Tesco misprice discussion area part 16

Options
This is a new thread for any discussions on the Tesco policy regarding misprices. Please don't post misprice items in this thread but you can discuss the policy here, leaving the other thread just for listing the 'finds'. Any misprices you find should be posted in this thread here. Thanks :)

Tesco Head Office telephone number is 0800 505555
Tesco Head Office address is

Sir Terry Leahy (MD)
TescoPLC
New Tesco House
Delamare Rd.
Cheshunt
EN8 9SL

[EMAIL="terry.leahy@uk.tesco.com"]terry.leahy@uk.tesco.com[/EMAIL]

Customer services email address: [EMAIL="customer.service@tesco.co.uk"]customer.service@tesco.co.uk[/EMAIL]

the page address of instore scanner locations (thanks to smartie1976 for this):
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...&postcount=176

For new readers:

For clarification SEL stands for Shelf Edge Label and R and R stands for Refund and Retain. The Tesco policy on signs instore is :-

"And if things don't add up ~ In the unlikely event you are charged a higher price than on the shelf or the product we will refund your money and you can keep the product"

Compare the price per kilo on the pack with the shelf edge label price per kilo and where there is a difference the lowest price must be charged.
Thanks to !!!!!! Dastardly for providing the following information from the DTI website which summarises consumer rights in relation to misleading price indications:

Q1. I was charged a different price for an item at the till to the one that was shown on the shelf, what are my rights?

The Consumer Protection Act 1987 makes it an offence for a trader to give a consumer misleading price indications. In the first instance speak to the trader about the differing prices, if you are not satisfied with the response, contact your local authority trading standards department who enforce the Act and who could bring a prosecution against the trader.
http://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/buyi.../page7848.html

Comments

• divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    with many thanks to Hey Dude for permission to reproduce his top tips here (apologies for the length of the post but it is very useful information and well worth reading)

Dude’s Tip Number One – Only R&R items that you really, really want!

Attitude – when securing R&R quoting Section C and Paragraph 6 of the Sales of Goods Act to CS staff isn’t a good move – treat the staff how you wish to be treated – polite & calm even in the face of potential adversity - keep your profile low, not too much eye contact – you don’t want to be a memorable character because you want to come back!

Dude’s Tip Number Two – Be polite and calm– don’t demand R&R – wait and see what happens – if pushed politely point to the Price Promise.

If you go to the same store and R&R regularly you will become familiar to some CS staff – scope the store when you go in – pretend to look at newspapers or other goods whilst working out who is on duty – try to avoid CS staff who know you and have hassled you in the past – check the CS desk again before you buy in case there has been a shift change.

Try the weekends – mix it up a bit – go after 1930 and you will probably find different staff – Saturday evenings means you will probably get part-time CS staff - if you have the means go to different stores – if you are after groceries use Metro and Express Stores – use the Tesco web-site to find all the stores closest to you.

If you travel around the country a Sat Nav system combined with a copy of the official Tesco Store Guide (which lists every UK store along with full addresses) is an invaluable combination.

The Tesco Store Guide can be found at your local CS desk but not in any good bookshops.

Dude’s Tip Number Three – Vary your shopping trip times – visit other stores if you can.

Don’t make it obvious that you are after R&R – be disciplined – if you buy a dozen mp3 players CS staff will undoubtedly know what you are all about – just get a few items for R&R – add in other items of shopping that you need anyway – you need to look like a wronged shopper, not a freebie hunter.

The only exception to this is when you are visiting a store miles away from home, say on holiday or on business – if you know you are unlikely to be seen again for some time then you can push your luck a bit….but ‘each to their own’ is The Dude’s motto!

Dude’s Tip Number Four – Be disciplined and R&R only a few items on a shopping trip.

Which Misprice? The Good, Bad and Ugly

#1 - The Gotcha - This is the least contentious mis-price - you have the Bay City Rollers Greatest Hits with a £1.98 sticker on and you are charged £19.99 - easy pickings - even the nastiest Customer Service staff will find it difficult to argue against this one – although your taste in music is $^*&”)$*.

#2 - Quality Meat - This covers mis-priced per kg SELs - usually meat - often cheeses and so on - your kangaroo joint has a SEL of £9 a kg - on the pack it is £10 a kg - you may have to give the CS staff a lesson in mental arithmetic dyslexia - and point to "the shelf" bit in the Price Promise - but you will get some joy.

#3 - The Time Traveller - Out-of-date crispy duck is no good for you - but out-of-date SELs are always handy - look for goods with a yellow SEL - check the expiry date - if it was last night/week/year then you could be in - check the price and you may be in - some caution - sometimes goods have not changed in price – but particularly good spots for mobiles & cameras.

#4 - The Special Offer - this covers extra advertising away from any stickers or SELs - "all XBOX games under £30" and the like - if you find one for £30.99 you have a mis-price - also check the repeating TV adverts in Extra stores - you may see Tomb Raider 7 - Laura's Melons at a lesser price – but you do have a mis-price - but you will undoubtedly face an uphill struggle with CS as you argue your case - worth a punt!

#5 - We Don't Go Outside - when Tesco run big promotions - '50 cans of Carlsberg for £10 and your sister traded in' - they will sometimes put up big signs outside - pay attention - outside the store. Check these out the day after said promotion finishes - sometimes the outside signs are still in place - grab yourself a pallet of beer, argue with CS and check into AA in a couple of day’s time………..
  • A_little_stressed!!
    Options
    Good luck every1!!!
    I'm getting older, and lifes getting harder!:mad:
  • ukdrummajor
    Options
    new one........woohoo!
    When things in life start to weigh heavy on your shoulders, and people all around are having a go, just smile and think.......Fxxk em!
  • littlel_3
    Options
    Ahh at last a nice clean thread, like a new pin
  • jamminjamaica
    Options
    thank goodness. it was taking ages to load the old thread
  • A_little_stressed!!
    Options
    Rule 1: No 1 can be mean, or laugh at those not very good at R&R
    Rule 2: No personal details of others to be published ever
    Rule 3: No Tesco staff allowed (Penalty: Whipping & stoning!!)

:rotfl: :rotfl:
  • jamminjamaica
    Options
    does anyone know what the Cook with Jamie Oliver book scans at? there is a sticker of £12.90 on the book but the shelf in my local tesco say £11.xx has is gone down in price? the only reason i ask is because i bought one a couple of weeks ago for £12.90
  • littlel_3
    Options
    Anyone had a go at the 3 stellas for £20 yet, The offer expired yesterday.
  • FloFlo
    FloFlo Posts: 32,720 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone in South Wales give me a pm - Stella, Fosters and a possible Phillips iron spotted. I'm on a low profile mission at the moment but if I can help others I will. I have also posted this on the other forum site so first come first served.
  • A_little_stressed!!
    Options
    What is the other forum site?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business