Parcelforce 'Clearance fee'

Options

Comments

• Freddie_Snowbits
    Options
    I wish some would grow up on this thread. I pay UPS £10 on my credit card to receive photographic equipment from the USA. They save me the trip to the customs office (Petrol! Time!) and then delvier to my door. If you do not like the fact that courires do this, then get a cheap flight and import yourself.

Oh, and do not do like the guy infront of me who bought his kit from the Duty Free in Dubai. Nicely wrpped in bags, with the words DUBAI DUTY FREE all over. He walked into the green lane and had it taken off him! It made me chuckle so much, I cried for a week.
  • Tight_Old_Git
    Options
    Received a ransom note from Parcelfarce a couple of days ago £23.74 VAT and £13.50 rip off clearance fee for unsolicited services, sent from the Depot Manager of North West London Depot (Yvonne Cookhorn)

I called the depot using the number on the saynoto0870 website to ask why Parcelfarce were breaking the law by intentionally delaying my mail and was asked to call the Managing Directors team on a rip off 0870 number. Parcelfarce numpty refused to give out a regular phone number as getting customers to use 0870 numbers is all part of the plan to rip us off. Anyhow the number to call is 01908 687000. The numpty at Parcelfarce HQ believes the the Postal Services Act 2000 does not apply to Royal Mail and Parcelfarce et al, therefore they are not breaking the law. He also stated that the parcel is not my property until the ransom charges are paid. He did say however that they would deliver my package and then invoice me for the fees as per DHL etc, I don't expect that will happen though.

I then contacted Postwatch and got this reply:

Dear Mr XXXX

Thank you for your e-mail of XX April 2008.

Postal items arriving into the UK from outside the European Union worth over
    £18 (£36 if a gift), or required for anti smuggling must be presented to
    customs and may be subject to Value Added Tax (VAT) and import duty. This
    charge is paid to HM Customs and Excise by the delivery company in the UK
    on behalf of customers and operators reclaim this from the recipient when
    they collect the item.

Where import duty or VAT is payable, the recipient is also subject to a
    customs clearance fee imposed by individual postal operators. According to
    Royal Mail, this fee covers the cost of collecting; administering; handling; and
    processing the duties due, and may go towards lost revenue. Postal
    Operators should only request a customs clearance fee when HM Custom
    and Excise officials stop an item.

Royal Mail Group's (RMG - including Parcelforce) clearance fees are set at a
    fixed level (regardless of the goods' value or duties raised). For Parcelforce,
    the fee is £8 (non-guaranteed items) and £13.50 (express services). Royal
    Mail's fee is set at £8.

There is no dispute regarding the operator's ability to retain a parcel until the
    customs fee is paid, however, there appears to be a case for saying that a
    postal operator may be acting illegally if it retains an item in order
    to claim its clearance fee.

The relevant provisions of the Postal Services Act (section 103-105) are the
    responsibility of BERR (the Department for Business Enterprise and
    Regulatory Reform) and neither Postwatch nor Postcomm (the Regulator) has
    any enforcement powers. BERR state that the issue is one for the courts to
    decide. Postwatch therefore advice that, under such circumstances,
    customers seek legal advice.

Royal Mail claims that it makes a loss of about £1.5m per annum on items
    that it fails to collect custom charges on. To prevent further losses, it has
    recently secured the necessary investment to be able to track imports from
    port of entry to Office of Exchange, and items with customs charges from
    Office of Exchange to delivery and is hopeful that this will reduce revenue
    loss.

Postwatch anticipates that once a robust audit trail is in place, and there is
    evidence that the percentage of items that skip through customs charges has
    reduced, we would be able to put forward a case for Royal Mail to reduce its
    clearance fee.

Postwatch observes that the main concern customers have is not being aware
    of possible additional charges at the time of purchase. We feel that customers
    should be confident when placing orders that the price they have been quoted
    is the price they will pay and that there are no hidden charges. We urge postal
    operators to work with online retailers and other posting customers to make all
    likely charges clear before purchases are made.

Many online retailers now include information on customs clearance fees on
    their websites. Postwatch urges that customers always read these details
    carefully before placing orders to prevent unexpected charges.

Information on customs clearance charges is available on RMG's website;
    more information can also be obtained at

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.p
    ortal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_0000
    14&propertyType=document

Postwatch is an independent organisation set up under the Postal Services
    Act 2000, to represent the interests of users of postal services. We do this by
    taking up individual complaints when the consumer has already raised the
    case with the Licensed Postal Operator and is dissatisfied with the result.

If you wish to contact Postwatch in future by mail, any correspondence should
    be address to FREEPOST POSTWATCH (no stamps or additional address
    details are required on the front of the envelope). Please make sure you
    include a return address on the back of your envelope.

Yours sincerely

Parcelfarce will continue to fleece its' customers until there is a test case in the courts like the illegal bank charges case. There is a class action taking place against UPS in the States

http://www.poynerbaxter.com/UPS/Statement%20of%20Claim.pdf

Surprised Martin is not on the case here as he detests all things rip off.

I have no problem with paying the duty+VAT but am against these ransom demands and blatant profiteering. Not so long ago ParcelFarce would bring the parcel to your door and I would write a cheque and give it to the driver. These days Parcelfarce can't trust its' drivers with money and so customers have to suffer delays because the company is so inept.

So what will happen to my consignment? If I have to go and pick it up on Saturday, Parcelfarce will be billed at the same rate they charge for the same service ie £12, and if they fail to hand over my package without paying the ransom fee, I will simply cancel the cheque and pay the VAT after deducting my fees.
  • ericakramer
    Options
    Last week Royal Mail left a card requesting a £12.02 customs charge on a delivery. I wasn’t too surprised, as I had ordered an expensive item from the US that exceeded the £18 allowance. On arriving at the sorting office with the correct money to collect my package I found that it was not the item I was expecting but another one that had been delayed for 2 weeks as a result of being held up in Customs/Royal Mail with a significantly lower value - £22.99. I questioned this with the Royal Mail employee & she just stated that it was customs charge. I asked to look at the breakdown of charges realising that VAT on £22.99 would be approx £4. Then I discovered the £8 ‘Royal Mail international handling fee’. I announced that I was happy to pay the VAT element but refused to pay Royal Mail their fee. I decided to take the admin fee matter up with Royal Mail and to decline the package on principle.

Surely this £8 charge cannot be fair or justified by Royal Mail? Is there any way that a proportion can be reclaimed? I have since checked the Royal mail site & it mentions the £8 flat fee for items incurring customs charges however this does not make it fair or just. I have no objection to paying the VAT charge but £8 is extortionate for an admin fee & Royal Mail are holding the vast majority of internet shoppers to ransom to line their own pockets. Is there any ay of dealing with Custms & Excise directly to avoid paying this hefty admin fee?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Last week Royal Mail left a card requesting a £12.02 customs charge on a delivery. I wasn’t too surprised, as I had ordered an expensive item from the US that exceeded the £18 allowance. On arriving at the sorting office with the correct money to collect my package I found that it was not the item I was expecting but another one that had been delayed for 2 weeks as a result of being held up in Customs/Royal Mail with a significantly lower value - £22.99. I questioned this with the Royal Mail employee & she just stated that it was customs charge. I asked to look at the breakdown of charges realising that VAT on £22.99 would be approx £4. Then I discovered the £8 ‘Royal Mail international handling fee’. I announced that I was happy to pay the VAT element but refused to pay Royal Mail their fee. I decided to take the admin fee matter up with Royal Mail and to decline the package on principle.

Surely this £8 charge cannot be fair or justified by Royal Mail? Is there any way that a proportion can be reclaimed? I have since checked the Royal mail site & it mentions the £8 flat fee for items incurring customs charges however this does not make it fair or just. I have no objection to paying the VAT charge but £8 is extortionate for an admin fee & Royal Mail are holding the vast majority of internet shoppers to ransom to line their own pockets. Is there any ay of dealing with Custms & Excise directly to avoid paying this hefty admin fee?

nope,rm is presently in the process of looking at customs fee's with postcomm to see what the true costs/losses involved are
    a new tracking system has been implemented to allow them to monitor the packages and costs involved
  • BennyHill_3
    Options
    Tight_Old_Git youve just ruined all the fun for all the new complianers (me included) on this board !!!! :rotfl: - I was gonna post a complaint but youve answered all my problems with yours!!!

why didnt you highlight the parts in your letter from post comm saying

Where import duty or VAT is payable, the recipient is also subject to a customs clearance fee imposed by individual postal operators.

and

There is no dispute regarding the operator's ability to retain a parcel until the customs fee is paid.

Then you say "I would write a cheque and give it to the driver" and in the next paragraph you state "and if they fail to hand over my package without paying the ransom fee, I will simply cancel the cheque and pay the VAT after deducting my fees" - and people wonder why Royal mail dont release packages until they get the money when your reply from PostComm says they loose 1.5 Million a year from people not paying!?!?!?! - and youve the cheek to blame the drivers!!!! I know many people who work as delivery drivers and let me tell you there as hardworking and honest as the days long.

Well you've answered my question why R.M. now invoice customers before releasing a parcel!!!!! - People doing things like that pushing up the charges and making them resort to inconveniencing the rest of us.

Im never happy paying a £8 brokerage and admin charge on my import items through Royal Mail (because thats all it appears to be in PostComms letter - it wont be included as part of the postage so i guess as not everything goes through customs someone has to pay for this extra work, unfortunatly its us on the delivery end) - but other items I have to deal with customs directly cost my dealership £100's a month in admin / brokerage / storage fees e.t.c. - then transportation costs from secure sites - the cost soon starts mounting up and id be happy if this just cost a nice flat rate £8 like my boxes of screws, sparkplugs and decals from America that can fit through the USPS + Royal Mail.

Ringing Royal Mail H.Q. over £13.50 as well - that made me laugh all evening (Do you ring Microsoft asking for Bill Gates when your computer breaks!?!? ) - they even offered to invoice you for the fee so you could have your parcel - I bet this was this after paying your customs charges because as postcomm have let us know - There is no dispute regarding the operator's ability to retain a parcel until the customs fee is paid + where import duty or VAT is payable, the recipient is also subject to a customs clearance fee imposed by individual postal operators. :rotfl:

:beer:
  • Tight_Old_Git
    Tight_Old_Git Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Benny Hill, true to form ParcelFarce failed to send me an invoice for my parcel so I collected it myself from Park Royal, paid the duty and VAT and told them to bill me for the £13.50 ransom charge, which they so far have not done and that was a month ago. Glad you found it hilarious but charging £13.50 to pay £23 tax is no laughing matter, I've paid £100's to Parcelfarce drivers over the years but am no longer prepared to pay them to intentionally delay my mail with their ridiculous 'you can't receive your package until you pay our rip off charges' policy.

• Canela
    Options
    I am hoping that someone will be able to help me regarding VAT and parcel force. I moved here from San Francisco in 2007 bringing all my personal belongings with me including my laptop which were exempt from any VAT and custom charges.
    Last month my laptop crashed and I found out that the extended warranty I purchased in California was not valid here in the UK. A few weeks after it crashed my mom died so I went home to California taking my laptop with me where I sent it to be repaired and had it sent to my sister-in-law who then sent it back to me.
    Yesterday I got a letter from parcelforce saying I had to pay a £63.81 V.A.T and £13.50 clearnce fees. Why do I have to pay these fees on my laptop which was purchased in California 2 freaking years ago that was exempt from VAT's and custom fees when I moved here? I have tried to call the customs number they listed on the letter but have had no joy as the line is constantly busy and I have tried all day. Can someone help me?!!!!!
    Canela
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    you really need to speak to customs,as they decide the item has duty due
    its doesnt,but you need to prove this to customs
  • TorturedSoul
    Options
    Hello, I just paid £56.62 in 'custom fees' over the phone to parcelforce. It was only after i put down the phone that a letter arrived stating that £13.50 was actually parcelforce fees. They made no mention of this fee over the phone. Just phoned them up they denied they could do anything and gave me an address to write to. Is there any chance of me getting my money back?
    thanks for any help
  • finallycruising
    Options
    I just searched for posts on this issue having been charged £8 by RM to collect £2.14 in VAT. I bought a secondhand vintage ceramic item for c.£44 from Canada which, unusually, had the correct VAT rate of 5% applied. Had the item been liable to 17.5% VAT the collection figure would have been about the same level as the tax, however, in these circumstances it was 4x the tax!

It seems really unfair to be charged such a large collection fee, when there doesn't appear to be an alternative.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure