MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Luke keep giving prezzies to Leia's ungrateful kids?

Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Should Luke stop giving prezzies to Leia's kids?

Every Christmas, Luke picks out and posts prezzies to his sister Leia's children. Yet the kids, Jaina and Jacen, never write thank you letters or phone to say cheers. Luke is peeved because he always wrote letters when he was a child, and makes sure his own son does too.

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

threadbanner.gif

Comments

• robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    no he shouldnt

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Yes, because it's not the childrens fault that their parent hasn't taught them that it's good manners to say thankyou.
    Chav names, chav manners.
  • gawd these could be my sister's children.

I used to worry about whether a gift would be suitable especially as they have more toys per sq metre than Hamleys but realised they were so ungrateful that it didn't matter so I don't worry any more.

I only send a pressie to keep the peace with my mum
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • He shouldn't stop giving gifts but could 'shame' them into a thank you by saying 'did you like your gift' next time he saw them.

We have the exact same in our family, my dad sends his nephews money for every birthday and christmas and has never once had a word of thanks, and yet when I was growing up I was always told to phone and say thank you. It's ill mannered not to in my opinion.
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2024 9/53 UU, 3 IN
  • Frank.
    Frank. Posts: 1,216 Forumite
    Luke should use the Force, Leia would feel his presents.
  • Frank. wrote: »
    :D and another :D
  • I think Luke should withhold presents until his nephews come down to collect them or if he goes up and then ask for a thank you, if one is not given withhold future presents until a heartfelt thank you is given.
    Just send an empty christmas card.
    Long time MSE member… just sitting in silence in the background. Make money on the move. Join me and thousands of others.Sign-up to Skedadle with my referral code: QAGBDwww.Skedadle.com(My referral perk - I get 50p in my balance when you earn £1)
  • :T
    Frank. wrote: »

Perhaps send a charity gift next time - going with the use the force idea..
  • Frank.
    Frank. Posts: 1,216 Forumite
    I think Luke should withhold presents until his nephews come down to collect them or if he goes up and then ask for a thank you, if one is not given withhold future presents until a heartfelt thank you is given.
    Just send an empty christmas card.

What should he send to Uncle Yoda though :confused:
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    me and my partner are in the exact same situation with her sister she dont get on with my partner but we have still sent prezzies and they never say thanks
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure