Tipping takeaway drivers??!

Options

Comments

• ZootHornRollo
    Options
    i dont tip... not to sound rude but what other job gets a tip i work in retail on min wage i dont get a tip for doing my job so i do see why if i do treat myself with a takeaway why they should get a tip for doing there job sorry if this sounds mean xxxx

i totally agree with you.

I used to work in shops and probably got paid less than the delivery drivers.

i feel the same about restaraunts. If i get REALLY good service i will tip, especially if part of a big group and the waiting staff work really hard to keep everyone happy.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You cant always compare others jobs to delivery jobs, why because although both get minimum wage, often drivers pay for there own car, wear and tear, deprecation, petrol. Many drivers have not got increase to reflect the true cost of petrol let alone the other costs associated with having a car. I would gladly use works car, they pay petrol etc and I get minimum wage

Far from being a easy job you have to encounter idiots on road, smack heads and drunken stoopers and yes I been in a few escapes with people even throwing things at car when I go out, I am also worried about being mugged (some areas are rough) or broken into, the other driver did some months back.

I had one nutter hit my car mirror, I caught him and I said we will sort this out with police he then believe or not assaulted himself and then claimed I hit him, thankfully a member of the public saw this and intervened

I think a lot of customers want delivery because they know full well its cheaper to have it delivered then get car out and drive.

As I said I dont expect tips but even the smallest of tips say 50p can really add up and pay the petrol.

Last night I got £35 for 4 hours work of that I spent about £6-£7 of petrol thats £7.25 per hour now factor in the other hidden costs of the car, my car 95% is just for this job as I dont use it most of the time. I did 40+ miles on that night. Now what ever happened to 40p per mile the bare minimum hat government recommends

So I say it again, I gladly get £5.52 min wage and drive someone elses car and they pay petrol

Shop work + £5.52 + possibly staff discount
    Takeaway £7+£8 an hour depending on calls (the more you work the more get paid, but depends on how busy you are). Pay own car, serving, petrol (£5-£8 a night). Free meal £5 on a night (you get sick of them after a while)
    Waiter + min wage + tips are expected in most restaurants (they spend as much time with your food as we do but you dont see us the full time as we travel
  • searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    Options
    not being bad but you choose to be a delivery person nobody made you and if you cant afford it then dont xxx
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • savemoney
    Options
    I know I am just saying you cant compare minimum wage shop work to delivery as its not that straight forward

The tips make a big difference even if its small its appreciated
  • searching_me
    Options
    but we all work and earn our money and if i earn my money and paying to get a takeaway why should i have to give you a tip for doing your job which you do anyway and get paid to do xxx
  • savemoney
    Options
    Perhaps you would be happy paying more for having your takeway delivered factoring the true cost of it having delivered and the driver gets minimum wage, drives works car and then pay petrol and we are all happy :)

Has your takeway increased at all, food, gas it costs to cook and petrol have all increased a lot over recent months?
  • searching_me
    Options
    but once again you cant complain if you choose the job i dont wanna sound like strooge but we all take on our jobs knowing whats involved and the cost that it be you do that job... i dont ask my customers for a tip for doing my job as that is the job i took on i choose it i deal with it xxx
  • domestic_goddess
    Options
    but we all work and earn our money and if i earn my money and paying to get a takeaway why should i have to give you a tip for doing your job which you do anyway and get paid to do xxx

You don't have to if you dont want to :mad:

Save money is just making a point that tips are always nice bearing in mind the extra costs that he incurs delivering a pizza.
  • Antispam
    Antispam Posts: 6,636 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use to do it last year until Xmas, the wages were minimum wage and I had to pay for own car and petrol

I gave it up when petrol started going up as it just wasn't worth doing any more due to rising costs. I dread to think how much it costs now with petrol going up so much

Tips are very nice and I agree they do make a difference. I also find it hard at night finding numbers, I know the local area very well dont need satnav. I also had to use own mobile and ring some customers up so you have to add that in as a cost too

I knew one guy who got mugged and had to pay out of his own wages the costs of the nights takings and it was over £300 fortunately it wasn't where I work it was a Turkish place. I worked in a local pizza house not well known one as they are always asking for drivers, I wonder why?
  • maniac886
    maniac886 Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    Options
    I always tip in restaurants but not takeaway drivers because all the takeaways here charge for delivery!
    "He's a maniac, maniac that's for sure,
    He will kill your cat and nail him to the door" :eek:
    Murphys No More Pies Club Member #95
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills