Economy Gastronomy - new budget cookery programme; BBC

Comments

• purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    helyg wrote: »

I bet Delia Smith didn't do any of that LOL!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    helyg wrote: »

Interesting article....and interesting recipe! ;)
  • purpleivy wrote: »
    I bet Delia Smith didn't do any of that LOL!

I am reliably informed that dear Delia is a lot more racy than her TV image would suggest: probably not Sapphic but you never know.

I thought that tuna, pata, cheese sauce "fish pie"sounded quite economical until the suggestion came to put anchovies on the top. In my house, anchovies go on pizza on high-days and holidays
  • I did sseriously wonder on what planet did the chefs think that the students would actually keep up this level of cooking whilst at Uni? I also wonder where the students where finding £50 a week for food.

I thought that one of the lads looked very embarrased when she had him lick the mayo off her finger and she kept touching the arm of another, was surprised to read she is gay, maybe just inappropriatley a touchy person.

I would like it if they said - things like I prefer to make tomato sauce with shallots and fresh tomatoes, but realise that this isn't the most economical or easiest, so if economy is more your bag or you are short on time tinned toms and onions are fine, but may not taste quite as good,for example.
  • the tomato recipe is good if you have a glut of tomatoes from your homegrowing efforts. looks good but again seems awfully time consuming having to peel those tomatoes. might give it a bash though!
  • kingshir
    kingshir Posts: 578 Forumite
    Finally!

As I said in a previous post this is a recipe that I got out of the Jackie Magazine and have been making for the last 40+ years:eek: It is gorgeous eaten straight away but IF you can wait 24hrs it gets all fudgey in the middle. It will keep for 2-3 weeks if kept in an airtight container, but I have to own up, it never last longer than 3-4 days in my house!:p

8oz margarine
    16 oz brown sugar

Melt the above together in a big saucepan over a low heat and stir well. Remove from heat and add

8oz Plain Flour
    1 level tsp baking powder
    1 heaped tsp salt*
    8 tbs of cocoa
    4 eggs

Beat together well and pour in a greased (and/or lined) 8 x 12 inch tin.
    Depending on your oven (my old oven baked cooler so I used No 5) bake at no 4 for approx 35-45mins.

Mine is always very slightly crisped around the edges by the time the middle is cooked but if you don't like that you can cover it with tinfoil after 30mins or so.

I leave it to cool slightly and then cut into 1inch x 1 1/2 inch squares (the depth is a good 1 inch as well).

I don't do the topping but for those who like it -

8oz Icing Suguar
    3 tbs cocoa
    1 egg yolk
    2 oz marg
    3 tbs hot water.

Beat together until smooth and spread onto of the cooled brownies.

As with all recipes you can change things to suit yourself - ie white sugar instead of brown, butter instead of marg, a mix of cocoa and drinking chocolate but I personally wouldn't recommend replacing all the cocoa with drinking chocolate, the result is nowhere near as chocolatey!

The original recipe was for half the amount of the above ingredients but for us gannets that didn't make anywhere near enough;)

* I know that seems a lot of salt but it just doesn't taste as good with less IMHO:o

Hope you'll enjoy it as much as we do:D x
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    the tomato recipe is good if you have a glut of tomatoes from your homegrowing efforts. looks good but again seems awfully time consuming having to peel those tomatoes. might give it a bash though!

It doesn't take too long to peel tomatoes. Once you've dunked them in boiling water, the skins pretty much just slide off.
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    MrsE wrote: »
    I hate black keyboards, I have one at home & one at work.
    I sympathise. They look cool but we don't get a lot of light in here. Have to have the lights turned on in the day and the corner where the pc is is pretty dark...
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    purpleivy wrote: »
    Well, in the acknowledgements at the back of the book she thanks her 'wife'. The plot thickens.
    Allegra is happily married to a lady called Susi. I believe and for their wedding cake they had a tier of cheeses!!:beer: In the book she says she made Susi macaroni cheese using the last of the cheese on their first wedding anniversary.:jHow cool is that?:cool:
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • Gigervamp wrote: »
    It doesn't take too long to peel tomatoes. Once you've dunked them in boiling water, the skins pretty much just slide off.

If you freeze them first, it's even easier ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family