Money Moral Dilemma: Should Carrie return her present?

Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Should Carrie return her present?

Carrie got a designer dress from her friend Samantha for Christmas. Samantha gave her the receipt in case the dress doesn't fit. Carrie loves the present, but is a bit broke and could use the £400 she would get from returning it. Should she return it without telling Samantha?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

threadbanner.gif

Comments

• Personally, I wouldn't. I know my friend would understand, but I still don't think I would return the dress.
  • No I don't think I would return the dress either .
    Baby Thomas born 3 months early by emergency section on 21/1/09 weighing 1lb 15ozs .
    Thomas came home after 3 months and 2 days in hospital weighing 5lb 15ozs
    Thomas weighed 21lb 4ozs on his 1st birthday , a total weight gain of 18lbs 5ozs !
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    If she is broke she can't eat a dress. She should take the money.

A gift given away is no longer yours.
  • No - it was a gift - and therefore you shouldnt use it to get the money. if your friend was nice enough to spent that amount on you its probably because she knew you couldnt afford it and as such thought it would be a nice treat.
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    id be most miffed to think my friend spent so much when she knew i couldnt afford it

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    i wouldnt do it no so she shouldnt

who buys someone a 400 pound christmas present anyway
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • BobbiB wrote: »
    No - it was a gift - and therefore you shouldnt use it to get the money. if your friend was nice enough to spent that amount on you its probably because she knew you couldnt afford it and as such thought it would be a nice treat.

Yep, totally agree with this! I guess it's what is more important to Carrie - is it something she could discuss with Sam?

She might not have money problems forever, but she could enjoy that dress for a long time. Why not save money in other areas, and keep the dress as a treat - make up for having to cut back in other areas? :)
    robpw2 wrote: »
    id be most miffed to think my friend spent so much when she knew i couldnt afford it

I don't think that's really fair - should someone who is better off spend as little as the poorer person? Surely it's a case of each spending what they want / can?
    jamespir wrote: »
    who buys someone a 400 pound christmas present anyway

Think everyone is different - why begrudge it if someone can afford it? Maybe others pitched in, or it was a joint christmas / birthday present....who knows?!

IW x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 222 :beer:
    :T Debt free wannabe - Proud to be dealing with my debts! :T

Remember the MoneySaving mantras!

IF YOU'RE SKINT......
    Do I need it? Can I afford it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?

IF YOU'RE NOT SKINT......
    Will I use it? Is it worth it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?
  • Hell no! It would be just wrong!
    If Carrie is starving and hasn't eaten in a few weeks then maybe, but even then I'd feel guilty about doing it...
  • Cloudane
    Cloudane Posts: 524
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Wouldn't be much of a friend to her in return if she just cashed it in behind her back!! It's not so much the fact itself but the dishonesty.

She should maybe discuss it with her.
  • Tombo
    Tombo Posts: 999
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yeah, I think that she should do it. The dress is hers now and she needs the cash.
    2008 Wins: The Shapes - Get Your Learn On (CD), Free transport to and from a Christmas Party
    2009 Wins: Years Supply of Orbit Complete (144 packets), £50 of Odeon vouchers
    2018 Wins: Rockstar Energy Drink Headphones
    :jDebt-Free Wannabe!! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family