Tipping takeaway drivers??!

Options

Comments

• savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I used to get paid £6 an hour and that was it. Then a driver left there were 3 of us, now 2, and I work a lot harder but there is a incentive to work harder that's one of reason I hate calls further away, more petrol costs for me and sit driving, I rather be earning money delivering quickly.

I do like job and got real pally with many even some that dont tip, I enjoy the job but it would be nice if I got more and not just tips thats one of reason I stayed doing it for 18 months, but unless I get more rise within next 6 months due to petrol again I may have to leave, price of fuel is a real killer. For all those who dont tip, even if it was just 50p its nowt but it makes a BIG difference to driver as it helps them keep going.

I hate it being late for customers but its not my fault, like I said you have some many calls, and there is a queue for people waiting for meals to be cooked, then the time it takes me to get back and get the next lot.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I only once every had a fiver and that was going to delivery to a party, I try and give freebies to big orders like fortune cookies or extra bag of prawn crackers.
    sadie22 wrote: »
    i always give a £1, and at xmas i give the same drivers a £5 each,
    our chinease are excellent, best food in the area, and are always wiling to tweek our dishes to what we want. ie no salt added to dishes, more veg, there brill.
  • Danni
    Danni Posts: 345 Forumite
    Options
    I've just been out with my friend, who is a pizza delivery driver for the pizza shop below my flat. He appreciates tips, and was very happy to receive a £4 tip tonight (address was awkward to get to) but he doesn't expect them. They do charge delivery based on how far it is from the shop, as that's to cover petrol/car costs.

As for me personally, I tip unless I have a reason not to- I won't tip if the delivery driver is unpleasant, the food is really late (depending on how far away I am from the shop I normally give about an hour) or something similar. I normally tip around £1, though it can be more if it's from a shop further away (when I lived in my last place I much preferred the pizza/Chinese food from the village I live in now, which is about 4 miles by road from my old village).
    Purple Penguin Power!
  • Princess_Jane
    Options
    I have a 2nd job as a pizza delivery driver and tips are not expected but always welcome.

I get a couple of pence over min wage plus a £1 for every delivery, but some of the place we deliver to are a 15-mile round trip from the store, so that doesn't cover it.

And I would LOVE it if everyone had door numbers that lit up. Don't know how many times I've driven round and round a street, especially new builds, where five or six houses in a row don't have a number.

Customers who come to the door, look at you in great surprise, as if they haven't ordered a pizza, then disappear for ten min looking for their wallet while you get rained on are also a down side, as are customers who try to pay with card at the door - err, where am I gonna scan that?

Or people who don't listen out for the door, so you have to ring their phones, using your bill.

Or people who want you to come into flats to deliver - company policy says we don't, because of the risk of robbery and as a petite female I definitely don't. I've had customers throw absolute wobblers because I've asked politely if they would mind coming to the main door.

I'm sure they wouldn't like their daughters or partners to be on the 12th floor of a tower block at midnight with a bag full of cash.

Most of my customers are lovely people though, but it does make me laugh when lads come to door in boxers, not expecting a girl, or girls come to the door in their pants, thinking they're gonna give a male driver a cheap thrill - yes it does happen!
    DEBT FREE! Sep '08/£9,800 in Oct '06 :beer:
  • brightonman123
    brightonman123 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    Options
    http://tipthepizzaguy.com/ is worth a read, esp the driver stories!
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    Wow, me and DH had a conversation about this just last night!

We ordered a pizza from Domino's which we do every now and again (usually when there is a good voucher on hotukdeals) but, as usual, we paid online.

The guy loitered a bit, and when DH came back in, he said he wonders sometimes if they expect a tip.

Personally, I think they are doing, and being paid for, a job so I see no reason why I would tip them. I possibly would if I was paying in cash (rather than make them fish around for change) but not if paying online.

The assistants in my local shop are on the NMW, but I don't feel the need to tip them, so why delivery drivers?

And, what if the customer is on a low income too? If you can get a good voucher, it can be a treat every now and again, and not necessarily an indication that the customer is well off iyswim?

Just my opinion of course! I can't believe this is on here after we discussed it just last night. Thanks OP - it is interesting to see what others think and get the drivers' point of view too.
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Now we have the minimum wage everyone, including service staff should be getting it. When I do a bit of temp work, I quite often get minimum wage as a receptionist, admin staff or in a call centre and I never ever get a tip. So why should delivery people?

However I do give one. Why? Because it's expected; because I look mean if I don't; because the delivery person/waitress whatever looks disappointed if they don't get one, and I'd feel far worse saving a couple of quid by not tipping, than giving a tip.:o
  • Toto
    Toto Posts: 6,680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I feel over generous now. I always tip, usually 10% of the order or there abouts. I do the same in a restaurant so see it as the same service charge.
    :A
    :A
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
  • BillScarab
    BillScarab Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    I often tip in restaurants but only if I think the staff do something to deserve it. A tip should be for doing something extra, not just for doing your job. None of the delivery drivers who deliver to us have ever looked like they expect a tip.
    It's my problem, it's my problem
    If I feel the need to hide
    And it's my problem if I have no friends
    And feel I want to die

• searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    Options
    i dont tip... not to sound rude but what other job gets a tip i work in retail on min wage i dont get a tip for doing my job so i do see why if i do treat myself with a takeaway why they should get a tip for doing there job sorry if this sounds mean xxxx
    :)Still searching .....:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport