August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• DdraigGoch
    DdraigGoch Posts: 730
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Please may I join in - I'm aiming for £180 for the month, that's for 3 adults, 1 x 16yo and 1 dog. Keep your fingers crossed for me - last month was over £450 :eek: I think it's about time I stopped the rest of the family shopping ......

Many thanks for all the links - this will be a tremendous help, if only I can stick with it ...
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!! :D
  • Flylady_Flower
    Flylady_Flower Posts: 2,855
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thank you to Mrs M & Nikki for your wonderful advice re tonics and prescriptions - I know I need it but it's getting my a**e up and getting it - will ring tomorrow and book appt, then get one of those prepayment certs... :beer:

Thanks for the recipe on HM Coleslaw too, sounds yummy with the red onion, guess what I'm getting tomorrow! :D

I have made my meal plan for next week and will go shopping with list tomorrow - the days might get changed but at least we'll have the food in:

Monday - Chilli Con Carni & rice for hubby & DS, Cheese & spinach omlette for me
    Tuesday - Chilli & HM Chips for hubby & DS, Pie & HM chips for me (can't tell I don't like chilli can you:confused: )
    Wednesday - HM Meatballs, Tagliatelle & Tomato Sauce
    Thursday - Liver, Bacon, Onions & Mash for hubby, Salmon & Tomato pasta bake for me & DS (hubby doesn't like salmon & we don't like liver - see, it all works out in the end...)
    Friday - Gammon, eggs & HM chips or Salad (depends on the weather)
    Saturday - Spaghetti Bolognese & HM garlic bread
    Sunday - Roast Pork dinner (including roast spuds, roast parsnips & swede & carrot mash - numnumnum, my favorite!)

I need to do this every week to keep us on track, as have been slipping lately, so feel free to PM me to nag if I need it, I'll do the same to you if you want... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • gillian576
    gillian576 Posts: 28 Forumite
    I'd like to take part. First month for us and I'm setting the budget at £400 for the month of August. (28th July - 27th August). 2 adults and 4 children.
  • zoe260373
    zoe260373 Posts: 868 Forumite
    hello August thread,(how fast is this year gowing?)anyway,my july total is £403.88:eek: not great but as it was my 1st attempt and still much less than usual im quite happy.angelnikki,can you put me down for £350 againfor August please and i promose to try harder,will definately get around to doing meal plans as still havent yet:o thanks all for starting a new thread and bringing all handy info over too,great for a technophobe like me!well done all who did well and keep your chin up all that didnt(like me)
    catch up on julys thread now,bye all.xxx
    family is me,oh,16yDS,10DD,9DS&17month old DS,2dogs,3cats,4bunnies,5 ex battery hens&5fish.GC challenge-/£300:pspends already this month-animal food-£28,mr T shop-£119.plus local shop spends total spent £257,:j
  • zoe260373
    zoe260373 Posts: 868 Forumite
    hi all thought id post my recipe(from a friend)for traditional catalan style allioli,now that ive actualy made it for myself,its lovely,but verrry moreish:o

5 cloves garlic crushed/i used garlic paste:rolleyes:
    good pinch of salt
    1 large egg
    1 cup of light olive oil/or mix of extra virgin olive oil and veg oil

in a processor mix garlic,salt and egg for about 30 seconds,then slowly add the oil,it will begin to thicken and resemble mayonnaise,put in the fridge for at least an hour before use and it will keep for about a week,this makes about 1&1/2 cups.(lovely with sticks of cucumber)

enjoy,nomnomnom.xxx
    family is me,oh,16yDS,10DD,9DS&17month old DS,2dogs,3cats,4bunnies,5 ex battery hens&5fish.GC challenge-/£300:pspends already this month-animal food-£28,mr T shop-£119.plus local shop spends total spent £257,:j
  • mhe
    mhe Posts: 418 Forumite
    ok - have checked freezer and cupboards and made list ready to hit asda tomorrow bright and early. Still got quite a bit of stuff in and off on hols mid aug so fingers crossed should be ok. Sadly will have to take children with me tomorrow as its school hols - that will mean a few extra bits in trolly that arent on the list i guess!!:rolleyes:
    "With no money you start to discover your own inner resource" GK Chesterton
    2 adults, 3 children
  • frugalswan
    frugalswan Posts: 339 Forumite
    And so it begins for me today. I've my meal plans already sorted - it'll just be a question of giving up cola, I think, to get the costs down. Which is going to be hard. Good luck everyone!
    Continually trying the Grocery Challenge. Gotta keep trying!
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    mornin all on this wet and miserable day

have got an NSD day planned today, and hopefully won't need to spend too much this week as my freezers are well stocked and i've got enough dog food for the next couple of weeks ....... should be just bits and bobs i need , or at least that's what i'm hoping!!

off to my gran's in a couple of hours to do her housework, then i think i might do some baking when i get back...choc chip muffins for DS15 as he's been begging me to make these for days now

made iced buns yesterday, and we only ate a few of them, so the rest have gone in the freezer...not sure how long they'll last in there tho :D

right, best get in the shower...........hope everyone has a good day, and you don't get too wet! x
  • Flylady_Flower
    Flylady_Flower Posts: 2,855
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Morning all,
    Right, have checked the freezer, fridge and cupboards to update my lists, have done my meal plan and am now double checking shopping list - busy morning so far. :A

I've also ordered my PPC online (thank you to Kaat_Lady & Nikki) - £27.85 and will at least be able to reclaim todays and tomorrows scripts (Friday's £7.10 is too late, why didn't I listen to Kaat_Lady earlier! :mad: )

I am buzzing this morning :j - god knows why as I didn't go to bed till 1am and I was up at 5am - think coz I slept like a log for the first time in ages last night, so 4 hours solid sleep has been better than long layins not sleeping IYKWIM...:confused:

I'm just about to jump in shower then on with remaining stuff - lets see how long this lasts...:confused: will update later when back from Icelands on any bargains... Have a good day, seems cooler here at the moment, thank god! :D
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • jackiegibbo
    jackiegibbo Posts: 603 Forumite
    Good morning from sunny bournemouth its going to be a scorcher down here but as im from glasgow its too hot for me:rolleyes:
    Anyway got to take my cat and dog to the vet this morning for checkup and booster injections and this afternoon im off to see a friend and her children so im managing to avoid the shops today.
    So a nsd for me today.........Ive come to the conclusion that if i avoid asdas when im running out of stuff and just make do until i do my weekly shop i get on a lot better with my challenge.

Good luck everyone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport