Travel Insurance Cost Cutting Tips For Older Travellers/Pre-existing Conditions

Options
articlealert.gif
This is a special discussion thread to discuss hints and tips for older travellers and those with pre-existing conditions. If you spot a good provider please report please click reply.

For the general Travel Insurance discussion link please click here.

Comments

• nfiche
    nfiche Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Apart from the comprehensive new article on this site, Martin had an article in Saturday's Guardian and , rightly, pointed out that free or discounted treatment is available in any EU country on production of the new European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) which has replaced the E111.
    I feel that this is not stressed enough and perhaps questions need to be asked of insurers' attitude. Why don't they offer the option of travel insurance without the medical cover -- ie only "other" items such as loss of cash/baggage, cancellation etc--- and leave it to the individual to decide whether the higher price to cover medical treatment should be paid, where an EU country is the destination?
    Of course it would be foolish indeed for anyone to travel to USA or other non-EU country without full cover, and admittedly, even within the EU, the extent of the "state" cover does vary quite a bit. (see https://www.dh.gov.uk for details for each EU country). But, for example, the extent of EHIC cover in Spain, and the quality of treatment there, is very good. As a pensioner with a heart bypass two years ago, I have to pay over the odds for medical cover, and I ask myself why I should bother . Insurers take high premiums, and then do their best to persuade you to use the state system if you need help, so that they don't have to pay. Why not call their bluff ?
    Yes, I know that if I fell ill and had to be repatriated to the UK, I'd have to pay for it. OK, I'll risk that ! I know also that the pundits always stress the need to have adequate health insurance. Am I being a heretic to question whether that advice always holds good !!
    something missing
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Options
    See this thread :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=1997205#post1997205

Basically if you sign up for Lloyds TSB Platinum Current Account, which gives you 4% on your money, you pay £180 per year, but you get lots of benfits which includes multi-trip worldwide travel insurance up to the age of 79. They will cover pre-existing medical conditions but you have to tell them and there may be a surcharge.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • Anniebee_2
    Options
    Try the American Express website for £158 for a basic worldwide policy even for over 80s.
  • sheilepet
    Options
    Last year I got a really good deal from Prudential. Annual Travel Insurance with cover for pre-existing medical conditions for only £72
    Have had a reminder from them for this year and it has only gone up by £1
    My age 71
  • sylviesinc
    sylviesinc Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My husband is 66 and has had two heart attacks. I am 58. We got a great quote of around £65 for both of us for 9 nights in Portugal last year and £62 for 6 days in Amsterdam this year from Wisemans through the https://www.laterlife.co.uk website.

We had been quoted over £300 by one insurer!!
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Options
    Forgot to mention that the Lloyds TSB Platinum Acurrent Account (see earlier post) also includes, top level AA breakdown cover, credit card insurance, free overdraft facility, etc. Not bad if you think that you get Worldwide multi-trip Travel Insurance thrown in plus 4% on any balance in credit, which helps to pay for the Account Cost.
    Also if you open an account with Lloyds TSB you get £50 as a welcome, and they will do all the DD, standing orders etc. transfers for you. We were with NatWest for 30 years and never received a penny. My first year with Lloyds earned £75 in interest. I never have to worry about moving money quickly these days as it earns a reasonable rate anyway. Don't forget that with ALL Travel Insurance you must tell the insurer about ANY pre-existing medical condition otherwise they will use that as an excuse to get out of paying if you claim for medical reasons.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • mattp_3
    mattp_3 Posts: 270 Forumite
    Options
    For those looking for travel insurance for the elderly and medical conditions, i can recommend a company called Cover My Travels (www.covermytravels.co.uk) - [ formerly Total Travel Insurance ] we went on holiday to spain with a relative who is 73 and is in a wheelchair after suffering a stroke a few years ago, their quote was nearly £50 cheaper than anywhere else (and I tried about 6 companies!)

Certainly worth a call if you are struggling to find a good quote

All the best
    Matt
  • Joannaclaire
    Options
    Not elderly or ill as such, just pregnant. Thought maybe someone on this board might be able to help?

Am Australian and am going back to Oz to have the baby. I have private medical insurance there (which will cover my obstetrician, hospital etc etc so that's all fine) and will be staying at my mum's so nice and safe, don't think I'll be snowboarding/paragliding etc so no risk there either, and not taking much luggage, so basically I just need travel insurance to cover for the flight out there - ie 24 hours, just in case I have the baby early and end up in Singapore during my transit stop, in a hospital there (although I hope not - but then that's what I want/need the insurance to cover me for).

Thus far most policies I've looked at - and I've gone through mot of the big ones - about 20-30 and read the small print - at the best cover you til 32 weeks (although most seem to just do up to 28-30 weeks which isn't ideal), which would be ok as that's about when I plan to fly out. But they don't do one way trips - only for emigrating people, and I plan to return to the UK after 4 months and most trips have a limit of three months cover (plus in any case I don't fancy paying the insurance for the time I'm there as there's no need).

Any suggestions? I'm assuming an insurance broker might be an option, given the web search insurance type companies only do standard type deals for standard cover situations.

Also need cover for my husband (English), but he'll be there for 3 months rather than 4 so we can probably sort him out ok anyway with normal insurance.
  • nqsenile
    nqsenile Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Travel insurance for nowt !
    See message from "theloft". Lloyds Gold Service current account has no annual charge but offers the same free services as the Platinum. Also 6.5% discount on holiday bookings. You need a certain minimum amount going into the account each month.
  • barron_2
    barron_2 Posts: 460 Forumite
    Options
    nqsenile wrote:
    Travel insurance for nowt !
    See message from "theloft". Lloyds Gold Service current account has no annual charge but offers the same free services as the Platinum. Also 6.5% discount on holiday bookings. You need a certain minimum amount going into the account each month.
    YES it DOES.
    £10 per month = £120 per year.
    You can get it for £7pm,(1st 3 mths) If you join now.
    See Below.

http://www.lloydstsb.com/current_accounts/added_value_accounts/gold_serv_current_account.asp

Also the Platinum has more benefits ,ie no interest on first £250 o/draft ,higher AA cover etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure