October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Comments

• egon
    egon Posts: 439 Forumite
    mumzyof2 wrote: »

Im wondering if anyone has a cheap Lasagne recipe?

Lasagne

Ingredients:
    2 gloves of garlic
    400g Mince meat (I only use 200g and bulk out with lentils and oats and extra veg)
    1 onion
    1 carrot
    1 small piece celeriac (I usually use turnip or 1/4 swede)
    2 tbsp tomato puree
    blob of red wine (I only put it in, if I have a bottle open, which is seldom)
    2 tin tomatoes
    oregano(about 1tsp), basil (about 1 tsp), salt, pepper, Cayennepepper

White sauce ingredients

50g butter
    50g flour
    500ml mixture of milk and cream
    salt, pepper, lemon juice, worcestersauce and 50g parmesan (cheddar does the job too)

1. Heat olive oil in a pan and crush the garlic and add to oil.
    Add mince meat and cook until browned. Add the chopped onion, carrot and celeriac and fry for a short while longer.
    Add the tomatoe puree and the red wine (if using)
    Cook for 8-10min
    2. Add the tin tomatoes and season with herbs, salt and pepper. Cook for another 10-15 min.
    3. For the white sauce, melt the butter in the pan and add the flour. Next add the milk/ cream mixture and and cook for 6-8 min until thickend. Add salt, pepper and some lemon juice and worcester sauce (to taste) and cheese.
    4. Oil a lasagne form, put lasagne sheets, mixture and white sauce in layers and top with cheese (and tomatoes...)
    Cook in the oven for about 10-15 min at 180-200 degree,

Also does anyone have a recipe for Carrot soup? Can i do this is the slow cooker? If so, How?

Carrot and cheddar soup

25g butter
    1 small onion
    500g carrots chopped
    1 medium potatoe chopped
    1.2l veg or chicken stock
    100g cheddar grated
    150ml milk

1. Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat and tip in onions, carrots and potatoes. Fry gently for about 10 min, stir occasionally.
    2. Pour in stock and bring to boil, then reduce the heat and cover the pan. Simmer for 20 min.
    3. Puree the mixture with a blender/ food processor. Then add the cheese and whizz again. Return the soup to the pan and pour in the milk. Reheat gently and season to taste.
    Serve with buttered toasted soldiers.

HTH egon
    I wish Germany had a website like moneysavingexpert!
  • the_cat
    the_cat Posts: 2,176
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi everyone:hello:

First update of the month for me and I'm pleased to say that I'm doing well so far.

As you can see, I have been a member for a long time now and over time I have changed the way I shop totally. In the beginning I used to make a plan and list and go once a week to a supermarket and get it. This was a huge improvement on my previous spends and I stuck with it for probably a couple of years.

Recently though I have moved to a new system which seems to work even better, although is perhaps a little more time consuming. I now carry a big (and I mean BIG!) store cupboard of basics which I stocked up a little at a time whenever I had 'spare' challenge money. I trawl through all the special offers each week and stock up on things that I use when they are cheap. Depending on how good the discount is and how much I can store, I will buy enough for a few months. Because I have the store cupboard of basics I find that my monthly spend does not need to fluctuate too much - I just let the store cupboard run down a little when I have spent a lot on offers.

I also make a point of doing a 'whoopsie hunt' trip at least once a week in the evening which has produced an amazing saving, especially for fruit/veg. Over the course of the month I therefore now pop into all of the supermarkets at least once and can cherry pick the offers from each (and pick up the value range items that we like best from each shop)

As a result I currently have enough food for the month in total and will just pick up milk along with my whoopsie haul for the rest of this month, along with any offers I see to use next month. Spend so far £49.98

OMG! What a waffle - I'll shut up now:o :o
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,613
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I've decided against menu planning -- although I am going to make sure I always have enough in to do meals for a few days (using store cupboard and freezer basics), and my bill has come down BIG time since I've based meals around whatever Whoopsie! goods I can get -- but I have the luxury of the time to go out Whoopsie! hunting a couple of times a day and no young children to run around after, which in themselves makes a huge difference.
    Cheryl
  • taffy1969
    taffy1969 Posts: 372
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi All
    I'm in this month - £350 for October for me. Hoping to get a few bits for christmas cupboard out of this, mind you we don't really buy very much extra as no one seems to eat it!!! Last year I bought 2 tins of sweets and got 2 as presents, I gave 3½ away!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Good luck everyone. Taffy:D
    Need to sort my life out! :T
  • jinky67
    jinky67 Posts: 47,812 Forumite
    Awwww you missed me:o
    can i have £250 for this month please?
    :heartpulsOnce a Flylady, always a Flylady:heartpuls
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    mumzyof2 wrote: »
    Im wondering if anyone has a cheap Lasagne recipe? I know how to make it but i have forgotten some things :rolleyes: Also my friend makes Lasagne with salami instead of mince and lots of veg like peppers and courgettes and its really tasty. But dont have any salami in and don't know how to make it :p
    Also does anyone have a recipe for Carrot soup? Can i do this is the slow cooker? If so, How?

Hi mumzy,

These threads might help too:

Lasagne recipe?

Carrot & Coriander Soup

Pink
  • Mornin all,

OH and I have the morning off so been busy making big batch of bolognese sauce for Spag Bol tonight and Lasagna next week.

Added tin toms,grated carrots,lentils,oats,mince,onions,stock,red wine,garlic,herbs,s & p.

Easily made bolognese for 5 for tonight and lasagna filling for 3 kids.

NSD for me today ,need a few things on list but not in meal plans anytime soon so will try to hold off as kids are going to Grandma's for the weekend so it will only be me and OH.

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • Can I join in please. My target this month is £300 to feed 2 adults, 3 children, 1 cat and 2 dogs. Every month I fail miserably but I'm determined this month.:rolleyes:
    Total Debt: £[STRIKE]21539.04[/STRIKE] (Dec 2011):eek: £6089.10 = 71.73%:o DFD: December 2016:j
    Official DFW Nerd # 703 Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • eilo1007
    eilo1007 Posts: 24 Forumite
    I think I tried this once before- many moons ago. Now though, it's time to get serious. Please put me down for £80. Thanks
    Live on £4000 a year - £37.26/£3000
    January Food Budget - £26.80/£80
    £5 a day in January - £21.75/105
    1st Debt I am planning to pay off - Cap 1 Mastercard £2400 - paid off so far ... I'll let you know when I get the bill in.
  • Stargirl29
    Stargirl29 Posts: 1,775
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Morning!

It's my first time trying this, and I'm excited, if a little nervous! As it's my first time, I'm going to have a go at guessing at £180 a month. That's for 2 adults (1 who constantly has to snack :mad: ) and one very greedy cat!

I've been meal planning for a while, but always end up spending extra anyway so I think it's time I need to really try! :D

I'm off sick today, so hoping that I can spend the time sorting the meals out, in between bouts of coughing and sneezing ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure