MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. What's the price of romance?

MSE_Jenny
MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
MSE Staff
edited 15 September 2009 at 6:35PM in MoneySaving polls
Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

In the heat of the moment Edward promises to treat his girlfriend, Bella, to a trip to Paris for her birthday, knowing she’s always dreamt of going. Bella gets really excited and can’t stop going on and on about it. Then Edward goes to book Eurostar tickets for that weekend, assuming he’d be able to get them for £59, but there are no cheap trains or flights left; it would cost £300 return for two. Edward has the money, but it was much more than he was banking on.
Should Edward take Bella to Paris?
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View all

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• It depends how much he loves her!

If he's going to propose in Paris, then yes, he should go for it.

If he's not that into her and he really can't afford it, then no. If she loves him, then she'll understand (or offer to go halfers!)
  • I think he should ask Bella what she would like to do! She's a grown-up and might well think that it would be fine to defer the trip for a few weeks until the cheaper fares become available, rather than her boyfriend getting lumbered with a massively expensive gift. Also, if Edward spends so much on her, she might feel bad about not being able to match it when his birthday comes around.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,736
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'd catch a plane for a third of that price instead.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Looks like the game's a bogey.

I would tell her it was off unless she wanted to chip in as well.

If she really loves him she will understand.
  • He should take her, and then learn not to make promises he can't keep! :-)
  • As long as he actually has the money then he should tell her the truth and let her choose whether to go as planned or postpone the trip.

BTW, if it really was Edward and Bella . . . surely they could run there in a flash for free !! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    mmmm, still seeking something witty to be my auto-signature . . . so this will have to suffice for now ;)
  • He should take her, and then learn not to make promises he can't keep! :-)

Agree absolutely!

If he's got the money, and he's already promised her (especially if he knows it's something she really wants) then it would be horrible of him to back out now. And I certainly wouldn't give her the responsibility by whining about the increased cost - he should bear it; he promised before checking prices; it's his problem. Be a man Edward !!
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    He could pay for her to go alone - sounds like she'd be better off without him :rolleyes:
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    if it was my missus id explain that i couldnt afford it shed throw a strop wed have arow and id end up paying for it for feeling guilty
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • Fly, it is cheaper than Eurostar.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport