No takeaway challenge

tjretro
tjretro Posts: 135
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 6 May 2009 at 6:56AM in Debt-free wannabe
Em (my wife) and I realised that a lot of our money was going on takeaways and we decided to embark upon a no takeaway month. The takeaways were costing us around £20-£25 a time, so everytime we feel like having a takeaway we are going to put that amount into the savings account. See how much we have at the end of the month :rotfl:

Anyone else been spending too much on takeaways and fancy joining us on this challenge? So far we are on day 3 out of 28 and no hint of wanting a takeaway yet :T

#1 - tjretro 10/36
#2 - debtfreenewbie
#3 - karen_30
#4 - bowski_1011
#5 - glitterjunkie
#6 - primula 3/31
#7 - tinkdh
#8 - Kezlou 5/28
#9 - timeportal
#10 - puss14
#11 - sharon87
#12 - moneysavingmonkey85 4/31
#13 - ragstoricheswannabe
#14 - twinmom04
#15 - serios
#16 - wigwam 1/29
#17 - fedupandskint 3/31

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Debt Free Wannabe :hello: LBM: 23/01/08
Debt relief order: January 2013 (Discharged Jan 2014)
Jacamo: £115.81. Rebuilding credit rating :D

Comments

• Can I join you? Our last take away was 6 days ago. Weekends are the worse for us if we go into a town.
    I have a jar to put the money in..
  • Karen_30
    Karen_30 Posts: 823 Forumite
    Can I join please??

I don't eat loads of take aways a couple a month (still two too many;)) but am on a diet too so it'll help with the weight and money issues! :D

K x
  • Bowski_1011
    Bowski_1011 Posts: 1,041
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 28 April 2009 at 10:06AM
    Ohh I'd love to join this challenge please! I have cut down my takeaways sooo much since I joined this site but doubt I have ever actually gone a full month without one.

I am also trying to lose weight like so it should help there too. :)

Good luck everyone, I really don't think it's going to be easy!
    Initial Debt July 2020 - £6,772.80
    Debt now Jan 2021 - £6,208.21
    Overpayment pot - £0
  • Can I join in aswell please? Me and OH are so bad for takeaways! We have already been cutting down for a few months now, after realising just how much we were spending on them (as well as wasting food we had in the house). But it's still so tempting on those nights when you can't be bothered to cook!

I think a good idea for us might be to have takeaway style food but just find cheaper alternatives - so you don't feel like you're depriving yourself! For example, we love pizzas, and quite often spend £20 on a Dominos or Pizza Hut - which is ridiculous really, but so yummy! I know you can get supermarket pizzas, but they are a bit boring and just don't compare to a lovely cheesy takeaway one do they? :rotfl:BUT we've recently discovered 'Chicago Town Takeaway' frozen pizzas from the supermarket - they are £2.98 and I think they're actually nicer than Dominos! Having one of those instead of takeaway saves us £17, so we're going to do that in future. Just shove them in the oven for 20 minutes (which is as long as you'd wait for a pizza to arrive anyway!) I make sure we've always got 2 or 3 in the freezer now, for a Friday or Saturday night. I recommend the pepperoni or chicken supreme with tomato sauce stuffed crust :p

We are also bad for spending £20 on Chinese takeaways too though - haven't managed to find a cheaper version of those yet! I've thought of getting those supermarket ones instead, which Tesco and Asda do in plastic bags - they're about £6 for two main meals, and you get all the extras like spring rolls and prawn crackers with it too. They do Indian versions too for £6 - you get 2 curries and naan bread, poppadoms, onion bhajis etc. That would save £14 if we got one of those, rather than a proper takeaway. Might make it this weekend's mission to try one!

Good luck everyone xxx

Attempting to pay off our debts! Balances Jan 2018 -
    Family member £3,700 - Virgin CC £1,000 - MBNA £1,700 - Barclaycard £2,500 (was £2,700) - Halifax CC £1,280
  • crystal9
    crystal9 Posts: 3,813
    Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Can I join in aswell please? Me and OH are so bad for takeaways! We have already been cutting down for a few months now, after realising just how much we were spending on them (as well as wasting food we had in the house). But it's still so tempting on those nights when you can't be bothered to cook!

I think a good idea for us might be to have takeaway style food but just find cheaper alternatives - so you don't feel like you're depriving yourself! For example, we love pizzas, and quite often spend £20 on a Dominos or Pizza Hut - which is ridiculous really, but so yummy! I know you can get supermarket pizzas, but they are a bit boring and just don't compare to a lovely cheesy takeaway one do they? :rotfl:BUT we've recently discovered 'Chicago Town Takeaway' frozen pizzas from the supermarket - they are £2.98 and I think they're actually nicer than Dominos! Having one of those instead of takeaway saves us £17, so we're going to do that in future. Just shove them in the oven for 20 minutes (which is as long as you'd wait for a pizza to arrive anyway!) I make sure we've always got 2 or 3 in the freezer now, for a Friday or Saturday night. I recommend the pepperoni or chicken supreme with tomato sauce stuffed crust :p

We are also bad for spending £20 on Chinese takeaways too though - haven't managed to find a cheaper version of those yet! I've thought of getting those supermarket ones instead, which Tesco and Asda do in plastic bags - they're about £6 for two main meals, and you get all the extras like spring rolls and prawn crackers with it too. They do Indian versions too for £6 - you get 2 curries and naan bread, poppadoms, onion bhajis etc. That would save £14 if we got one of those, rather than a proper takeaway. Might make it this weekend's mission to try one!

Good luck everyone xxx
    great idea this, we have the indian ones from tesco and asda and i find them just as good and like you said a lot cheaper. good luck to you all
    have now given up smoking since feb 13th 2014 loving the money I'm saving
  • jessibell
    jessibell Posts: 25 Forumite
    crystal9 wrote: »
    great idea this, we have the indian ones from tesco and asda and i find them just as good and like you said a lot cheaper. good luck to you all

I love the Indian butter chicken and the korma from asda, both DEFINATELY as good as local take away if not better! :T
  • tjretro
    tjretro Posts: 135
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hey folks :j I think I have added everyone who wanted to be on the list, if I missed anyone give me a shout. We were easily spending £100+ a month on takeaways, plus they were making me ill (lactose intolerant and not allowed gluten, obviously both in takeaways!:rolleyes:) Hoping it will help with my weightloss as well :T
    Debt Free Wannabe :hello: LBM: 23/01/08
    Debt relief order: January 2013 (Discharged Jan 2014)
    Jacamo: £115.81. Rebuilding credit rating :D
  • Primula
    Primula Posts: 953 Forumite
    Hi all
    Tjretro - can I join in too please? I have drastically cut down on the takeaways since I became "addicted" to this site, but still give in to temptation every so often. :o
    Thank you, and good luck all.
    P
    X
  • Tinkdh
    Tinkdh Posts: 33 Forumite
    I'd love to join this challenge! Going on holiday on the 16th May so would love to go for that long without a takeaway.

Not sure how my husband is going to fare on this one as I am a terrible cook!!!

Our last takeaway was 8 days ago (I sound like a takeawayaholic!). Will put the money away in my little pot.
  • Bowski_1011
    Bowski_1011 Posts: 1,041
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm gonna do my challenge for the whole of May. I'll put it in my sig. I'm just trying to decide if it counts if someone else buys it? I know the whole idea is to save money so if someone else buys it then thats ok but as I'm doing it for diet reasons aswell then it should count. Will someone please tell me that i'm not allowed one even if someone else buys it haha! Don't think I have the will power to make the decision myself ;)
    Initial Debt July 2020 - £6,772.80
    Debt now Jan 2021 - £6,208.21
    Overpayment pot - £0
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills