Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• SHEILA54
    SHEILA54 Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 August 2012 at 7:41PM
    Options
    sweet - you can also make chips from swede. Celeriac tastes like celery so, if you don't like celery then you won't like celeriac. You can also make a dauphinoise using celeriac in place of potato.

Thanks for the recipe murphydog x
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SHEILA54 wrote: »
    sweet - you can also make chips from swede. Celeriac tastes like celery so, if you don't like celery then you won't like celeriac. You can also make a dauphinoise using celeriac in place of potato.

Thanks for the recipe murphydog x

Yep, swede is probably better :D but celeriac doesn't stand a chance of still tasting like celery once I've opened my spice cupboard ;)

It does however make a good soup if you like celery. Finely slice a head of celery and an onion, fry gently until softened, add chopped celeriac and stock and cook until soft. Add seasoning, nutmeg (or oregano) and cream to taste. Have it bulky or pulverised, the choice is yours.

I get mine from Lidl
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • Jerryjerryjerry
    Options
    Hello all. I felll today and ate carbs a lot. So will get back to it tomorrow. Did some good amounts of exercise today. 1 hour of weight training from sky fitness tv. Then took dog for three walks. It was sunny here.

Hoovered the whole house and mopped tiled floors.

Off to bed in a minute, as shattered.
  • Gray_Malkin
    Gray_Malkin Posts: 982 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 August 2012 at 7:52AM
    Options
    daska wrote: »
    Yep, swede is probably better :D but celeriac doesn't stand a chance of still tasting like celery once I've opened my spice cupboard ;)

It does however make a good soup if you like celery. Finely slice a head of celery and an onion, fry gently until softened, add chopped celeriac and stock and cook until soft. Add seasoning, nutmeg (or oregano) and cream to taste. Have it bulky or pulverised, the choice is yours.

I get mine from Lidl

Ooh, that sounds delicious, thank you. I love celeriac. I agree you can spice it up no end too. I get mine from any of the supermarkets or the local greengrocer, although they don't always have them.

I also make chips from swede, white turnip and mooli. All are nice, depending on what you serve them with. If I'm being a bit naughtier carb wise, I make them from butternut squash or, if really naughty, sweet potato.

Forgot to say re exercise - I do some stretches too, and a feeble attempt at ab crunches. Will definitely try to do the reps suggested above murphy. I find the more I do, the more I'm inclined to do. But if I have a few days off, I take some motivating again :o
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all. :o

I'm just going to mumble from the background so I don't put you all off. :D

sweet, were your ears burning last night? I have never in my life had ankle pain but last night was so bad I went to bed with pain killers! I blame you. :rotfl: I've had pain in my feet for some time now and use those 'special' insoles to help lift my arches but I've never experienced sore ankles till now. I sympathise with you.

I'm thinking about trying CBT. I have health problems that I suspect will be the cause of an early death if I don't get the finger out, so why can't I just get on with it and do something about it for any longer than 2 flipping weeks?!

I don't know what's wrong with me, or why I still repeat the same patterns of behaviour even when faced with the most serious of reasons not to. I feel bad for criticising George Best all those years ago when he was still drinking even knowing how ill he was, I'm no better, only my vice is food. :o I don't know how much this kind of thing costs though and our finances aren't in good shape still so not sure if it's do-able or not.

I congratulate all of you who have achieved. Be that weight related or doing something about not smoking any more. You've done (and are doing) very well guys. Can I rub you? For luck I mean......:rotfl:
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • sweetserendipity
    Options
    Hmm, should have realised the clue was in the name regarding celeriac - I don't like celery :o I'm still willing to give it a try though (I'll probably spice it up like daska) & I'm going to a Lidl today so will see if they have it there.

I'm a bit wary of swede as it seems to give me cravings :( I love it, but I think it's just too sweet for me when I'm LCing.

Is turnip sweet tasting?? Never even heard of mooli :o

Meals for today:

B - Bacon, scramblies, mushrooms, baby plum toms
    L - 2 buttered GG crispbreads with cheese savoury, might make some soup??
    D - HM chilli out of freezer, cauli rice, broccoli, cheesy leeks

Hope everyone has a good LC day :wave:
  • sweetserendipity
    sweetserendipity Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    edited 30 August 2012 at 6:20PM
    Options
    Aww alias, painful ankles are horrible, especially when you're walking down stairs - ouch!! :( Don't blame me though!! :p I blame the carbs - wheat has been mentioned as a possible trigger & I wondered about sugar??

I'm LCing & taking cod liver oil tablets again, hopefully that will help.

I thought CBT was available for free via the Drs?? It is here, although the waiting list is loooooong. Definitely worth looking into it, or getting a self-help book from the library or Amazon??

I've set myself a goal of 9 weeks of LCing - that takes me to the next school hols. I'm hoping it focuses the mind.

I absolutely understand about knowing you should be doing something for your health but still finding it difficult, I'm the same :wall:

I wish I had the answer :(

Big loves to you :kisses3:
  • Jerryjerryjerry
    Options
    Aliasogo! You don't need to rub us for luck. Just use us as your support network. We really are in this together!

Just get on with low carbing. Its one of the only diets I know of, where you can eat loads and get slim!

I got up really early this morning. Did 35 mins on exercise bike. Didn't want to do it, but did it anyway. Then I did 20 minutes of weights. Again, did it against my will!

I've tried CBT and it worked for me. But I didn't carry it on. It only worked while i was working with a counsellor. So if you can afford it, or you can get one for free, i'd go for it. I tried it for alcohol and low self esteem, and as you know, I still drink, but not to a damaging extent. I'm building up my self esteem now, by getting rid of things I hate about myself. Weight, and smoking were two. Plenty more !!! hahaha.

The key to CBT for me, was to stop that silly voice that always put myself down. ie..i'd look in the mirror and think, oh you ugly cow and try to replace that thought with a totally different one, ie: Oh, you look a bit tired today, I will go to bed earlier tonight. (more kind).

Instead of looking at my thighs and thinking, urgh.. that's disgusting... which of course, would make me feel down and destructive. I would now replace that thought with mmm.. thighs are looking a bit rounded today, must get on a bike. So its sort of replacing negative thoughts with more positive ones. But as I said, my default setting comes into play most days... and I don't go for the more positive thought. Id need to see a CBT counsellor every week in order to stay on the straight and narrow I think because I don't have a great deal of self motivation.

Have munchies on and have already had:

1 pot of yoghurt
    3 boiled eggs with a dash of mayo

Have taken out a stuffed trout out of freezer, - starving!
  • Minihauk
    Minihauk Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi guys, can I jump back in please? :T
    Had a couple of blips, didn't stray too far but I certainly felt it.
    Been back on track properly for almost a week and feelilng much better for it.
    Great sounding recipes, can't wait to try them.
  • murphydog999
    murphydog999 Posts: 1,598 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I got up really early this morning. Did 35 mins on exercise bike. Didn't want to do it, but did it anyway. Then I did 20 minutes of weights. Again, did it against my will!

Have munchies on.......

Your head must really be in the right place Jerry, this isn't condescending in any way, but this takes fight so good for you :j ; doing exercise when you don't feel like it gives you a real sense of smugness - knowing that you have beaten that little annoying voice inside you that keeps on saying 'can't be arsed, can't be arsed!!'

Sweet, the Wii has got some good exercises, so ok by me :T - there's a routine maker, in case you didn't know.

Another very wet, dark and dismal day; I think the weather affects hunger levels, the cooler and darker it gets , the more I seem to have my head in a cupboard :(

(STILL no news from the bank :mad:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport