PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Crispy roast potatoes

My method for the tastiest roast potatoes is -

Drizzle them with olive oil, shake a little garlic powder over them and for extra flavour, crumble a little chicken Oxo over them before they go in.

Stick 'em in the top shelf of a very hot oven and turn after 15 mins.

Scrumptious!

Comments

• Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    For my roasties while the oil is heating in the roasting tin I parboil the tates for a minute in the pressure cooker or bring to boil and continue boiling for a couple of minutes in a pan, Drain well and shake in the pan with seasoned flour, or with the above seasonings.

If your tates are hot and dry when they hit the hot oil in the roasting tin you get crispy roasties. Rumbling them by shaking them in the pan, before they get seasoned gives you more crunch factor. You do need to start with slightly larger tates as you loose some in the rumbling.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My method is if they aren't crispy enough when the chicken is done.......stick 'em under the grill for a few minutes!
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Cullumpster
    Cullumpster Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    I use all sorts of spices with my spuds, my latest one is Cajun or jerk seasoning, sprinkle in the oil, heat it up, bung in the spuds and coat all over. MMmmmm
  • Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Use Goose Fat to roast them in. Can't be beaten IMO.
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    This is my mother's tip (never tried it myself). She first cooks the potatoes and when they are slightly fluffy she tosses them in flour. Then in the oven with oil drizzled over the top and some rosemary.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Pal wrote:
    Use Goose Fat to roast them in. Can't be beaten IMO.

I agree, and duck fat or beef dripping works just as well. The trick is to get the fat as hot as you can (same as for yorkshires) so once they hit the pan (having been par-boiled and roughed up in the pan with seasoning as described above) they immediately create a seal which stops them absorbing fat and going soggy, and they come out lovely and crunchy on the outsides :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• MegsMum_2
    MegsMum_2 Posts: 141 Forumite
    I par boil mine for 10 mins, while the oil is heating, and then drain and roughen them up in the collander. The secret to really crispy ones is the heat of the oil, if the oil is not hot enough you can put the roasting tray over a gas ring while you put the potatoes in. When you put them in the oil spoon some oil over the top. I use half vegetable oil and half olive oil and add a large knob of butter after the potatoes go in.. Keep an eye on them and turn them over when golden on one side. Delicious! :o
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    I also do as Delia does, parboil them, drain the water, put the lid back on the pan and give them a good bash. Then put them in the oven with hot oil and pour some over the top.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • tigs78
    tigs78 Posts: 539 Forumite
    I'm going to be doing a 'proper roast' for the first time in years and would be really grateful for some tips.

First things first....

Roasties - I've taken Curry_Queen's advice and bought some beef dripping, it's a 500g block... I'm guessing that i just put it in the tray to melt but how much do I use, is it just enough to coat the surface/grease the tray or is it like cooking oil ie) 1cm deep? Also what temp should the oven be at - the beef joint says 190c/Gas 4, is this too low for the potatoes and if so what is a happy medium for the two?

I'm going to cook a joint (700g) of Silverside Beef, the only thing is I like it really rare and my dining partner likes it welldone... does the oven have to be at different temperatures for rare/welldone or is it just a case of leaving his in for longer? I've drafted in Aunt Bessie for the yorkies so they should be just fine!

I'd be grateful for any input as my usual idea of cooking is microwaving a ready meal, that's all going to change now thanks to discovering this site...who knows I might even save some money!
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    tigs78 wrote:
    Roasties - I've taken Curry_Queen's advice and bought some beef dripping, it's a 500g block... I'm guessing that i just put it in the tray to melt but how much do I use, is it just enough to coat the surface/grease the tray or is it like cooking oil ie) 1cm deep? Also what temp should the oven be at

I use about a third of a block of beef dripping in a medium roasting tin, so there's half an inch or so depth when melted, just enough to baste the spuds easily once I put them in. Cook for about 40-50 mins at gas 7.

I'm going to cook a joint (700g) of Silverside Beef, the only thing is I like it really rare and my dining partner likes it welldone... does the oven have to be at different temperatures for rare/welldone or is it just a case of leaving his in for longer?

Personally, I wouldn't roast a silverside joint (prefer to use sirloin or rib for roasting) as it's quite a tough, coarse part of the carcass and I've had much better results from pot-roasting. This is ideal for the slow cooker if you have one, or if not, place in a casserole with a tight fitting lid (or foil) and cook on a bed of veggies with some stock/wine in the bottom. If you do decide to roast it, do it long and slow (gas 2-3) for best results and take it out and leave to rest, wrapped in foil, while you do your potatoes.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure