PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    First shop of the month yesterday which came to £59.72, only thing that we bought that wasn't on the list was whisky - for medicine reasons only of course. lol
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Spent £11.59 on bread, cheese, dips, potatoes, drinks etc in asda n tesco today.Don't need much as DD's moving out tomoz and my freezer is full.Have spent tons on her for the baby which we found out is a girl today:j :j , and the flat, which luckily i'm not including in my GC;) :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • princess_leia_3
    Options
    £10 in Mr M's today on the specials, got a topside beef, parsnips, hot choc, celbrations for Xmas and bag salad (because we keep getting awful lettuces!)
    So not bad really, and we will have a nice roast on Sunday and then either meat for sarnies or can you whizz it up and use in shepherds pie????
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235 :p
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

• frugalswan
    Options
    Aaaand another spending day today (and will have to get some stuff in tomorrow, too - bah). Another £4.31 to add to the spreadsheet in the form of eggs, onions, mushrooms and some clementines. I'm making a huuuuuuge lasagne tomorrow, with some 4 portions for the freezer, so I needed the extra veggies ;) Now, to update my sig with the details and then get to work on the mealplans. Oooh, I've just had an idea for tea :D Savoury bread and butter pudding :D *goes to find recipe* Have a good evening everyone!
    Continually trying the Grocery Challenge. Gotta keep trying!
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    NSD for me today:j

It doesn't happen very often so I have to celebrate:rotfl:
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    .... we will have a nice roast on Sunday and then either meat for sarnies or can you whizz it up and use in shepherds pie????

Yes, ideal for shepherds pie ;) I use up leftover cooked meat in meatloaf, curry, pies and all sorts
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    been shopping in mrT today I cant believe how prices have hiked up. value curry sauce 27p!!! and tin toms 33p!! and everything else seems seems to have gone up too. looks like i will be going back to aldi
  • russetred
    russetred Posts: 1,334 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    On to update my sigy which seems a lot but my freezer is now heaving and the cupboards are full.I scored well at mr T the other night for 10p meat and rolls and was lucky at lidl to pick up 3 pork sausage packs,2 double cream and 2 free range choocks at 30% off for the freezer.I cant remember who suggested this many moons ago but its a great tip. I now cut off the wing portions off my chickens before freezing and collect them till I have enough to do buffalo wings.The wings are always wasted when you roast a chicken as they tend to over cook, this way I think you get the most from stretching that chook.I also picked up my FR eggs from our farmers market,you guys would laugh yourselves silly at it we only have 4 stalls, no veg and its hit and miss if the egg ration will last past the first hour but early days.:rotfl: Going to try planning the garden veg for next year this weekend as it looks like a rain off up my way.Happy weekend to all!
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • canidothis
    Options
    sistercas wrote: »
    been shopping in mrT today I cant believe how prices have hiked up. value curry sauce 27p!!! and tin toms 33p!! and everything else seems seems to have gone up too. looks like i will be going back to aldi[/quote

Im with you on this one, popped in to mrMs today to pick up value curry sauce ,last week its was 5p and today it was 23p!! Now whats that all about:confused: ok I know 23p is hardly extortionate, but thats one big price rise.

It made a very nice curried parsnip soup tho.

Still Smflds have got 9 toilet rolls for £2 :j :Tw
    Where do I go to find out how to quote properly?
    LBM March 2011 (what on earth took me so long?)
    overdraft (1) -2950 overdraft (2) -246.00
    total CC £12,661 :eek:
    loan £5000
    DFD 2016:eek::eek: (cant come soon enough)
  • Julimk
    Julimk Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    Did this weeks main shop at Mr Ts today, so that I could get round without DD.

I got some half price peaches & also some really good whoopsies for a change! A couple of bags of ham from the deli counter for a total of 38p, 2 huge gammon steaks for 70p & 1 lb butcher’s Lincolnshire sausages for 42p.

The town centre Mr T does the final reductions at 6.30pm & closes at 8pm. Usually there is practically nothing left if I can get there in the evening. On one occasion I was in there when the girl came out with the pricing gun & a crowd formed behind her, even though the store was nearly empty!

Payday this month will be 21st & December’s pay will be early too. So the plan is to continue to work through the individual tubs still in the freezer & then on 21st can do a proper shop knowing I have enough money. The tubs that are left are not labelled, so over the weekend I will go through & try & work out what they are!

On a plus note, the freezer is now more frozen veggies & whoopsied meat and less individual tubs. And I will not have to get any extra food in for Chistmas, as DD will be with her Dad & I will be with relies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure