'American Style' Samsung Fridge Freezer (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• DomSez
    DomSez Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, the engineer called today first phoning around 9.15 to say he'd be with me around 10-10.15, and he was. He did a great job in getting it diagnosed quickly and sorted out. I thought he'd have to replace several parts, but he diagnosed it was the defrost heater that had gone (I think this is the thing which sits behind the fan which had become noisy. Looks like a heating element thing anyway).

I mentioned how I'd read 'how to' temp fixes for the problem, but thought better of it as I can't even put up shelves.

Still, as I thought several things would need replacing, it would cost over £200 total, but with the callout (75), defrost heater (30) plus VAT, came to £126.

I'd seen the 'how to' fixes talk about defrosting the ice build-up with a hairdryer, but he requested a kettle full of boiling water and a big towel (to soak up the water as he poured it on), and after taking most of the panels off - leaving in the one with the lights on, as he sort-of yanked the lower panel out - and proceeded to pour it on, even without unplugging anything!

However, he'd pressed some buttons on the front so that everything went off so I don't know if that cut any essential power to that part, whilst leaving the freezer intact.

As he left, the temp had shot up to around 25C as the door had been open, and it went up to 30C by the time I got everything back in (I still have a 'moisture control cover' which I'm not too entirely sure where it goes, but I've put it between the bottom two drawers, as he took it out around that time and it seems to fit)

I had a horrible feeling it'd still be like that when I came home from work, but it was fine and is stable on the usual 3C.

I also asked to keep the part he took out as I want to try and claim the money back from Samsung, as while it's out of warranty (bought in April 2007), this is still a known fault. Anyone had any success with that, please?

Cheers.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • DomSez
    DomSez Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone had any success on claiming back from Samsung when outside the warranty, please?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • steven07968
    steven07968 Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    Really frustrated with the Samsung RS21.

Fair enough, I bought it at the end of 2006, started having problems after 3 years, and from some searching, found this thread and the information of the 5 year warranty. Called Samsung, and they came out and sorted it.

Had what appeared to be the same problem the following year, i.e. became noisy until fridge door opened, wasn't cooling etc... So, Samsung again send someone out to repair it.

May 2013 it happened again, which was a year outside my warranty, Samsung came out again, after I'd mithered them for about 2 weeks, and again repaired the same issue.

It's gone again now, just over a year after the last repair, and I'm reluctant to pay for any repair, as it's clearly an issue with the product.

I've contacted them, and they have refused a free repair, even though it's now an annual repair.

These appliances are just not fit for purpose, they should have been replaced rather than a short term fix applied to them.

Although outside the warranty period, as this is the same recurring issue, and one which many people have and still are experiencing, what is the course of action? As there is no way that any of us should have to pay for this.
  • Random_Access
    Options
    Just a further follow up (see post numbers #415 on this thread) I reported a problem with a noise in my fridge. I won't go into all the details again, however nearly 4 years on and...touch wood... the solution I have listed in my previous posts is still working and my fridge is functioning fine and it only cost me around £35 for the parts. Since this thread has been merged, my other posts seemed to have been deleted explaining exactly how I fixed it...sorry about that, but I followed the instruction given on //reviews.ebay.co.uk/Samsung-RS21-fridge-defrost-repair-problems_W0QQugidZ10000000005678075. Just to end...my RS21 is about 10 years old now and still going strong :)
  • Krikket_Robot
    Options
    Ok, firstly thank you to everyone who has posted in this thread your posts have been very helpful. Our RS21 started playing up a few years ago, after a visit from Samsung engineer following Watchdog programme they fixed it albeit temporarily so about a month ago the old problem returned. Noisy fan & fridge not cool enough. So I knew what the problem was and took the thing apart to defrost it. Got myself a fridge thermometer so I would have advanced warning of impending doom and have been defrosting the darn thing every week now and finally I got fed up and today I contacted Samsung (not with much confidence). After a while on the phone, being on hold and explaining the issue several times I was given a phone number of the 'Samsung Service Centre' and told that if I rang them an engineer would come out at no cost to myself. Surprise surprise I was presented with an answering service so left my contact details.
    If I ever hear anything from them I will post the outcome here...
  • Krikket_Robot
    Options
    Heard from service centre today (not part of Samsung at all as I was told by Samsung but an independent company). Very nice people but was told that the service call out was chargeable not FREE as I was told by Samsung. Tip: If you try the same and get told that it will be free make sure you get a service call number which should start 411 not 211.

The prices quoted weren't astronomical and certainly cheaper than a new fridge freezer, however, far more than the DIY kits I have seen for sale and which have been recommended by others on here so that is my plan.

Called Samsung back but was greeted by complete denial that the fault was a manufacturing error and that after 10 years these may or will break down, great!

So having been lied to about the 'Service Centre' and the FREE service call out I have also bought a fridge freezer for nearly £1,000 that will not last 10 years.

If anyone has fitted the DIY kit I would really appreciate a review of your findings with these as I think if it does the trick for a couple more years then I'd be happy, then fork out on a new fridge freezer but definitely not Samsung!
  • tdiman
    tdiman Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    This is all very depressing.
    We were going to splash out on an american fridge/freezer but on reading this thread we have put it on hold - pity really as it's meltingly hot at the mo.
    We were looking at the Samsung RGS5UCRS but were surprised to see it only came with a 2 year guarantee
    Most of our other kitchen stuff is by bertie bosch, but that too seems to have an inbuilt self destruct mode - about 7 years for the oven, even after several diy repairs to door seal, grill element etc.

It is difficult to find honest recommendations but has anyone got some?
    I have to be honest - I am thinking we might make do with our current Leibher freezer and a larder fridge by the side of it. Who needs an ice maker - a few bags of ice at a £1 a go from Sainsbury's seems to be working
  • Krikket_Robot
    Options
    We have always avoided the ice maker option and water dispenser as these take up a huge amount of space and they are just another thing likely to break down as many Samsung owners on here will appreciate.

We liked the design of the Samsung compared to other models which is why we bought ours and the space afforded was ideal for our growing family, however, we have been very disappointed with the failures.

Our oven is NEFF which has been fantastic over the last 8 years, dishwasher & washing machine both Bosch which have also been very reliable. Think we will replace the american style fridge freezer with one of these top brand names as I just don't trust Samsung now which is a pity. They may have resolved the manufacturing problem now and your new RGS5UCRS may last 10+ years just wish they'd put their hands up and admit the problem with our RS21 so that we can all enjoy the machine we paid for!
  • spytek
    spytek Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    I'm experiencing the same problems (noise, ice build up) as others with my Samsung RSH1NBRS fridge/freezer. Also the fridge display temperature was incorrect saying it was 2 degrees when it was much warmer as food was going off. After unplugging the freezer for 10 minutes, it showed the correct temperature of 12 degrees but hasnt gone down since.

I called up Samsung and they are saying that its out of warranty and the extended goodwill 3 year waranty only applies to fridge/freezers that were made before November 2008. Are they telling fibs or is this the case?

They gave me a service centre number to call and said that I will have to pay to get it repaired. What options do I have? Is there anything I can do to get Samsung to repair it for free?
  • pottermick
    Options
    I have a samsung rse8jpus fridge freezer which caught fire on 16th August, I have rung samsung every day since to find out what they are going to do about this. they sent an engineer out who looked at it then left after 30 minutes. he said samsung would be in touch within 24 hours but no calls ever from samsung. does anyone have any advice or had similar problems please? i am considering going to a solicitors
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback