's disguises them by making them invisible (or turns them white) . It does kill germs but it doesn't get rid of the "invisible" germ residue. For this you need a cleaning action = elbow grease!
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Vinegar is my cure all for dirty toilets. If they are really bad, empty out the water and replace it with vinegar and leave as long as possible, preferably overnight. It eats away at the limescale the dirt is clinging to and a good scrub should see most of it go. It does not stain. Depending on how long it has been in a state, it might need another go.

Alternatively if you have the time and inclination, you can scrub the toilet with a brush repeatedly dipped in vinegar until it all comes off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure