PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick gel alternative for fruit flan

Options
I want to make a fruit flan but haven't got any quick gel and I'm also trying to cut out a lot of preservatives, how can I put the jelly on the top of the fruit without the quick gel stuff? Have lots of gelatine and falovuorings but not sure how to go about it?

Comments

• halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    Somehow that went from flavourings to the above spelling!
    Is there any way of using jams either as I have a few I want to use up?
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your gelatine pack should have instructions to make a basic gel on it, shouldn't it, and then you could add flavourings to suit. I've put a layer of jam in a flan case before and I don't see why you couldn't use some in a gel mix...hm... :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I thought you were after a hair gel alternative for a moment icon11.gif
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    Sorry glad - don't think jam would work on my hair - although it may improve its look - having v. bad hair day!
  • Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Options
    Hoping someone can help me out here....
    Bought flan case and strawbs yesterday - I've only ever used quick jel to make a flan, but haven't got any. I do however have jelly granules and some (think quite old) gelatine. Can I use either of these instead? How do I go about it? Sorry if it seems obvious to some of you - it isn't to me :p
    Kaz x
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
    Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    Follow the instructions on the jelly granules. You normally sprinkle them onto boiling water, top up with a bit of cold, give it all a good stir until it's dissolved, then pour it onto the strawbs whixch you've arranged on the flan case. The gelatine wouldn't have any flavour so don't use that.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Options
    :o I thought I'd have to do something special to stop it soaking straight through the flan case.....:o
    You'll have to excuse me.... I'm blonde :p
    Thanks Wigginsmum,
    Kaz x
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
    Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    I'd try leaving it till it's set a little before you pour it on. But then I like flan with jelly soaked through :) I find flan cases very dry.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    black-saturns meal planner thread mentions doing it with jelly.
    I've made it with gelatine before,you need to use some kind of fruit juice instead of water when you make it up.
  • fizzel81
    fizzel81 Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    Options
    i think (i could be wrong) the only real difference between quick gel and jelly is the quick jel sets quicker

strange i know but if anyone wants 3 sachets of quick gel i will happily send it to them, i bought 2 double packs as they were on buy1 get1 free made a flan and no one but me would eat it hence its not something i will be makeing again
    DFW nerd club number 039 :p 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :money: i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb £6,247.98/£6282.80 :T
    sealed pot 2670g
    2009 target £4k + cb £643.89:eek: /£6412.80
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills