August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi there,
    Just thought I would share a pic of my first home-grown courgette!
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3105/2775419230_b8702e30de.jpg
    Its about 4 inches and looks quite nice! Proof that small veg can be grown in the cold north! Am gonna have it in my tacos later in the week (beef from another days roast, pepper, mush and courgette tacos mmmmm)
    There are now some red toms too :)
    x
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    congratulations IOIWE :T :j

I've got a MrT delivery booked for tomorrow which should come to about £80 but includes nappies (again) as the big packs of Pampers are 2 for £13.50 at the moment. They normally do them 2 for £16 so this is a good saving :)

Other offers ATM:
    Princes (orange/apple/pineapple/tomato/grapefruit) juice BOGOF @ £1.09 cheaper than value ;)
    500g Utterly Butterly £1
    Kerrygold butter 250g 2 for £1.60 cheaper than value ;) (ends Tuesday)
    red gem lettuce 2 pack 50p
    Farm Pride free range eggs box Of 15 £2
    loose peppers 50p
    4 large burger buns 50p
    kiwis pack 50p
    Cadbury's choc mousse 4 pack 48p
    Dairylea triangles 46p

Dinner tonight was spicy bean & sweet potato stew, v yummy and 17p per portion :D (or 30p per portion with tortilla chips & grated cheese :drool:)

Take care everyone :)

Nikki x
    :A
  • Just doing this MrT shop and i've noticed how rubbish all the BOGOF offers are! There's not a single thing in there I'd normally buy! Wish they would do BOGOF on tesco value... ;) x
  • Ooh, Nikki that sounds delish, I love sweet potato and butternut squash (think it's because I have a sweet tooth ;). Is that on the recipe index?
    God is good, all the time
    Do something that scares you every day
  • OrkneyStar
    Forumite
    angelnikki wrote: »
    congratulations IOIWE :T :j

I've got a MrT delivery booked for tomorrow which should come to about £80 but includes nappies (again) as the big packs of Pampers are 2 for £13.50 at the moment. They normally do them 2 for £16 so this is a good saving :)

Other offers ATM:
    Princes (orange/apple/pineapple/tomato/grapefruit) juice BOGOF @ £1.09 cheaper than value ;)
    500g Utterly Butterly £1
    Kerrygold butter 250g 2 for £1.60 cheaper than value ;) (ends Tuesday)
    red gem lettuce 2 pack 50p
    Farm Pride free range eggs box Of 15 £2
    loose peppers 50p- I nearly bought these but then saw the 3 pack of peppers was £1.38, so cheaper per pepper if you use a reasonable amount and/or freeze some- the multi packs currently have red, yellow and orange (my faves :) )
    4 large burger buns 50p
    kiwis pack 50p
    Cadbury's choc mousse 4 pack 48p
    Dairylea triangles 46p

Dinner tonight was spicy bean & sweet potato stew, v yummy and 17p per portion :D (or 30p per portion with tortilla chips & grated cheese :drool:)

Take care everyone :)

Nikki x
    Thanks for this nikki, I just added a wee comment re the peppers- hope you don't mind :D x

• OrkneyStar
    Forumite
    Just doing this MrT shop and i've noticed how rubbish all the BOGOF offers are! There's not a single thing in there I'd normally buy! Wish they would do BOGOF on tesco value... ;) x
    I often think BOGOF's are not really worth it tbh. Often value works out cheaper, not always of course. I think they are trying even harder to get us to buy stuff we don't actually want but they want to sell!! I also think that more stores have the same BOGOF's now too. Our Tesco seems to be selling all the 'Healthy Living' range cheap just now, although not sure if this is every store or not. Shame I have no room in my freezer for anything else! :rolleyes:
    OH and congratulations IOIWE :j :T :j

• OrkneyStar wrote: »
    I often think BOGOF's are not really worth it tbh. Often value works out cheaper, not always of course. I think they are trying even harder to get us to buy stuff we don't actually want but they want to sell!! I also think that more stores have the same BOGOF's now too. Our Tesco seems to be selling all the 'Healthy Living' range cheap just now, although not sure if this is every store or not. Shame I have no room in my freezer for anything else! :rolleyes:
    OH and congratulations IOIWE :j :T :j

Furthermore, the 'offers for kids' section is shocking!! :eek: It's all crisps, sugary drinks and ice-creams! The healthiest thing in there is a few tubs of frozen fruit! MrT you should be ashamed! xx
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    edited 9 March 2010 at 3:51PM
    Ooh, Nikki that sounds delish, I love sweet potato and butternut squash (think it's because I have a sweet tooth ;). Is that on the recipe index?

It will be in a minute... :D

Spicy Bean & Sweet Potato Stew

1 tsp each of cumin, coriander and chilli powder 5p
    1/2 onion, cubed 5p
    1 large sweet potato, cubed 35p
    2 carrots, cubed 10p
    handful of cubed butternut squash 10p (optional - I had some in the freezer)
    1 tin kidney beans 14p
    1 tin pinto beans 33p
    1 tin chopped tomatoes 21p
    tomato puree 5p
    3/4 pint stock free

Fry the spices and then add the onion, sweet potato, carrots & squash and saute for a couple of minutes. Then add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 30-40mins. Total cost £1.38 for 8 portions, cost per portion 17p

Can be served on its own or with tortilla chips (2 bags @ 18p each) and grated cheese (100g @67p) Total cost per portion 30p

OrkneyStar - I shop online and knowing my luck the delivery driver/picker would choose the pack that had all green ones in _pale_ so it's better for me to get them loose when on offer and slice + freeze ;)

Nikki x
    :A
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Evening all

Hubby still not back from the leaving do -but at least he rang to let me know -they are on a mini bus so they have to go with the majority :rolleyes: ..plus point is that they have gone back to the house of the guy whos leaving do it is and it seems he has a huge apple tree in his garden and they don't use them -so tomorrow -when they are both sober hubby is going to see about me collecting some at the weekend :j and most surprising of all -it was hubbies idea :eek: :T -by heck i think hubby is seeing the light ;) .. that and any blackberries i get at the weekend are just meant to go together nomnomnom

Well I have just had my chicken canelonni and its a hit :j ... i roughly weighed stuff out as i concocted -just in case it was any good -so i will post it -just in case its of any use to anyone;) i created it according to the veggies i needed to use

I only did it for 2..and the amounts sound mean -but im amazed at what it made:D and somehow the balance was perfect :p

CHICKEN CANELONNI
    • fry 1 chopped onion in a drop of oil
    • add 60g mushrooms and 60g peppers -mine were frozen
    • then when softened I added 1 chopped patty pan -about 60g courgette is the same and 120g fresh baby tomatoes chopped -just because that was what i had from outside that needed using ;) and plenty of seasoning then cook slowly to allow the veg to soften down
    • add 120g leftover roast chicken and a dollop of cheese/white sauce -just enough to bind it
    • Leave to cool then use a tsp to fill the tubes
    That was enough to fill 10 canelonni tubes (the ones the size of brandy snaps) and there was a bit leftover

i put 5 tubes in each dish and the leftover sauce over the top, poured over some cheese sauce (hm from the freezer :T ) then i put red liecester and lancashire over the top and baked -well they were the 2 cheeses that were open ;)

It was stunning ....i should have used the rest of the filling to fill more tubes -didn't realise it would be soooo filling -little oinker that i am i still ate it.. next time i will do 12 tubes and only have 3-4 each with salad not 5 :o

Right off to let my dinner go down..could be some time :o :rotfl:
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • OrkneyStar
    Forumite
    angelnikki wrote: »
    OrkneyStar - I shop online and knowing my luck the delivery driver/picker would choose the pack that had all green ones in _pale_ so it's better for me to get them loose when on offer and slice + freeze ;)

Nikki x
    Hmmmmm, I don't think I could shop online (not that we have the option here anyway!) as I like to choose my peppers lol! The multipacks looked really good this time, some times they are cruddy! The somerfield cheap ones (Basics I think) were 1 red and 5 green normally, which is fine if you like green peppers I suppose but I prefer orange or yellow, followed by red, then green! 50p is cheap though as loose peppers can cost up to 90p!! Lets hope the delivery people pick you nice fresh, round, sweet yummy ones :T
    Edited to say, MrsM, your recipe sounds so good we are going to have chicken lasagne made with your canelloni recipe (we've no canneloni tubes but have lasagne sheets!) and will just also interspace with a tomato sauce. Will give me a chance to use my homemade courgette (was going to put in tacos but they will have beans instead. Mouth watering already :drool:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure