PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

what can i do with left over egg yolks?!?

Options
Hello all,
I'll be doing my Christmas baking this week - yum...and I'm going to use lots of egg whites for different recipes - but will have lots of left over yolks. I hate just chucking them out and would like to use them in a recipe, so does anyone have a suggestion?? My mum thought perhaps lemon curd would be good to use them up - but all the recipes we have use whole eggs.
Any other yummy yolk ;) ideas would be greatfully received - I'm trying my best to squeeze my shopping budget down and don't want to waste precious food!
cheers and enjoy the festive season!
Catherine ;)
Are we still waiting to sing as hummingbirds?

Comments

• Squidgy
    Squidgy Posts: 684 Forumite
    Options
    You could try making fresh custard for your yummy puddings, I'm sure that uses egg yolks
    It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know
  • catherineblack
    Options
    thanks! custard would be great, a nice winter warmer.
    cheers! ;)
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Options
    Whisk egg yolks and freeze them in ice cube trays, then you always have some handy when you need them. To keep them stable you either have to add salt or sugar before freezing. 1/8 tsp salt to 4 egg yolks or 1/2 tsp sugar. Remember and label as to whether yolks will be for sweet or savoury dishes!

Use for binding stuffing ingredients.

Mix with left mashed over potato, and make into little patties and fry. Try varying this by adding grated cheese and/or cooked veg. Or make into potato croquettes, dipped in breadcrumbs and shallow fried or baked in oven.

Duchesse potatoes - add about 3 egg yolks to approx 1 1/2 lb mashed potatoes with some butter/marg. Place into piping bag. Pipe in small swirly circles (sort of thing) onto baking tray, brush with extra egg yolk and bake in hot oven for about 10 mins until golden brown.

Use for making home made mayonnaise, or hollandaise sauce.

Use for dipping food in when coating with breadcrumbs.

My version of broccolli and tomato flan, when M&S years ago changed their recipe to using more common egg quiche recipe - nothing wrong with it, I just loved the older version better. Obviously you can try other veggies rather than broccolli.

Shortcrust pastry - line flan dish, !!!!!! with fork and bake blind for about 5 mins or so.
    Home made thick tomato sauce, or use from jar.
    Broccolli florets steamed, drained and cut into small pieces.
    Approx 1/2 pint thick white sauce - allow to cool slightly. Then beat in 2 egg yolks & approx 2 oz. grated cheese (optional)

Spread tomato sauce onto flan base, cover with broccolli florets. Top with white sauce mix and bake in oven for 25-30 mins gas mark 6. Allow to sit for good 5 mins before serving. Nice with baby potatoes, or cold served with salad.
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    You can use extra egg yolks in quiche - i make 2 x 9" at a time and use 1 egg and 3 yolks and then make meringues (I have hens so egg management is big here ;D). Yorkishire puddings - I use 6 eggs instead of 2 - they're climbing out of the oven when cooked! You could just use 2 eggs and add yolks. Same with cakes, ommelettes, scrambled eggs etc. - extra yolk won't hurt.

Before I had hens, I always thought it a waste of an egg when it said "glaze with beaten egg", now it's different. Egg yolk with a little water will do this.
  • Squidgy
    Squidgy Posts: 684 Forumite
    Options
    What about some mayo? I think that's made with egg yolks?
    It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know
  • Fionnuala_2
    Options
    Somewhere on another thread someone mentioned egg yolk is a good hair conditioner. So you could just bung it on your head! ;D
  • catherineblack
    Options
    thanks for all your tips! i think i may try out a quiche recipe - as the old man prefers savoury to sweet foods :P...but then again - I may just use the yolks on my hair - because I'm worth it!! ;)

have a great Christmas!
    Catherine :-*
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    egg yolks are good for conditioning hair, just rub in leave for 5 mins and rinse under cool water (or else it scrambles, and takes forever to pick out.)
  • nabowla
    nabowla Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    When I have spare egg yolks, I often use my grandmother's recipe for Gold Cake:

3/4 cup sugar
    3oz butter
    3 egg yolks
    1/2 cup milk
    1 1/2 cups SR flour
    Lemon essence

Beat butter and sugar to cream. Add egg yolks (well beaten), then milk and essence, then flour. Bake in moderate oven for 35 min.
  • jazzyjustlaw
    jazzyjustlaw Posts: 1,378 Forumite
    Options
    I have just made Meringues yum yum - in oven - cant wait. But as I have used 6 egg whites I need to know what I can do with the 6 yolks. Any ideas guys?
    All my views are just that and do not constitute legal advice in any way, shape or form.£2.00 savers club - £20.00 saved and banked (got a £2.00 pig and not counted the rest)Joined Store Cupboard Challenge]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure