July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    good evening all

My bread burnt in the BM I had put too many sunflower seeds in it and I thought I had measured them

oh well never mind I will eat it anyway
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• fertyskids
    fertyskids Posts: 138 Forumite
    hi everyone, hope your all ok.

another NSD day today that makes 7 this month !! Yipee.

getting board of sloppy food, spag bol casseroles etc.

ive been given loads of courgettes, any ideas what i can do with them?

also some sort of veg i dont recognise, white shaped likes a ball????? with leaves out of the top like a carrot.

thanks karen
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    OFF to bed now see you tomorrow

goodNIGHT.gif
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• annelouise_2
    annelouise_2 Posts: 360 Forumite
    g'nite kaat_lady
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • Blairweech
    Blairweech Posts: 1,379
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Definantly NOT a NSD for me! After all my bills etc had been paid, I had £45 to buy petrol, food, electric, credit et al or the week. I got £10 electric, and I was just going to get £20 petrol or something BUT I had a 5p voucher from tesco, so I Though I might as well fill up m tank and get maximum savings :embarrased: So anyway, that cost £38, then I went to the carbot and spent about another £20, then I went to town and bough some jiffy bags (for Ebay) and a draught exluder for my door and that cost me another £6!!!

Oh, and I went to Aldi and Sainsburys and bought peppers and chicken. Another £12.

I think a problem with my earnings is that it seems like someweeks when i have over £200 coming in, I have no boills to pay, but weeks when I only have £170 coming in (the weeks I don't work on a Saturday :rolleyes:) ALL my bills are due.
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • perrywinkle
    perrywinkle Posts: 224
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    fertyskids wrote: »
    hi everyone, hope your all ok.

ive been given loads of courgettes, any ideas what i can do with them?

thanks karen

Hi fertyskids,

I grow tomatoes and courgettes and this is something we look forward to making when they are both ready to eat. Quite often see whoopsied brie as well which makes it cheaper to make.

Spaghetti with courgettes, tomato and brie

300g spaghetti
    500g courgettes (halved length ways and sliced)
    3 tbsp olive oil
    2 garlic cloves (sliced thinly)
    Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
    6 ripe tomatoes (roughly chopped)
    140g brie (cubed)

Cook spaghetti in boiling salted water for about 12 minutes.
    Heat the oil. Fry courgettes and garlic for 3 – 4 minutes until softened.
    Add lemon zest, tomatoes and about 3 tablespoons of the pasta water to make a sauce.
    Cook for 2 – 3 minutes until the tomato begins to soften.
    Remove from the heat and stir in the brie so it just starts to melt.
    Season and add lemon juice to taste.
    Drain the spaghetti and add to the tomato mixture. Mix well and serve.

HTH
    Perrywinkle
  • annelouise_2
    annelouise_2 Posts: 360 Forumite
    blairweech

If you do not need padded envelopes why dont you pick up the silver special delivery plsastic envelopes free and turn inside out and use them.I do saves me a small fortune and they are waterproof and light weight!!!

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • fertyskids
    fertyskids Posts: 138 Forumite
    thanks perrywinkle,
    its sounds delicous. i'll have that for my tea tommorrow.
    could i freeze courgettes in your sauce or raw as i have a lot.
    thanks again its brill on here everyone is so helpful.
  • shezza
    shezza Posts: 127 Forumite
    Evening everyone, could someone put the title of the book that was recommended on this thread at the beginning of the week please. I have looked through loads of the pages and I just can't seem to find it, and I would like to see if I can get it from the library.

Curry Queens chicken bhuna was lovely, highly recommended. The base sauce takes a while to prepare but you have enough for another 3 curries. Going to try the korma next.
  • zoe260373
    zoe260373 Posts: 868 Forumite
    shezza wrote: »
    Evening everyone, could someone put the title of the book that was recommended on this thread at the beginning of the week please. I have looked through loads of the pages and I just can't seem to find it, and I would like to see if I can get it from the library.

Curry Queens chicken bhuna was lovely, highly recommended. The base sauce takes a while to prepare but you have enough for another 3 curries. Going to try the korma next.
    hiya it was-how to feed your whole family a healthy,balanced diet with very little money and hardly any time,even if you have a tiny kitchen,only three saucepans (one with an ill-fitting lid) and no fancy gadgets-unless you count the garlic crusher...by Gill Holcombe
    family is me,oh,16yDS,10DD,9DS&17month old DS,2dogs,3cats,4bunnies,5 ex battery hens&5fish.GC challenge-/£300:pspends already this month-animal food-£28,mr T shop-£119.plus local shop spends total spent £257,:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure