Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Comments

• Sallygirl
    Sallygirl Posts: 115
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    weezl - I just wanted to say thanks for all the effort you are putting in with lists and recipes for us all. We really appreciate all your work and personally, I'm finding it really helpful.

:T
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Evening all! Just back from worm and about to make the pate!! Only managed to get fresh ones but tesco have an offer for 2 for 1.50 at the mo for those who may be interested!! May freeze nicer than preprozen but will go & have a look on website for frozen to check weights arent too different! Will also sign up for the GB for this month! Need to have a think about what I an live on between now & pay day (20th!) because want it to be a challenge without starving IYKWIM!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    wow 64p isn't a lot at all you are doing fabulously we are all proud of you ,thanks for sharing all the plans and recipes

Shazx
    Shaz
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Well I'm back, have made the pate & it tastes deeelicious! But...I did forget that I cant stand the touch of liver so cookig/chopping was interesting!! There was slightly more than the frozen packs so little puss cats have benfitted! I chcked in a bit of brandy & some mixed herbs while it was whizzing & its great! Loads there so will freeze a load, give a pressie to a friend who I know will love it & keep some for the weekend! Thanks weezl for inspiring me to do sommat I would never have thought of making & once tastes pepys I can confirm that you'll never buy it again but bottoms may expand as there is LOADS of butter in it!! Dont forget I have marmalade for you weezle if you would like it we could arrange a pick up at a neutral venue!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    awww insearch of me, that is sooooo kind of you! But since I know you can flog them at work for £1.50, I'd feel awful acceptin your lovely offer! ;)Really glad the pate worked well for you, It's lovely isn't it? My mum used to give them away as christmas gifts with a sort of fruity glaze in crockery pots, brown earthenware ones I think. Might be a thought for this years hamper challenge...

Still doing my research on zinc peeps...

Back soon,

Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Helloo again lovelies...

A couple of interesting reads on zinc, here and here

Still I'm troubled by how the internet journalism is inundated with calorie values, but nothing about all the things that keep us alive... Since when is 'fatness' the only risk to health in the UK?!

Bad news for veggies (poor ceridwen and candygirl, and Mr. Bails:(): The downside of taking these high zinc foods is that no matter how much of them you take in, only a mere 15%-40% of the zinc actually gets absorbed by your body overall. This is especially true for non-meat zinc food sources. Dietary fibers and phytic acid in your brain prevents the absorption of zinc in your body. Phytic acid found in your brain forms a complex with the zinc that you take in, and this compound is insoluble so that it cannot be absorbed readily by your body. Whole grains are a better source of zinc than refined grains as they have the ability to produce enzymes that can destroy phytic acid. On the other hand, the zinc you get from eating meat is four times more bio-available than in grain foods.
    This is also useful, showing both liver (good news for shaz and insearchofme there with that yummy pate!;)) and spinach as very good sources. Don’t worry about the butter content, just say to yourself, ‘it’s for my essential mineral intake!)

Women need 7mg daily, men need 9.5 mg

How are me and Mr. Weezl managing this on a typical day?

1.36g zinc in our evening’s rice
    6 slices bread is 4.5 mg zinc
    75g raw weight lentils in a dahl would provide 3 more or
    Chickpea curry gives about the same
    A cup of milk in tea and coffees finishes the job off nicely at another miligram of zinc, that’s Mr Weezl all full up of lovely zinc.:T

Days when we have meat, liver pate or spinach in saag bhajee it’s even better!

Bails where did you find that nutritional profile of nettles? :confused:I’m wondering if they are high in zinc, as they are so similar to spinach in flavour…

Just testing out my '4 bean salad' recipe amounts, and the caramelised onion tarts with walnutty pastry…. :D

It’s lovely to get all the support and encouragement. Isn’t MSE so much nicer than real life?!:D
    Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • funkyfunkymonkey
    funkyfunkymonkey Posts: 2,727 Forumite
    weezl74 wrote: »
    Hi Bails,

all those natco things came from ASDA, that whole list did. Hope that helps!

Weezl x

I went to Tesco's tonight, they had quite a large natco range - I bought chickpeas to have a go at your houmous recipe. Thanks for all of the lists and recipes Weezl :T

FFM :)
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us :hello: make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • bails
    bails Posts: 3,196 Forumite
    Hi Weezl, here's where I read some of the nettle info, will try and find some more x
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016
    500/30,000
    1.67%
  • cheerfulness4
    cheerfulness4 Posts: 2,874
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Thanks for the great info on zinc weezl :D Will have to put my thinking cap on to make sure that Mr Cheerfulness gets his full quota.

Must try this nettle soup, too. Thanks for the link Bails. Quite excited about cooking something so unusual to us. :rolleyes:

Have bought the ingredients last night to make the liver pate, so that will keep me busy on Monday (off out all weekend). The hummus recipe was a great success and I loved the flavour even more after freezing.
    Can't believe how much money this is saving us. :D
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Hi Weezl

thought you might like my lemon cake recipe not sure of the costings now as but originally about 54p if you use smartprice lemon curd and value eggs(i use free range) makes about 8-10 slices in a 2lb loaf tin

It freezes well ,i slice and freeze on a tray then pop into a bag then remove a slice at a time and put in the family's packed lunch (still frozen keeps everything else cool and defrosts in time for lunch,i do this with juice cartons in the summer too home made mini ice packs that you can drink)

Ingredients

100g margarine
    75g caster sugar
    2 eggs
    175g self-raising flour
    ½- 1 jar lemon curd

Method

1. Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees centigrade. Grease /line a 2lb loaf tin

2. Place all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix together for about 5 minutes

3. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin level the top.

4. Bake for approximately 40 minutes until browned.

don't know if 5p a slice is within your budget also have a fruit cake similair price let me know if you want it and will post it

Shaz
    Shaz
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family