PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Glut of Cucumbers!

Ok all you OS peeps......we've found uses for most things......prehaps you can help me with CUCUMBERS....

I've always got a couple in the fridge - DD2 munches on them like a rabbit...but sometimes we get to the stage where i've got one just going a little squishy.

Apart from the slices on your eyes what other uses can we find for the humble cucumber..........
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.

Comments

• Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    They juice well. Add them in with carrots or celery.

What about these on that hot day that will be our summer? :)

Cucumber Lemonade
    • 1 cucumber, peeled and cubed
    • 1 lemon
    • 5 c water
    • Sugar to taste

Add cucumber and water to a blender and puree. Strain. Add juice of lemon and sugar to taste. Serve over ice.

Cucumber Lemonade
    • 1 seedless (English) cucumber, peeled and finely shredded
    • 2 quarts lemonade
    Grate the cucumber into the pitcher of lemonade. Stir well. Garnish glasses with a thin cucumber slice or very thin slices of both cucumber and lemon slit and placed on the rim.
  • Morning everyone, my cucumber plant has gone into overdrive and despite giving loads away, I’m still left with four large cucumbers which need using.

Does anyone have a good recipe for a chutney or pickle I could make with them or any other suggestions for using up cucumbers??
    It's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    There are some (one?) recipe(s) in our Old Style Recipe Collection, and others in the Cooking section of the MEGA Index sticky at the top of th Old Style forum listing.

You can find the Recipe Collection in our "Indexed Collections" sticky at the top of the forum listing, or you can follow the clue in my signature any time you see it or...

..you can use the Indexed Collections link in the Blue Bar at the top of every page which looks something like this:-

pagetop.gif
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • henhog
    henhog Posts: 2,786 Forumite
    Looked in my Marguerite Patten Jam book and she has three cucumber recipes - jam, pickled and sweet pickled.

The pickled cucumber is easy - just leave them whole if they are small or cut into slices if they are bigger. If you want them to stay firm just put salt over them over night and in the morning rinse in cold water. Then pack them into sterilized jars, cover with pickling vinegar and seal the jars. To make sweet pickled cucumber follow the above recipe but add 2 teaspoons of sugar to each pint of vinegar.

To make the jam peel and slice the cucumber and put it in a big pan with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Simmer gently until soft. Mash it with a woodern spoon or the potato masher to make anice soft pulp. Add 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice and the sugar and stir until dissolved. turn the heat up and boil rapidly until setting point is reached and then put into sterilized jars.

Hope these are nice!
  • Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Slice one thinly, mix with half a thinly sliced onion, some white wine vinegar and some sugar to taste.

Eat - it is almost sweet and sour salad.
  • Personally I can get through vast amounts of cucumber when I've got Pimms around! :-)
  • Thanks for the suggestions - I'm going to try making the jam and also have a go at pickling one. The salad sounds scrummy so will give that a go too!
    It's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
  • You could also chop it up really finely, mix it into a tub of natural or greek yoghurt, add a squeezed clove of garlic, salt, pepper and dried or fresh herbs to your liking for an instant tzatziki- then use it as a side to chevapcici, meatballs etc. or for dipping carrots, cucumbers, celery etc. in front of the telly- luscious!!!
    Three years, six months, three weeks, 13 hours, 48 minutes and 30 seconds. 26011 cigarettes not smoked, saving $11,704.80. Life saved: 12 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 35 minutes.
  • giggs11
    giggs11 Posts: 163 Forumite
    does anyone have any ideas what i can do with cucumbers other than slice them up for salad please? got 4 in the fridge that will go off soon if i don't use them up quickly but would like to try some different things as i presume i cn't freeze them or anything to save them? thanks :)
  • More than enough suggestions here I think. I did not know there were so many cucumber recipes!
    Your home is at risk if you do not keep up repayments on a mortgage or other loan secured on it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure