The use it or lose it challenge - please join in

svb53
svb53 Posts: 214 Forumite
edited 26 January 2010 at 8:05PM in Debt-free wannabe
Good morning all,

I've been looking around my house so see what I've actually wasted my money on and built up some of my bills. I have so many books that are waiting to be read, bottles of moisturisers coming out of my ears, clothes that I hardly wear etc.

So, my challenge is that in 2010:
-I will not buy any books until I have read all of the ones that I have. Will put titles of new books that I'd like on a list for when i'm either debt free, or people ask what I'd like for my birthday.
-To use up the endless bottles of moisturiser/body lotion/shower gel/perfume without buying more first
-To only buy clothes when what i've got really need replacing. I do 45 hours plus per week on my feet so shoes come and go fairly quickly.But other than that I can't see that I'm going to need much, particularly when there's hardly any room to hang the fresh ironing up in our wardrobe.

And to sell anything that I've got that isn't being used, i.e. endless suits from Next, designer make up, wedding dress from when we got married 4 years ago, cross trainer that's hardly used etc.

So, it's use it up, or lose it from the house. Whether selling, charity shop or recycling, I want my bills to go down and my house to stop resembling a junk shop.

Anyone else?

SVB x

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
LBM 27/12/14.
January Ebay and Amazon aim: £500. £22/£500 January weight loss aim 10lb. 0/10.
1 debt vs 100 days challenge £22/£500 by 7th April.
Nsd January aim 20. PAD starting 29/12/14 £2

Comments

• Yes, I'll join.

I'll get rid of my endless books too.
    As well as baby clothes DD grew out of 6 months ago.
    And any other little bits and bobs I find around the house. I don't go crazy with make-up.
    I've already joined the crazy clothes challenge, but I'll also sell any clothes I out-grow/slim out of.
    Starting debt: 3399.39 / Debt now: 2975.39
    VSP Challenge 2012: £39.58/£100 Crazy Clothes Challenge 2012: £3.00/£150
    £2 savers club #20: £30
    2012 earnings: £67.50
    Long Haul DFW Supporter #204
  • Primula
    Primula Posts: 953 Forumite
    Hiya
    I'll join in too please. I have tried so hard to stay away from the sales this year already and so far have just bought undies which I did need and new boots for the snow/ice, again which I did need. Fully understand where you are coming from though with moisturisers, books etc, so count me in guys!
    P
  • Great idea, im in! :D

I must have well over a hundred books which i really want to read. Its so easy to buy them at 50p from a charity shop and before you know it its out of control :o I've already started to read some so thats a start........

There is also a book swapping website i use called www.readitswapit.co.uk You list the books you dont want, request other books and make a swap. I've had loads of great books this way, getting ones i want and getting rid of the ones i dont!

As per my signature my love of beauty products and smellies is out of control :eek: I used to buy all the expensive bath products from QVC etc but never used them, i just liked buying them so i now have a HUGE stash filling 2 long wide shelves. I will use up my stash before buying anything else.

Good luck everyone! :j
    Saving my pennies for my wedding on 10th August 2013! :D :j
    First date 28/01/2010 :) Engaged 25/08/2011 :D Getting married 10/08/2013 :j
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    I'll try too!
    Am definitely not going to the sales - I got given a Next voucher for my birthday and am going to wait until the new spring stuff comes in to spend it.

I also have done a stocktake of cosmetics/creams/bath stuff and have enough Clarins/Clinique (mostly all presents) to last at least 6 months if not longer. No more buying that kind of thing.

I will make a menu plan and try to use up what we have before buying more.

I will also try to use up the cleaning and household products that I have in.

Anyone else got any other ideas I can pinch?
  • Redsky_2
    Redsky_2 Posts: 252 Forumite
    Great idea im in too!
    You just reminded me; I need toinvest in a cross trainer asap.

I will not buy any books in the coming year. Ive already got PLENTY, and havent read half of them.

I wont buy any shoes for the coming year either, unless I REALLY need to. I already have an infinate amount of boots, converse, pumps and comfy shoes.

Thanks svb53 for the great idea.
    Thanks Jewellery fan for the link.
    & Thanks everyone for the motivation :D Lets go..
  • Redsky wrote: »
    Great idea im in too!
    You just reminded me; I need toinvest in a cross trainer asap.

I will not buy any books in the coming year. Ive already got PLENTY, and havent read half of them.

I wont buy any shoes for the coming year either, unless I REALLY need to. I already have an infinate amount of boots, converse, pumps and comfy shoes.

Thanks svb53 for the great idea.
    Thanks Jewellery fan for the link.
    & Thanks everyone for the motivation :D Lets go..

Thanks, its a great site.

I've had about 60 swaps from there.
    Its a bit like Ebay in that you leave feedback for each other but you dont pay for anything. All you pay is the postage to send them your book.
    Most normal paperbacks cost £1.85 second class.

So for less than £2 you are getting rid of a book you dont want but someone else does, and you get the book you want too.
    I think its a brilliant idea! :j
  • Redsky_2
    Redsky_2 Posts: 252 Forumite
    I think its a brilliant idea! :j
    Agreed! I never knew such things existed...:beer:
  • Redsky wrote: »
    Agreed! I never knew such things existed...:beer:

No neither did i until about a year ago :D

So now before i buy a book i write down the title and check to see if its available to swap. If its not then i wait and check to see if i can buy it cheaper somewhere else.

Another good site is www.find-book.co.uk a really handy book comparision site. They also have one for dvd's, cd's and games etc :beer:
  • tiptoes
    tiptoes Posts: 386 Forumite
    I like the ide of this thread and had plan to get started on something similar as OH and I are looking to move to reduce or rent. So I could do with reducing the clutter in this place, to make moving easier.

I'm goig to ebay, charity shop and freecycle all the clutter :D
    GC: £400/ £0
  • skipsmum
    skipsmum Posts: 707 Forumite
    svb53 wrote: »

So, my challenge is that in 2010:
    -I will not buy any books until I have read all of the ones that I have. Will put titles of new books that I'd like on a list for when i'm either debt free, or people ask what I'd like for my birthday. Yep, Im in on this one.
    -To use up the endless bottles of moisturiser/body lotion/shower gel/perfume without buying more first and this...got loads for christmas
    -To only buy clothes when what i've got really need replacing. I do 45 hours plus per week on my feet so shoes come and go fairly quickly.But other than that I can't see that I'm going to need much, particularly when there's hardly any room to hang the fresh ironing up in our wardrobe. I have a real problem with buying shoes. Im not sure how to tackle it.

And to sell anything that I've got that isn't being used, i.e. endless suits from Next, designer make up, wedding dress from when we got married 4 years ago, cross trainer that's hardly used etc. I also still have my wedding dress to sell, a year on. And two dry suits. And a major buggy. And about 20 designer dresses, all unworn.

So, it's use it up, or lose it from the house. Whether selling, charity shop or recycling, I want my bills to go down and my house to stop resembling a junk shop.

Anyone else? YES!!!!

SVB x
    Absolutely going to do this!
    With Sparkles! :happylove And Shiny Things!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure