PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick gel alternative for fruit flan

Options

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    If you put less boiling water in the jelly, than add ice to bring it to about 2/3 pint, it should set quicker & be a bit thicker like quickjel.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • fizzel81
    fizzel81 Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    Options
    quickgel has a home lol, will try to post later today
    DFW nerd club number 039 :p 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :money: i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb £6,247.98/£6282.80 :T
    sealed pot 2670g
    2009 target £4k + cb £643.89:eek: /£6412.80
  • CaptainSensible
    Options
    I have always done this with arrowroot (though no good if you don't have any). It is a powder that you mix with water and then heat on the stove until it thickens (like a sauce). The mixture is cloudy at first and then goes clear when it gets hot. Like gelatine, it has no flavour and needs to be made with fruit juice or syrup.

To stop the flan going soggy, let the jelly set a bit first, pour in a small amount into the empty flan case and spread it around to seal it. Then arrange the fruit on and pour over the rest.
  • morg_monster
    morg_monster Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    Options
    You can make the jelly with less water than normal then it will set thicker.
  • sogs
    sogs Posts: 243 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone tell me to make a fruit flan, well I have the sponge I just need to add the fruit and jelly filling in the middle, tried this last week with fruit and used gelatine but flan just went soggy and it wasnt nice!! thought I would try again using flavoured jelly and fruit. any suggestions please!!!!

thanks
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    sogs wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me to make a fruit flan, well I have the sponge I just need to add the fruit and jelly filling in the middle, tried this last week with fruit and used gelatine but flan just went soggy and it wasnt nice!! thought I would try again using flavoured jelly and fruit. any suggestions please!!!!

thanks

This any good - jelly for flan :confused:

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • MILLYMOLLY
    MILLYMOLLY Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    Options
    Trying to make a fruit flan and have put fruit on sponge base do you tink it's best to put jelly on top or gelatin. I've never used gelatin befors but have made it using one pint water to one sachet of gelatin. Don't mind changing to jelly if that would taste better, rather that than loose all the fruit .:confused:
    Starting to save £2 coins again, but it is a struggle:rotfl:Not doing very well keep spending them
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi MillyMolly,

I usually make it with jelly. There's an earlier thread that may help:

jelly for flan

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the replies together.

Pink
  • floyd
    floyd Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If its for s simple fruit flan I would use quick-gel but if its for a more swanky fruit tartlet I use redcurrant jelly or apricot jam depending what colour the fruit is. I read recently about sieved marmalade being a good option as it hass a nice tang.

I would imagine that jelly would be too stiff and would probably just slosh through onto the sponge base as its not viscous enough to just coat the top, same with gelatin.

I am sure someone on here posted that they had a disaster trying to put jelly on a flan.
  • katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    I use quick gel, but pour it on quite quickly as it sets with some rapidity!
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family