The 'No More Buying DVDs Until I Have Watched the Ones I Already Own' Thread

InaPickle
InaPickle Posts: 5,968
Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
edited 2 August 2016 at 3:32PM in Debt-free wannabe challenges
So first there was the 'No More Buying Toiletries' Thread in which people plegded not to buy any more toiletries until they had used up those which they already owned.

This set me (and others) thinking about other areas in which we had what came to be known as 'stashes' of things which laid unused. This resulted in the ''No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread'. However, I knew there was another guilty secret awaiting me under my bed...

...DVDs! :o Oh yes, lots and lots of them. Beautiful films, films I have wanted to watch for ages (but never quite got round to it), films I bought when on special offer (who can resist a bargain?), but things, ultimately, that have not yet been used.

Hence the third challenge: no more buying any more DVDs until I have watched all the ones I own. I may lend from others (although this will slow me down in my ultimate aim of watching my own), swap and sell if I wish (although being MSE, would not like to pay more for an incoming DVD than I paid for an outgoing one), and sell or dispose of otherwise (charity shop, other charity, give to friends etc. as desired), but I do not want the number of DVDs I own to increase until I have watched them all, and then (maybe) have disposed of some I don't like/know I will never watch again etc.

Who is with me on this one?! ;) :beer:
(I'll let you know how many I've got when I've got time to count: I'm due in work soon!)
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply! [purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Please call me 'Pickle'
No More Buying Books: ???
No More Buying DVDs: ???
NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
P
roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

Comments

• This post stood out to me.

I must have 4 or 5 that I have bought and not watched. I just pick them up while walking aroudn the supermarket. I have made the subconscious decision not to buy any more.

I almost bought Borat the other day. Even though I have seen it and thought it was just OK, I saw it for £4 and thought about it.

Must be some form of addiction.
  • InaPickle
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    This post stood out to me.

I must have 4 or 5 that I have bought and not watched. I just pick them up while walking aroudn the supermarket. I have made the subconscious decision not to buy any more.

I almost bought Borat the other day. Even though I have seen it and thought it was just OK, I saw it for £4 and thought about it.

Must be some form of addiction.

Oh Rob, if I only had five, I would be a happy bunny! :o
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P

• boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,310
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hello Pickle, can i join in,last count 174 DVD's only watch 30 so far :eek:.
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Can I join in too:j:jmaybe we can list the dvds we have and see if anyone wants to swap.Although an element of trust is involved it's worth a try:D:D we can always negotiate by PM;)
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • InaPickle
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    boultdj wrote: »
    Hello Pickle, can i join in,last count 174 DVD's only watch 30 so far :eek:.
    candygirl wrote: »
    Can I join in too:j:jmaybe we can list the dvds we have and see if anyone wants to swap.Although an element of trust is involved it's worth a try:D:D we can always negotiate by PM;)

You're all more than welcome! :D

Not sure if we can do that, candygirl as there's something in the site rules about 'not posting for personal gain' and I'm not sure whether or not that counts, but we can always ask. ;)
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    P

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Try swapcycle then, just found it but lost the link:D:D:D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yep, I'm in - haven't been too bad recently with buying but we've rejoined LoveFilm so it'll be a struggle to watch the ones we own!
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • hi i might do well on this thread as i am a lost cause on the book one:odont really buy dvd's but hubby has loads i will buy box sets though as he works horrid hours and we can watch them together anytime,after we have watched they go on amazon they sell really well and sometimes i make a profit:T .
  • DarkConvict
    DarkConvict Posts: 6,338
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I saw the books one and i thought DVDs too, problem is i have watched all my DVDs already, probably a good 200+ of them, maybe enjoyable night in had so far :) What i need to do is stop buying DVDs :P
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies
  • x_Bunny_x
    x_Bunny_x Posts: 1,325 Forumite
    I have just begun to watch mine. Saturdays night movie was Twilight, followed by the special features on sunday night :p

Tonight i'm going to try to watch another!.

I wanted to buy Juno, and crazy/beautiful but stopped myself last week ;)

I think part of not watching them is the laziness. I have to go plug the dvd player in, insert the disc, get the remote, it's lazy but do all this before hand, and then when it comes to watching the movie, its already in the player, the remote is near you and all you have to do is sit and watch! :D
    _Jen_
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport