If things get tougher?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 12,492
Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
edited 11 October 2011 at 6:33PM in Old style MoneySaving
The Most Destructive Habit............................................. ...........WORRY
The Greatest Joy............................................... .............................GIVING
The Greatest Loss.............................................. ........................LOSS of SELF RESPECT
The Most Satisfying Work.............................................. ..........HELPING OTHERS
The Ugliest Personality Trait............................................. .....SELFISHNESS
The Most Endangered Natural Resource............................OUR YOUTH
The Greatest ‘Shot in the Arm’.............................................. ..ENCOURAGEMENT
The Greatest Problem to Overcome........................................FE AR
The Most Effective Sleeping Pill.............................................. PEACE of MIND
The Most Crippling Failure Disease......................................EXCUS ES
The Most Powerful Force of Life.............................................. LOVE
The Most Dangerous Pariah............................................ ........A GOSSIPER
The World's Most Incredible Computer................................THE BRAIN
The Worst Thing to be Without........................................... ......HOPE
The Deadliest Weapon............................................ .....................THE TONGUE
The Two Most POWER-FILLED Words...................................‘I CAN’
The Greatest Asset............................................. ..............................FAITH
The Most Worthless Emotion........................................... ...........SELF-PITY
The Most Beautiful Attire............................................ ............. ..‘A SMILE’
The Most Prized Possession........................................ ................INTEGRITY
The Most Powerful Channel of Communication is a...........HEART to HEART’
The Most Contagious Spirit............................................ .............ENTHUSIASM
The Most Important Thing in Life.............................................. LOVE

Comments

• Juni_3
    Juni_3 Posts: 170 Forumite
    Sell up and move to France. There's nothing more I am willing to do to cut back in this country.
    Debt in 1993: £35,000 | Debt in 2006: £0 | Assets in 2006: £2.3m and counting. :j

Anything is possible with hard work, determination and the love of a good woman. :D

There is no upper, middle or lower class. Simply those that have class and those that don't. ;)

• stop drinking :(
    no need for it really - especially as i'm getting fit this year

Graham
    Current CC debt : £00000

Was £4900 in May 2005

now got a girlfriend and savings
  • kiwichick
    kiwichick Posts: 1,857
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Work hard at getting ds toilet trained, nappies are EXPENSIVE! Also starting my own veg patch this year in which I will grow the more expensive things we buy.eg.cherry toms etc. Save money on food and get exercise as well!
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I've already started to walk to work, saving £3 each way in taxi fares (no buses run where I need to go) also helping to reduce my weight and blood pressure into the bargain. It's a win-win situation!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Graham I just cancelled my tesco wine order. I only ordered from tesco for the points. I think half the country will be belt-tightening before the end of 2006
  • SueRob_2
    SueRob_2 Posts: 153 Forumite
    I'd walk to work, but not get rid of the car as need it to get hubby to work. Get rid of stepson, lol! Also would get rid of internet access, though I'd miss it a lot. Don't think I could cut down on much more, when hubby is out of work, we live on £10k a year & find it a struggle.
    Sue
    The mind is like a parachute, it works best when open
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Have bought some seed from Netto (19p) aand I'm going to try growing rocket, peppers and little gem lettuce. It might not be a fantastic money-saving effort, but every little helps! Also just had cavity wall insulation, so hopefully gas bills will begin to fall now, or I guess they should stay around the current level if gas does increase massively in price as feared.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    No matter how tough things get I could never stop drinking :o

I'd stop buying meat too.

I once made a chart of protein prices,ie a list of meats,fish,cheese and pulses with the cost per lb.I didn't include anything more expensive than £2 a lb.

The 3 cheapest things were;
    Value baked beans -16p a lb
    Tinned sardines - 13p a lb
    Value tuna - 12p a lb

Dried pulses came in pretty low as well.
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm already in an extra layer of clothes and have the thermostat down by 2 c.

I've stopped smoking 12months now.

Reduced the amount of meat I buy.

Only drive my car 8 miles a week. Walk everywhere else.

Have not bought any clothes in over 6 months.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I would drink less, although I dont drink loads but good quality wine would not disappear from the shopping list. I suppose not buy any clothes for myself for 6 months would actually be fairly easy, and the kids I only need to buy for DD because DS's clothes go to ds2, and ds1 gets a friend's hand-me-downs.
    Probably keep my chickens rather than killing them as I can get a lot more meals out of the eggs than the birds themselves;)
    Im on a crusade not to leave lights on, doors open etc. unnecessarily, but feel im fighting a losing battle against the kids and OH.
    I dont buy loads of meat and could not do without that so I would just stretch things, which I already do anyway, i.e. make stock with bones, save the fat off meat for cooking other things.
    I have just changed telephone suppliers, and haggled on my mobile contract, the mobile alone was cut by £15 a month :) need it for business. Also im in the process of getting a new mortgage, saving £100 a month. I need to as things are going to be tight otherwise.
    Spose I will walk more rather than take the bus too.
    This month I am trying to have an 'anti spending' month. Also I worked out I need to raise £700 income this month from my business to not go overdrawn. Have done well already so I only need to make another £110 this month! Lets hope its always this good.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts