Current market carnage - anyone selling or buying?

Options

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    mollycat wrote: »
    Aaah, Meesster Sheep.....

We've been expecting you!

:)
    :rotfl:
    You can always tell when the markets are about to go up and AFOS wants to buy. Because she will either start a doom and gloom thread, or show up to one, and say that the markets are wobbling but nobody should worry or do any fearmongering because investing is long term and you should hold. And then two or three posts later, do a bit of fearmongering and say you should sell or at least make sure you don't buy.

You could make a lot of quick money whenever AFOS makes a doom and gloom comment by immediately placing your online order for a FTSE tracker fund to deal the next day, and then selling a few weeks later.

Oct'14
    The wheels have come off. It's all heading south from now on folks.
    With further steep losses to come people would be daft buying into equities for a while

This comment was made on Thursday 16 Oct '14 ; after a downturn, the FTSE had fallen a little further from 6340 the previous Friday 10th, and closed at 6310 on Friday 17th. It then went up for five weeks straight, delivering a 7% rise to 6750 on Friday 21 Nov. It continued onwards and upwards to exceed 7000 before the following Easter.

Aug '15
    I have no investments at all at the moment and have just seen that the markets have taken a bit of a tumble and thought - ahhh I bet there is a crash-esque thread on MSE. Lo and behold. Here it is....
    I just have a feeling in my fleece that we will see the 100 index fall into the 5,000s
    Funny I just logged on and saw there was a crash thread and thought to myself ahhh I bet Flock of Sheep is in there trolling it. Lo and behold...
    Comments made over the weekend - next business day after AFOS comment was 24 August when FTSE touched 5900 - but back to 6250 by the end of the week and buyers at that time could have cashed out that 6% profit, or just waited over the following 6 months while the FTSE spent most of its time north of 6000 delivering dividend income.

Sept'15
    Another panicky shares thread! This correction seems to be making the wobblers come out of the woodwork.
    With further heavy losses to come folk are stupid to be buying equities at this time.
    Comment made on 24 Sept '15, a day when the FTSE closed at 5961. By 9 October, only eleven business days after being told it was stupid to buy equities at that time, the FTSE had risen to 6416 (more than 7.5%)

Jan '16
    Here we go. A market is in decimation thread. I knew it wouldn't be long. Totally unnecessary of course because we are all here for the long term so this momentary volatility is quite normal and shouldn't be phasing anyone.

So, it's unnecessary to worry, don't get fazed...
    No one would be investing at the moment unless they enjoy playing with falling knives.
    ...But also don't invest, it's really dangerous!

All hail Troll Queen "A Flock Of Sheep" and buy on Monday for piles of free cash.
  • mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nailed in 1 by Bowlhead99....

Troll destroyer in Chief!!

ps This nonsense is now so predictable it's not even amusing anymore.
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Yes has to be the answer. China operates as it wishes. With no transparency.

As does the bank controlled central politburo running the western world's financial system.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • marathonic
    marathonic Posts: 1,778 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    In hindsight, the Chinese Authorities attempt to limit market volatility by closing the market (which applies to all investors) after a 7% swing may have made matters worse?

This is correct. The Chinese circuit breaker halts the market at 5% for a 15 minute break to allow investors to gather themselves and realise that, potentially, there's actually no reason to panic. It then closes the market completely for the day if it drops to 7% below the previous close.

The US equivalent halts the market for 15 minutes at two levels, 7% and 13%, before halting the market for the day at a 20% decline.

The problem with the Chinese version is that drops of up to 3% on any day could be considered the norm, in particular in a market with higher volatility than the US. However, when the market drops 3%, you get a lot of sales from shareholders selling merely to get out before the first circuit breaker hits. This speeds up the drop to -5%.

Likewise, the 7% drop required to halt trading for the day is too close to the 5% circuit breaker, meaning that additional sellers trying to get out after the 15 minute break, but before an 'expected very quick' forced market closure, cause a close of trading for the day before the traditional value investor can come in to save the day.

In the US version, unless there is a SIGNIFICANT reason for the declines, you'll typically see value investors shoring up the market after the first 15 minute break and before the market ever gets to -13%.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    :rotfl:
    You can always tell when the markets are about to go up and AFOS wants to buy. Because she will either start a doom and gloom thread, or show up to one, and say that the markets are wobbling but nobody should worry or do any fearmongering because investing is long term and you should hold. And then two or three posts later, do a bit of fearmongering and say you should sell or at least make sure you don't buy.

You could make a lot of quick money whenever AFOS makes a doom and gloom comment by immediately placing your online order for a FTSE tracker fund to deal the next day, and then selling a few weeks later.

Oct'14

This comment was made on Thursday 16 Oct '14 ; after a downturn, the FTSE had fallen a little further from 6340 the previous Friday 10th, and closed at 6310 on Friday 17th. It then went up for five weeks straight, delivering a 7% rise to 6750 on Friday 21 Nov. It continued onwards and upwards to exceed 7000 before the following Easter.

Aug '15

Comments made over the weekend - next business day after AFOS comment was 24 August when FTSE touched 5900 - but back to 6250 by the end of the week and buyers at that time could have cashed out that 6% profit, or just waited over the following 6 months while the FTSE spent most of its time north of 6000 delivering dividend income.

Sept'15

Comment made on 24 Sept '15, a day when the FTSE closed at 5961. By 9 October, only eleven business days after being told it was stupid to buy equities at that time, the FTSE had risen to 6416 (more than 7.5%)

Jan '16

So, it's unnecessary to worry, don't get fazed...

...But also don't invest, it's really dangerous!

All hail Troll Queen "A Flock Of Sheep" and buy on Monday for piles of free cash.

And everyone says it's impossible to time the market......
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    And everyone says it's impossible to time the market......

Yes you should all be grateful for all that extra cash you should have made.
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    A_Flock_Of_Sheep Posts: 5,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    edited 9 January 2016 at 8:37PM
    Options
    Dearest Bowlhead,

I am so glad you have the time to go rifling through threads to sing my praises here. I should be honoured. I do hope you are enjoying all the extra cash you have made from seeing this pattern!

Maybe you can share with us what you have purchased on the back of this. I wish you luck with your forthcoming gain.

Love from A Flock Of Sheep xx
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »

Yes - my suggestion here for Monday is Glencore.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Never mind Mystic Sheep's magic stock market manipulation powers - in case you have missed it, the real action has now moved to matching sort codes with calendar dates. You heard it first on MSE. It will take the sheep world by storm.
  • BrockStoker
    Options
    Regarding your comment that an initial extra few % is more important than a slightly higher management fee. I would have to disagree.

A slightly larger annual management fee, because it is applied to your investment every year has a much bigger effect on reducing your investment returns over the years.

But surely the statement "because it's applied every year" also applies if you start off with an extra few percent.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but given the choice of staring off with:

A - 100k & 0.5% AMC
    B - 105k & 1.0% AMC

B looks like the better option to me. Anyone care to do the maths (not my strong point!)?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure