Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• shingwell
    Options
    Hi,

Just found this forum - brilliant! At last it is possible to do what they don't want you to do: compare prices!

Anyway I have an out-of-contract Calor tank with a telemetry device on it, which has worked very well up to now. (Although I'd rather Calor didn't let the tank get quite so empty in case there is a snowy spell and the tanker can't get up the lane, but that's never actually happened).

I was wondering: if I switched to one of the smaller independents and they buy the tank off Calor, do they get the telemetry device too? And if so do they have the facility to make use of it?

I've been with Calor for a number of years and although I can't fault the service, always suspected I might be paying a bit over the odds. Letter today confirms it: now 57.25ppl (Herefordshire/Worcestershire border).

Thanks!
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 May 2012 at 1:13AM
    Options
    shingwell wrote: »
    Hi,

Just found this forum - brilliant! At last it is possible to do what they don't want you to do: compare prices!

Anyway I have an out-of-contract Calor tank with a telemetry device on it, which has worked very well up to now. <snip>
    I was wondering: if I switched to one of the smaller independents and they buy the tank off Calor, do they get the telemetry device too? And if so do they have the facility to make use of it?

I've been with Calor for a number of years and although I can't fault the service, always suspected I might be paying a bit over the odds. Letter today confirms it: now 57.25ppl (Herefordshire/Worcestershire border).

Thanks!

Hi shingwell - welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the warm words about the usefulness of this site. Remember you can always send someone a pm (private message) if you don't want to post on the open forum. We know some of the suppliers read this - but we also have some very useful people who work in the industry who post.

I suspect Calor's device only works for Calor - but the best bet would be to ask some of the independents when you phone. If you put your postcode into http://www.uklpg.org you'll get contact info for companies which will supply your address (and then of course there are farmers' co-ops like Mole Valley which bulk buy). You should have quite a few - lucky!

Please post the offers you get (prices and rental charges, and maximum rise too if relevant). And then people should be able to make comments about the companies. Let the suppliers know roughly how many litres you use a year. Independents may be willing to let you have their previous prices too - just as Extra Fuel and Cardiff Gas have done. Then we can plot them against the wholesale price (see here). It would be nice to plot some of the majors' prices too!

Suppliers may prefer to give you a new tank (many companies remove tanks at 20 years for a complete 'refurb') - especially as it is apparently cheaper to buy a new tank (possibly made in Turkey) than pay the inflated rate resulting from the Competition Commission formula.

PS If you found this forum through Google what search terms did you use, please? I wonder if we can be smarter and make it easier to find.
  • Ace_gas_guzzler
    Ace_gas_guzzler Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 May 2012 at 5:20PM
    Options
    The long-awaited figures!

Callow 44p tank rental (inc VAT) £50.40
    Calor 47.4p £64.77
    Carver 42.55p £239.40
    Countrywide 46p £52.52
    Energas 45p £52.52
    Extra Fuel 48.99p £126
    Lister 44p £75
    Mole Valley 46.9p

The above figures are based on an annual usage of 6000 litres and an underground tank of 2000 litres.

Totals for each company per year, including all VAT charges are as follows:

Callow £2823
    Calor £2929 (includes deduction of £250 free
    gas).
    Carver £2919
    Countrywide £2951
    Energas £2888
    Extra Fuel £3065
    Lister £2847
    Mole Valley £2955 plus whatever the tank hire is. No-one could tell me but they are going to call me back with the answer.

Apologies to Little Vermin re the 20% VAT on Carver's tank hire. It was actually 5%, my mistake in thinking it was 20%! Their 5 year contract is aparently legal as it is non-exclusive. i.e. if another supplier is delivering at a lower price than Carver, I'm free to go to another supplier. Carver will, if notified of the cheaper price, endeavour to match the lower price.
    I hope this all makes sense - it's certainly food for thought! Callow's price was frozen to the end of December, Calor's for 9 months, Energas for six months and Lister's to end of October. The other suppliers did not give any guarantee on how long prices would be frozen.
    Any thoughts on the next step would be gratefully received!:)
  • Ace_gas_guzzler
    Ace_gas_guzzler Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 May 2012 at 5:23PM
    Options
    Little Vermin has given me an update on Extra Fuel's price which is now 48.99 per litre. That would change the overall cost for a year to £3065. I would have edited in the previous post but I'm blowed if I can work out how to do it!:o

Ah!!!! Just discovered how to do it - I think I might be becoming computer literate..........
  • crazyz
    crazyz Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    There are still some that you have missed, that offer 6/9 mth fixed & yearly fixed pricing. J gas (mainly very North), BP, Avanti gas
    Premier.

Calor seems high? but they do offer the 150.00/250.00 were others don't but I would prefer a lower price.

The rentals look high on the smaller companies industry standard sits at around £60.00 above/£100.00 below ground, but I suppose that's because they have to purchase the tank of the outgoing supplier and they have to get a return over the 2 years just in case you switch again, so if they can not get in the gas price they will get it in the higher rental.

I would say that as your consumption is way above average for a domestic household I would say you should be looking low 40 ish, so keep trying for the better deal, after all "summer" is around the corner and you don't have to rush into things, it only takes a month to switch

Calor 47.4p £64.77
    Carver 42.55p £239.40
    Countrywide 46p £52.52
    Energas 45p £52.52
    Extra Fuel 48.99p £126
    Lister 44p £75
    Mole Valley 46.9p

The above figures are based on an annual usage of 6000 litres and an underground tank of 2000 litres.

Callow £2823
    gas).
    Carver £2919
    Countrywide £2951
    Energas £2888
    Extra Fuel £3065
    Lister £2847
    Mole Valley £2955 plus whatever the tank hire is. No-one could tell me but they are going to call me back with the answer.

Apologies to Little Vermin re the 20% VAT on Carver's tank hire. It was actually 5%, my mistake in thinking it was 20%! Their 5 year contract is aparently legal as it is non-exclusive. i.e. if another supplier is delivering at a lower price than Carver, I'm free to go to another supplier. Carver will, if notified of the cheaper price, endeavour to match the lower price.
    I hope this all makes sense - it's certainly food for thought! Callow's price was frozen to the end of December, Calor's for 9 months, Energas for six months and Lister's to end of October. The other suppliers did not give any guarantee on how long prices would be frozen.
    Any thoughts on the next step would be gratefully received!:)
  • ironnick
    ironnick Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Just spoken to Mole Valley Farmers. They're currently offering 46.9ppl thru Calor. The lad on the jobs opportunity scheme said he couldn't tell me the price for the tank rental because I wasn't a member, but said it would be of the order £55 - £60. No caps were discussed.
    IN
  • Ace_gas_guzzler
    Options
    Ironnick, you did well! I've had a total of three calls with Mole Valley and I'm still waiting for an answer as to the cost of tank rental! Amazingly, no-one there seems to know! They did take all my details however, apart from age and shoe size - I suspect they'll ask for those when they next phone me......

Many thanks to crazyz for his input. I'll try the suppliers he mentioned and see what they have to offer. I gather that the usual transfer cost of a tank is of the order of £1000, in other words, if you swap, all their profit for the next two years is eaten up before they've even sold you any gas. But then I suppose, if they keep bumping up their prices so you get out after two years, they get most of that money back when the next supplier takes on the tank. There's a certain perverse logic there, so maybe the incentive is to get people to get a new supplier each two years - keeps the money circulating sort of thing......:cool:
  • LittleVermin
    edited 3 May 2012 at 11:34AM
    Options

Calor 47.4p £64.77
    Carver 42.55p £239.40
    Countrywide 46p £52.52
    Energas 45p £52.52
    Extra Fuel 48.99p £126
    Lister 44p £75
    Mole Valley 46.9p

Callow £2823
    gas).
    Carver £2919
    Countrywide £2951
    Energas £2888
    Extra Fuel £3065
    Lister £2847

Carver's .<snip>. Their 5 year contract is aparently legal as it is non-exclusive. i.e. if another supplier is delivering at a lower price than Carver, I'm free to go to another supplier. Carver will, if notified of the cheaper price, endeavour to match the lower price. <snip>

Carver is charging a rental of £239.40 - let's call that £240. If other companies are charging £60 rental then Carver is getting an extra £180 p.a. ..... and if you use 6000l p.a. that's 18000/6000 ppl i.e. 3ppl.

The price they are offering is 42.55ppl - but if we add the extra 3ppl the total cost per litre is 45.55, which is a discount of 4.35 compared to their on-line quoted rate today of 49.90ppl (see here). Of course you need to add around 1ppl to the other companies' prices (if they are charging £60ish rental) to give their total cost per litre (and we'd need to adjust Carver's on-line figure too).

Carver have apparently said their 5 yr contract is legal as it is non-exclusive .... but would another company be prepared to provide a retail customer with LPG at less than 45.55ppl if they realised (as they would!) what Carver were up to? Suppliers sell it among themselves at much less (that's not so surprising if you look at the ANSI chart - and realise that some subcontract deliveries, and most of the majors fill up from each others' depots - well, they do in Devon and Cornwall!).

What guarantee have you got that Carver won't narrow the discount between the price they charge you and their on-line price?

Maybe you need to ask the other independents their view - would they be interested in filling Carver's tank if they could undercut Carver's price? Would Calor be interested?

Personally I would contact OFT (sharon.dias@oft.gsi.gov.uk ) to see if this business model is acceptable after the Competition Commission ruled that the maximum exclusivity period was 24 months (see my recent post here). OFT is currently keen to see that the CC Order is being adhered to, and contracts are more transparent.

BTW I think your notional yearly figures need revising. Calor offers £250 'free gas' - but that has to be split into £125 p.a. ... and we can now add (at least) £60 to Mole Valley's cost:

Callow £2823
    Calor £3054 (includes deduction of £250 free
    gas over 2 yr).
    Carver £2919
    Countrywide £2951
    Energas £2888
    Extra Fuel £3065
    Lister £2847
    Mole Valley £3015, or more

Adding crystal ball technology to these figures I think we can see that the Calor figure will probably go up irrespective of ANSI, I suspect Countrywide will do the same, I fear the moles will build molehills with Calor, but I think I can see the figures for the others going up or down. So that's clear then!

And even after all this effort to get prices, get comments from others .. we are STILL mushrooms. In the dark. What a business!
  • thozza
    thozza Posts: 307 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have been following the LPG price and this thread for the last year, after purchasing a house which eats LPG (6000l+), but have not seen the useful information and graphs on the Bloomberg website mentioned, except as a footnot to the OFT graphs:-

bloomberg.com/quote/LPGIECPP:IND/chart
    bloomberg.com/quote/LPGP1ST:IND/chart

(it won't let me post links so you will have to add www. to the beginning)

Thankfully they show a steep drop from the peak in late February.
  • LittleVermin
    edited 5 May 2012 at 11:17AM
    Options
    thozza wrote: »
    I have been following the LPG price and this thread for the last year, after purchasing a house which eats LPG (6000l+), but have not seen the useful information and graphs on the Bloomberg website mentioned, except as a footnot to the OFT graphs:-

bloomberg.com/quote/LPGIECPP:IND/chart
    bloomberg.com/quote/LPGP1ST:IND/chart

(it won't let me post links so you will have to add www. to the beginning)

Thankfully they show a steep drop from the peak in late February.

Fantastic! Welcome to the forum, thozza.

Here are the links:

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/LPGIECPP%3aIND/chart

and:

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/LPGP1ST%3aIND/chart

You can alter the time frame from one day to 5 years - and also have YTD (year to date). The prices are in US dollars (the plots shown on the forum have had the ANSI prices converted to pence per litre e.g. here)

What a resource! LPG users can now refer their supplier to this publicly available resource when they are told of a price rise (or NOT told of when the price should be falling!). Suppliers could always pooh-pooh the plots on the forum - questioning where the data came from, the conversion factors used, etc, etc.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback