PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Glut of Cucumbers!

Options

Comments

• giggs11
    giggs11 Posts: 163 Forumite
    Options
    ow wow thats fantastic thanks very much! didn't realise you could cook with them too will have to give that a go :D
  • voodoozoe
    voodoozoe Posts: 531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Haven't got the recipes off hand but you can make pickled cucumber and onion to eat with cold meats etc. and also a cucumber relish to have with burgers etc.

Also raita to have with a curry is delicious too!!!!!:D
    Laughing at my ancient signature...voodoobaby now 10 years old:eek:

• cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I often use cucumbers up in a stir-fry or curry. I would imagine they would be fine in a risotto as well, though I haven't yet tried this.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • sashacat
    sashacat Posts: 821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've got 17 in the fridge as I have had a glut. I usually make cucumber relish which is great for sandwiches or as an accompaniament to cheese or cold meats. It lasts up to a year.I will dig the recipe out and post it. I have made one batch this year already but all my friends ask for a jar so I will shortly be making another batch. It needs celery seeds which I am having difficulty getting at the moment ,so if anyone knows where I can buy the culinary ones, rather than the seed to plant ,please can they let me know. I have already tried all of the big supermarkets to no avail. I suppose I will have to use the planting ones if all else fails as I suppose they are basically the same thing.
    Wombling £457.41
  • sashacat
    sashacat Posts: 821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    here is a recipe which I used several times now. I got it from the internet a while ago.

4 cups of finely chopped (or ground) unpeeled cucumbers (about 4)
    1 cup of very finely chopped green peppers (about 2)
    1/2 cup of very finely chopped red peppers (about 1)
    3 cups of very finely chopped onions
    3 cups of very finely chopped celery
    1/4 cup of salt
    3 1/2 cups of sugar
    2 cups of white vinegar
    1 tablespoon of celery seeds
    1 tablespoon of mustard seeds

1. Combine all the vegetables in a bowl, sprinkle with the salt, cover with cold water and leave to stand for 4 hours.
    2. Drain well in a colander and press to remove as much liquid as possible
    3. Combine the sugar, vinegar, celery seeds and mustard seeds in a large saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring until all of the sugar is dissolved
    4. Stir in the drained vegetables and simmer for 10 minutes.
    5. Put in warm jars and seal.
    It doesn't matter what size cup you use (I use a mug) as long as you use the same size throughout. You can vary the size according to how many cucumbers you have. I make this in a preserving pan and get about 10-12 jars which is never enough as this is delicious on it's own in sandwiches. I also use it with cheese and on sandwiches instead of butter or margerine...eg with egg. I am told it is good with cold meats but I wouldn't know as I am vegetarian. Good Luck
    Wombling £457.41
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    came across this in another site, handy if you have a glut of cucumbers, not sure if i would try it myself probably would need the ginger

http://www.farmersguardian.com/story.asp?sectioncode=11&storycode=12734
  • myato
    myato Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for that leticia cropply :D
    Theoretically there is a perfect possibility of happiness: believing in the indestructible element in oneself and not striving towards it
  • donna73
    donna73 Posts: 540 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    how can i use up an excess of cucumbers? :confused: apart from the obvious salad and sandwiches please
    Word for 2023 …PROACTIVE 🧡 2023 -decluttering campaign 1020/2023 ⭐️⭐️Saving towards paying off car in November…£720/£1500 🚗
  • knittingnelly
    Options
    Cucumber pickle is lovely - there are quite a few recipes on t'internet if you google it. I believe you can eat it like a hot veg too but I've never quite got my head round that ;)
    To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.
    e.e. cummings
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi donna,

There's an earlier thread with some ideas that may help so I've added your thread to it to keep the suggestions together.

These threads may be worth a look too:

Pickling cucumbers

Lettuce, cucumber and tomato.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business