PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

spruce up your sprouts

Options
for those of you mad enough to acutally like them

try cauliflower cheese only  use sprouts instead of the cauli

old fart loves them like that

???

or try some of these

http://www.justvegetablerecipes.com/veg-0014176.html

Comments

• Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    We do vegetarian sprouts hash, combining them (cooked and mashed) with mashed spuds, fried onion and grated cheese. Sliced tomatoes on top and a bit more cheese to give a golden effect, stick in the oven for half an hour, and yummmm ;D

Sleep in separate rooms ;) lol :-[
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That sound luuurvly Bogof Babe, will give it a go.
    Havn't got a spare room for either of us to move to so we'll just have to umparpar together ;D
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    eeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuwwwwwwwww that sounds disgusting cathy but I'll try anything once , love sprouts  ;)
    like the idea of alsatian potato puffs ;D great site :)
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Last Xmas, my sis in law did the dinner. We had shredded sprouts pan fried with bacon and garlic. Was absolutely scrummy. Must try them again soon. Mind you, I do that already with green cabbage instead of the sprouts. :)
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My husband makes a mean bubble and squeak type of fry-up using potatoes, carrots, onions and sprouts, all steamed first to soft then fried up in the wok.

Yummy!!!

Sprouts are also very nice raw, finely chopped, to be used as you would use cabbage, in coleslaw.

Why all the eurghhhh? I did not know that sprouts make people fart - maybe because as vegetarians we already fart so much that a bit of extra goes unnoticed ;)

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you a vegetarian then Caterina?
  • Caterina
    Options
    Yes, I am vegetarian, and so is my daugther.

My husband eats fish (very occasionally) but no meat; my son was vegetarian until age 10 then decided to start eating meat and now he will eat anything. But he has a mainly vegetarian diet as after a bit of meat he gets fed up and reverts to pizza hehehehe.

I have on very rare occasions (once or twice a year) strayed and eaten fish, especially when I was travelling through Scotland - just couldn't resist it.

A bit like with fags- I don't smoke but on very rare occasions I scrounge one, at a party maybe, then feel guilty and go back to the straight and narrow for ages hehehehe! Nobody's perfect! ;)

Ciao

Caterina
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cheers Caterina

I suggested to a member who is trying to cut down on shopping bills and is also a vegetarian to start a thread on here about veggie meals (I told her you loved a challenge ;)) and that was before I knew you were a vegetarian yourself.
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    Options
    Bogof Babes sprouts sound loverly but I have to admit that I love sprouts and can eat a plate of them just as they are ;D

I'm a veggie too but the rest of the house isnt :( Although we've been eating veggie for the last 4 weeks to save some pennies ;D ;D ;D But hubby couldn't resist some chicken in his stir fry tonight ::)
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • Caterina
    Options
    Hi Spendless,

I have found that sometimes as a vegetarian, also committed to eating local/organic (where possible) and avoiding supermarkets as much as I can, sometimes it is more expensive than being a meat eater who does not care much where his or her food comes from.

Factory farmed chicken is so cheap to buy, likewise the horror burgers that are made of reconstituted meat, or sausages, danish salami, you name it, it is quite cheap to cook a meal with some meat these days, unless you choose prime cuts.

It takes quite a lot of planning for me to feed my family well, mostly organic and local, and still manage it within a tight-ish budget.

I buy lots of grains and pulses in bulk, as well as olive and sunflower oils, detergents, stock powder (marigold), flour, sunflower seeds, nuts etc.

I recycle leftovers religiously without telling my family of course, because teenagers are notoriously squeamish hehehe.

Today I made a lovely barley stew with a cup of barley (from a 5kg bag which will last me the winter hopefully), 2 carrots, 1/4 cabbage, 1 head of broccoli and 2 onions. Added a spoonful of marigold stock powder and simmered for 2 hours. Served with homemade bread (from bread machine I hasten to add....) and a chunk of cheese for the veggies (not organic but bought on the market, a lovely camembert that is nearly over dates so it is nice and runny) and a piece of organic chicken for my son.

Pudding: I always have plenty of fruit. The Steiner Kindergarten across the road from me has an arrangement with an organic box scheme. They buy stuff in bulk and then sell it to parents and neighbours at a very small mark up. So I get very nice organic
    veg and fruit for much less than I would buy in the shops or even regular box schemes.

I also shop at the local farmers' market. Some stuff is more expensive but for example I can buy a very large bag of tomatoes for a couple of quid by going late in the day and ask the guy for soft tomatoes 'for sauce'. The best ones I use in salad, the others I turn into tomato sauce.

Fruit in season is also very cheap, and veg can be bought by weight, so in theory I could buy the proverbial 'small onion for 5 p'!

I grow some veg in my garden but that's a small one and it is north facing, so not much comes up. But we always have some rocket leaves to spruce up a salad, and at the moment I have a good beetroot crop. Maybe we will get an allotment but we are so busy that it might over-stretch us timewise, so we haven't decided to do so yet.

I think that, because of putting quite a lot of thougth in the way I shop, I am not spending much more than if I was shopping in the 'regular' way (e.g in supermarkets etc).

If I gave up organic altogether and stopped being fussy about buying local etc I could save a fortune, but I really care for the environmental issues that come with food shopping so I am willing to pay a little more.

I hope that this is useful to your friend!

Love

Caterina
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure