🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Bank Charges - illegal?

Options

Comments

• kaznelson
    Options
    1st Hurdle

Telephoning Barclays for a fax number

"Sorry we dont have a fax number"

"The whole of Barclays Plc doesnt have a fax"

"No We dont"

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • davilown
    davilown Posts: 2,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kaznelson wrote:
    Does anyone know if any of the Bank have managed to defend any claims and not issuing refunds?

Any does anyone have a Fax Number for Barclays HO?
    Can you pm it to me if you get it please

Mnay thanks

beer monster
    30th June 2021 completely debt free…. Downsized, reduced working hours and living the dream.
  • kaznelson
    Options
    Still searching but found a great site that gives you Bank numbers and how to get through to an operator without going through all the options

https://www.quickbase.com/db/ba773tcmj?a=q&qid=46

Hope it is Ok to post this link
  • ali82
    ali82 Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    That is so handy, thanks :)
  • Pere_Ubu
    Options
    kaznelson wrote:
    1st Hurdle

"No We dont"

Do banks have to register at Companies House if so get their registration documents and see what names and other contact details on on the forms. There is a charge for this but once one person gets it the details could then be posted here!!
  • Lotta_Littlies
    Options
    kaznelson wrote:
    1st Hurdle

"No We dont"

Here is one - 020 7398 5353

Lotta
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, how big my house was, or what kind of car I drove. But the world may be a little better, because I was important in the life of a child."
  • homer_j_3
    homer_j_3 Posts: 3,266 Forumite
    Options
    ali82 wrote:
    From what I've heard and by other people's comments - it is covered so don't let them bully you, they are just trying to get out giving you your information as they know what’s coming next! Have a look at:

http://www.ico.gov.uk/documentUploads/webversion%204%2004.10.042.pdf

At the bottom of page 2 (found by fagun)

I doesn't matter if your account is closed or not they still have access to it.

Thanks, I have already quoted this adnd the woman said she had read that too but they were prepared to argue it with the IC. I have printed a complaint form off and will be sending today.

I will be calling them later to advise this and to also put the point across that I should be able to get a list of charges applied to my account as part of the information so they can do more work. I wont let them bully me but just wondered whether this was the norm for yorks bank..
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • kaznelson
    Options
    Thank You Lotta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bookworm1363
    Options
    The trick is not be aggressive in your letter and explain how you have been with them for x number of years and they usually back down.

Ah, good one!... Unfortunately, totally wrong. Barclaycard will refund you ONCE and once only as a "goodwill gesture" and will give you a patronising lecture in the process on how to handle your finances. :mad:

As for Barclays, they have now altered their T&Cs to advise that they will refund you ONCE if you haven't been refunded in the previous 12 months. (Received leaflet this AM). Methinks they can feel the winds of change blowing their way, and are going to try that approach as the new fob-off for people wanting their 6 years worth of illegal charges back :rolleyes:

xxx
    ML
  • gothicf0rm
    Options
    well the halifax have made me a full out of court offer. they havent even bothered to file a defence. the most interesting thing is they still say the bank charges are my fault (most of them arent) and then say they are settling because of commercial reasons - theyd win but their costs would be more than the money they owe me. yeah yeah... solicitors dont cost almost 2 grand for an afternoon.

i argued that as of jan 2004 the charges were greater than my overdraft level and therefore the entire overdraft existed because of the charges and they should refund all the interest theyd taken from my account from this moment on. after the first charge had that money been instantly refunded i would never have gone over my overdraft limit ever so they should also refund the entire difference between the authorised and unauthorised interest rates from this point which was december 2001. i think im the first person to have stuck this in his claim.

i have replied to the halifax telling them their offer is acceptable and that i will withdraw the claim after they have paid the money into my account. should there be delays i will proceed with the legal action until the money is paid in so im guessing they'll make a deposit tomorrow.

i think this shows you can enlarge the scope of your complaint past the charges and 8% interest under the county courts act and also get the interest theyve charged you that is a direct result of the charges.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport