June 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Well I just did my shopping to last till next thursday and it came to...*drum roll*...£2.45 :beer:
    August grocery challenge: £50
    Spent so far: £37.40 :A
  • merzal
    merzal Posts: 290
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Forumite
    I spent £2.50 today on eggs and baking pots. On wed I spent £3.86 in Aldi so ony spent £6.36 this week. Although my friend came to stay and we've eaten out a couple of times but she did buy us some shopping!
    [STRIKE]CC1: £354.35 / £354.35[/STRIKE]
    CC2: £390 / £1475.98
    Boiler: £1500 / £2500
    [STRIKE]Overdraft: £1000 / £1000[/STRIKE]
    Emergency Fund : £20
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    hi...just wanted to share a yummy recipe...i think i saw ainsley making it on the bbq ....u get a pineapple (49p in aldi:D) and peel it...cut it in half from top to bottom...then cut each half into 3 and slide a knife down to cut out the core....dip each bit in light brown sugar...or any sugar and fry in a tablespoon of oil...few mins on each side...serve with cream or icecream...lush...i have done the pineapple in a pan and on the barbie

i went into aldi this morning and they had reduced the plums to 29p so i got a couple of boxes...might make a crumble and use the rest in the lunch boxes next week

i found 2 bargains in sainsburys that might be of use to people....firstly smoked salmon trimmings...88p for i thing 200g...it was off cuts ideal for pizza or quiche or as we had it on bagels with cream cheese....the other thing was the basics responsibly sourced salmon...i got 3 oblong bits for £3...it seemed to be all shapes and sizes...i baked it in a bit of buttered foil with a bit of white wine and a sprig of dill...lovely

take care
    tess
    onwards and upwards
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,613
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    another £1.47 on milk for me today......

but I managed to avoid a spend on vanilla ice-cream (which I'd expected to need to pick up at the same time), as DS only discovered last night I'd picked up a tub of mint choc-chip when I went shopping on Wednesday. (Ooops! I must have "forgotten" to tell him I'd bought some ;) )

I'm now 13 days into a 30 day month, with a budget for the month of £121. So budget to end of today is £50.74, and I'm currently on £33.69 - which I'm really pleased about as I expected to be running tight to budget this month due to having the Mr M vouchers to use. Have used 2 so far this month, but DD had a huge shopping list when I used the first, and I stocked up on some toiletries with the second (that comes out of a seperate budget).

DD and I are already working on our shopping lists for next week - I'm hoping to make mine only for things I need to complete meals (while clearing some space in my freezer and cupboards for the bulk of the ingredients), and a list from DD will also pull down how much I need to consider stock-piling in order to get to the £30 spend :T
    Cheryl
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Afternoon all!
    Finally a chance to sit down! Not for long though, apparently OH's parents are imminent!
    Good job I've cleaned right through the house, been to Mr Ts, bathed the dog and hoovered the car!

Spent £35 and pennies in Mr T- was quite pleased with this as it included some mini toiletries for OHs epic weekend long bike ride next weekend, extra dog food and tons of fruit and veg.

Think I'll do OK this month as I only have 1 week left to shop for (will shop next weekend) and seem to have plenty of the budget left.

Will do the sig and see exactly how much!

Edit - Almost £77 left apparently - don't quite know how!
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Afternoon all

Thought I had better report in with todays spends :eek:... I have decided that as I have cut the budget through choice -I need to stop being quite so "tight fisted" :rotfl:......not for hubbies sake but mine (I don't cut back on his likes)... I eat shed loads of fruit normally and my fruit n veg 5 a day is usually in the double figures (and more often than not -about 15ish :p)...... well whilst I have been cutting back I have cut down on the fruit I buy as i can't leave it alone ..but I have decided that Im not happy with it... so I will just have to grit my teeth and part with the cash :p.
    Also after having a look today Im thinking of switching some things to organic..milk and the like .... just need to sit down and work out what difference it will make to my budget -although at the end of the day -our health is more important ;) -particularly brought home to me as my mum is waiting for test results on a possible cancer scare :eek:
    So todays shopping was:-
    1. 24 water
    2. 2kg oranges
    3. 3 grapefruit
    4. 3 lemons
    5. 2 huge pineapples
    6. 2kg apples
    7. mango
    8. a 3kg watermelon
    9. 500g green grapes -whoopsed
    10. 500g black grapes -whoopsed
    11. 500g cherry toms
    12. celery
    13. 2 red peppers
    14. iceberg
    15. 1kg carrots
    16. beetroot
    17. cauliflower
    18. 1kg parsnips -whoopsed to 76c
    19. fresh chicken
    20. 3 packs organic cooked meat -whoopsed to 83c each :T
    21. bag extra lrg prawns
    22. 4 pack natural yog
    23. block butter
    24. quark tzatziki
    25. 2 pasta
    26. 2 fresh yeast
    27. bag almonds
    28. bag hazelnuts
    Actually there is more than I thought -although if the fruit lasts me all week I will be amazed :rotfl:.anyhow -I spent a grand total of €29.67 -so takes us up to just over €70 so far this month ...I can't see us spending much over €100 before pay day on the 25th -so i can live with that :D

Dinner tonight is a huge salad with jackets and cottage cheese.... lunch was a huge salad with steamed potatoes and feta/some of the cooked meat :p
    Tomorrow will be roast chicken with steamed potatoes, cauli, broccoli, carrots, sweetcorn and peas mmmmmmmm
    well enough waffling on from me -hope everyone is having a good weekend :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,837
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Afternoon all,

Lovely weather here today. Just picked 5 strawbs from the garden with lots still to ripen :T.

Big hugs to your Mum MrsM - one of my school Mum friends is having chemo right now and it's a big worry - only 40 last Oct and with a young family.

Small spend in MrS today which bought us lunch and some of the packed lunch things I needed for my final June week. Off to my cousins for a bbq tonight. Taking 4 sirloin steaks from market meat man - only £5, which DH paid for. Don't really like buying meat from the market - have issues over where it's come from - anyone else feel the same??

Off to update sig.

Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill 1/24
  • jackiegibbo
    jackiegibbo Posts: 603 Forumite
    Went to the 99p shop and asdas recently so have spent £53.05 this month so far.Ive been trying some of asdas frozen meals for a £1 i think they actually do 5 for £4 and then i half them for me and hubby and do loads of veg and some of them are actually quite tasty!!!

Good luck everyone:beer::beer:
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Thanks Coxy...
    i think its just a bit more worrying as its nearly a year since I lost my sister to ovarian cancer -she was only 42 :mad:... mum is 69 and its breast if the tests don't come back with good news... so pinkies crossed. Made me realise its no good having money in the bank if our health is shot...
    once again -thanks for your kind words...hope your friends mum comes through it all ok...
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • karenccs67
    karenccs67 Posts: 1,080
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Coxy11 wrote: »
    Afternoon all,

Lovely weather here today. Just picked 5 strawbs from the garden with lots still to ripen :T.

Big hugs to your Mum MrsM - one of my school Mum friends is having chemo right now and it's a big worry - only 40 last Oct and with a young family.

Small spend in MrS today which bought us lunch and some of the packed lunch things I needed for my final June week. Off to my cousins for a bbq tonight. Taking 4 sirloin steaks from market meat man - only £5, which DH paid for. Don't really like buying meat from the market - have issues over where it's come from - anyone else feel the same??

Off to update sig.

Coxy
    xx

I feel the same about meat from the market, some of it looks nice but I'm not sure how long theyve had it for so I've never bought any. Were off to a carvery tonight, mums treat, only £3.50 a head. Have fun at BBQ.
    ***Dont save what is left after spending, spend what is left after saving***
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure