Great Cosmetics Cost Cutting Hunt

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Money Saving Expert
One for the ladies this week. Make-up, hair-care and the rest can cost staggering amounts (apparently). So this hunt's for MoneySavers to swap ideas on cost cutting - using different products, cheap places to buy, the best 'non-brands' its up to you.

threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Ambassador
    Look after your after shave or perfumes by storing them in a cupboard or drawer. The perfume will last longer if you don't store them near heat or sunlight.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    OK someone has to start this so it may as well be me.

I've just stocked up on Botanics facial wipes via the Mirror coupons offers. They come in a flat pack with a reseal, Boots NO 7 do similar, 4 in one wipes.

They are very useful for make up removal especailly at bedtimes when you are too tired (or drunk) to fiddle about with cotton wool, cleasing lotion, trips to the bathroom etc. Also useful when you are away, only one thing to pack.

These wipes are huge so I cut mine in two, use one half at night, reasel the other half and use that in the morning, amazing how much you can miss or get dirty again in the night..

Not sure wether this is the sort of thing you want but there it is now anyway...
    Mary
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Nile wrote:
    Look after your after shave or perfumes by storing them in a cupboard or drawer. The perfume will last longer if you don't store them near heat or sunlight.

Preferably locked so your teenager doesnt try and borrow them LOL

Mary
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • loopy_lass
    loopy_lass Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    i get a lot of my cosmetics from either the discount sites or ebay... also get my local chemist to make up rosewater for me (dont just buy it off the shelf) get them to actually make up the stuff... great for toning your face, also put some in a little spray as its great for cooling down on hot days & safe for the kids (well mine anyways)

i pay around £2.95 for 500ml.

hth loops x
    THE CHAINS OF HABIT ARE TOO WEAK TO BE FELT UNTIL THEY ARE TOO STRONG TO BE BROKEN... :A
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Places like TJ Hughes often buy up (presumably) old or end of line stock of named cosmetics and toiletries which you can get for a fraction of the cost. They also tend to have a lot of coffrets (that's "gift sets" for you men out there who don't know what one is :D) which can be bought for a few pounds and stored away for those Xmas and birthday pressies.

If you look on your local markets, there are often stalls selling cosmetics cheaply. Often these tend to be the 'cheaper' end of the market (pardon the pun) but great if you want to try out new colours or just want that nail colour to match an outfit and don't want to spend a fortune. Also, there is a stall in my local shopping centre that sources more upmarket products - Gail Hayman, Estee Lauder etc and they are often quite a lot cheaper.

I also found that Lidl sell assorted face creams - all those CoQ10 type moisturisers in similar packaging to say, L'Oreal, but they were charging about £1.99 a pot. I bought one but haven't tried it yet.

A word of warning though. Cosmetics and toiletries do have a limited shelf life and you will see dates on the end of the box eg 24 months from opening. These products also have a shelf life when unopened, as there can be chemical reactions within the products themselves, which mean seemingly harmless products can produce more noxious ones when left for any length of time. I am assuming that a lot of these products are snapped up cheaply by these types of stores, because they are fairly old and the main outlets don't want them. Certainly sun screen has a limited shelf life - 2 years and it is recommended that you bin unused suncream after 2 summers as it's protective abilities will have seriously diminished. I believe in the USA, it has a use by date on?

Edit: just looked at my Lidl's receipt - it was £1.79, where as Nivea Q10 day cream is £5.48 at Tesco
  • loopy_lass
    loopy_lass Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    ive bought from the market stalls in the big shopping centres, some are good value, some are very watery & not very good! ... trial & error me thinks

loops
    THE CHAINS OF HABIT ARE TOO WEAK TO BE FELT UNTIL THEY ARE TOO STRONG TO BE BROKEN... :A
  • lynseyf
    lynseyf Posts: 148 Forumite
    90% of the skin aging you see is caused by the sun. Use a cheaper moisturiser with at least spf15 in it every day. Drink lots of water.
  • I've used the Lidl 'posh' face creams (and Aldi's) and very good they are too.
  • Sorry, meant to say the 'Natural Collection' make up from Boots used to be rubbish but they must have done something to it cos it is really good now. Amazingly cheap too, all the lippies, lip glosses etc are 99p at the moment.
  • Fenella
    Fenella Posts: 664 Forumite
    For buying cut price makeup and perfumes on line try:

www.powderpuff.net
    www.saveonmakeup.co.uk
    www.fragrancedirect.co.uk
    www.eauzonebeauty.com
    www.beautyspotcosmetics.co.uk
    www.strawberrynet.com

I have successfully used most of these;)
    Born to shop;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport