November 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Need to update my sig... been very naughty and spent about £2o on things I didn't really need - just wanted to get some oats from our local Weighhouse to make flapjacks and ended up getting loads of other stuff - go home and realised my golden syrup has been used up so I can't make them anyway :mad: wasted journey - hate it when that happens!
    Still got DD's Christmas dress from the charity shop next to the weighhouse - gorgeous purple dress from Next - £3 :j so she's happy!

Really need to get a grip - just because DH got some extra money in his pay packet this month does NOT mean I have to spend it.
    Someone hammer that into mea please!!

We're hoping to put AT LEAST £500 into the savings at the end of this month, and we're not going about it the right way...
    Saving hard for deposit on our first family home so far: ISA = £6454.23p + Saver = £1200 Trying to put at least £250 a month into the savings account :A

Nov Grocery Challenge (first timer!) £80/£320 :naughty:
  • sod it - i'll officially join this month's GC - maybe it will kick my butt into gear??!! :rotfl:

Can someone put me down for £320

tank yoo :D
    Saving hard for deposit on our first family home so far: ISA = £6454.23p + Saver = £1200 Trying to put at least £250 a month into the savings account :A

Nov Grocery Challenge (first timer!) £80/£320 :naughty:
  • sistercas wrote: »
    been shopping in mrT today I cant believe how prices have hiked up. value curry sauce 27p!!! and tin toms 33p!! and everything else seems seems to have gone up too. looks like i will be going back to aldi

Hi :wave:

I know exactly what you mean, so many things are creeping up in price. I always buy Cravendale milk, and its just gone up to £1.66 from £1.56. I buy one a week, 10p perhaps isn't a huge amount of cash but if everything goes up by 10p, or by that %, I'm in trouble... :rolleyes:

Just wanted to stop by and share my latest bargain. I am a huge fan of the "bashed" section in the supermarkets, where you get the whoopsies for the packaging/tins being thrown around a bit. In Asda I got a box of tissues, with a dent in the box but otherwise perfectly serviceable, reduced from £1.75 to... 5p!!! :j Normally I buy the "value" tissues as my 3yo goes through them like nobody's business. She was really impressed with the 5p tissues - "oooh these tissues are soft, mummy!" :o

Anyways enough waffle from me!

Debbie. x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member No 1001 - Proud to be dealing with my debts :cool:
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    I did chicken drumsticks--whoopsied & left in the freezer since July!--with MrT value stuffing as a coating. Personally, I couldn't make much of the taste but then I have been sneezing a fair bit :rolleyes: ...still, the offspring said it was 'awite' :confused:

I'll have to get some long grain rice soon [used some last night with red & green peppers & sweetcorn stirred thru--now that was yum :D ] & must of looked like this :eek: when I clocked the price in MrT...almost a quid for the value stuff!

Actually, I wanted to ask your advice re:cooking fat. I've been using both varients of Stork cuz I found it gave a better taste & texture, but what do other folk use? There doesn't seem to be much to choose an alternative from these days....
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• First real spend of the month - £23.47 at Tesco - just basics and dogfood - should see us through - and all I need today is some fresh veggies from the market or farm shop. Doing well so far.
  • ok...who mentioned using the cheap curry sauce in a curried parsnip soup? and how would you do it?!
    Jonathan Douglas born 20th January 2009 - 9lb 4oz
    Alexander William born 30th December 2012 - 10lb 2oz
    GC June 2014 £79.04/£150
  • jackk_2
    jackk_2 Posts: 288
    First Post
    Forumite
    First spend of the month is £57.44 :eek: , have full freezers and cupboards though.

Branston 4 packs of baked beans are 2 for £2 in asda, which is actually cheaper than the smart price one since they were 29p a can last night :eek: . Oh and 1.2kg of gammon in Summerfield is £5 (put one away for xmas).

I also have a quick question about the panasonic breadmaker - does it make loaf shaped bread?

Goodluck all

Jackie x
  • afternoon,

so i've spent another £3 on kitchen roll as we'd run out and DH didn't mention it!

Re COOKING FATS, i tend to use stork most of the time but i find that willow farm butter is quite good and it's cheaper than all the value/basic brands. and it freezes well.

have a baking afternoon planned, have to make some choc cakes for a friend who's had a baby, i'm going round for cuddles tomorrow and can't wait!!

ioiwe x
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Need to update my sig... been very naughty and spent about £2o on things I didn't really need - just wanted to get some oats from our local Weighhouse to make flapjacks and ended up getting loads of other stuff - go home and realised my golden syrup has been used up so I can't make them anyway :mad: wasted journey - hate it when that happens!
    Still got DD's Christmas dress from the charity shop next to the weighhouse - gorgeous purple dress from Next - £3 :j so she's happy!

Really need to get a grip - just because DH got some extra money in his pay packet this month does NOT mean I have to spend it.
    Someone hammer that into mea please!!

We're hoping to put AT LEAST £500 into the savings at the end of this month, and we're not going about it the right way...
    We always say if DH gets any overtime, that 1/3 goes straight into savings before we even think about how we are going to spend/treat ourselves with the rest.

Usually some is used to do a bulk purchase of meat from the farm shop which is then apportioned over the following weeks to make the budget still work. It all just depends on what is needed etc.

We are having a K*C tonight treating ourselves from some overtime money and we have vouchers for bogof; DS1 has a friend staying as well and it just means that for one night I don't need to cook.

Have also noticed how the prices are suddenly jumping again in Mr T, our local Co-op has some good offers on again though on things that I class as normal, not ready meals and that type of stuff.

For cooking I usually use stork unless anything is on an offer or reduced which makes it a better buy, then I buy that.
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • JennyBee wrote: »
    ok...who mentioned using the cheap curry sauce in a curried parsnip soup? and how would you do it?!

Hi JennyBee,
    The curried parship soup was me. All I did was pour a jar of value curry sauce over an onion, about 4 chopped up parsnips and some leftover grated carrot, then I added a jug of veg stock, once cooked through I blitzed it....its yum :D
    LBM March 2011 (what on earth took me so long?)
    overdraft (1) -2950 overdraft (2) -246.00
    total CC £12,661 :eek:
    loan £5000
    DFD 2016:eek::eek: (cant come soon enough)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure