Great Instructions to Take with a Pinch of Salt Hunt

Options
MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
What's it about?

Have you ever read the instructions on something you’ve bought and thought rather than helping you they’re designed simply to make you spend more? Obviously you’d not put your or your family’s health at risk but where a shampoo bottle tells you to shampoo and rinse twice do you do it just because it says so? I’d like to tap MoneySavers’ suggestions on which products you would or wouldn’t follow the instructions on.

Click reply below to let me know.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• tattoed_bum
    tattoed_bum Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Options
    the amount it tells you on the washing powder box i usually half what it say's

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Options
    Any washing powder/tablets or dishwashing powder/tablets, in fact I reduce the amount of almost all cleaning products and they do the job just as well.

Also toothpaste, on adverts they always cover the toothbrush but you're only meant to use a pea sized amount.
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The suggested amounts on dog foods are normally waaaaaay too much for the average family pet - if your dog is getting fat, try cutting down the amount you're feeding - your pet will thank you for it (Eventually).
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    I no longer look at the amounts required on washing tablets - I put 1 1/2 in and it does just fine. In fact, if I used the amount they said I ended up with a bit left in the net and powder left on the clothes! I also put very little softener in - you just don't need as much as they say.

I agree with the toothpaste comment too - having the amount they suggest on the picture can actually cause discolouration in the teeth of children with milk teeth due to too much fluoride!

As for the shampoo, I do shampoo and rinse twice but only because my hair is very thick and I have to use a little shampoo the first time just to encourage it to get thoroughly clean. I have tried it just with one shampoo but it just didn't feel right. I don't use their conditioner though!

As for the goods that say use only with X brand, well I have never done so and never had a problem because of that!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • ZLS1984
    ZLS1984 Posts: 1,246 Forumite
    Options
    Will have a think on this one but wanted to make some comments on the replies left if I am allowed.

With Shampoo I always buy mine from the pound shop as it works out a lot cheaper than supermarkets. I only wash my hair once but that is because I have to use a lot due to my way ward hair.

Soap powder, I always use half of what they say I find my clothes come out cleaner. I also only put half of the softner needed in and I water it down a bit.

The thing I do not listen to, is when you buy a childrens toy and it says that it works better with so so product. It just adds more to the cost of the product if you buy the most money batteries. I also hate when they say best with the other play set attached, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr it gets my goat.
    :wave: Wins in 09 = A vodka cocktail kit thing lol, £150 Amazon voucher.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    ...but where a shampoo bottle tells you to shampoo and rinse twice do you do it just because it says so?

No, I do it because it does a better job that shampooing and rinsing once (which I've also tried) - and shampooing and rinsing more than twice is overkill!
    Stompa
  • gunsandbanjos
    Options
    Cant remember the exact brand of water, think it may be Evian? Anyway, on the back of the bottle it says that the bottle is only designed to hold evian water and shouldnt be refilled:rotfl:
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • newmumincov
    Options
    Stompa wrote: »
    No, I do it because it does a better job that shampooing and rinsing once (which I've also tried) - and shampooing and rinsing more than twice is overkill!

I can't do with washing my hair twice. However, I have dry hair.

Actually I find it's better if I only shampoo every other time I wash my hair, and only use conditioner the other time.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    the amount it tells you on the washing powder box i usually half what it say's

Washing machine repair guy told me years ago that the majority of problems are caused by using too much washing powder. He said to half what they suggest then half that again.
  • twocoats
    Options
    Drink bottled water? Have you ever spelled Evian backwards?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure