Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have a 4 bed semi in rural Hampshire and get through about 3500 to 4000 litres a year. This is only for the central heating, but I do have an ageing Baxi Bermuda (28 years old, but never gone wrong!) which is only 65% efficient.

Hope that helps.
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 January 2012 at 6:08PM
    Options
    markmorgan wrote: »
    I've recently moved into a house with a LPG gas tank and I really wish I'd read all of this thread first! I signed up with FloGas and am being charged 46ppl exc VAT at the moment.

My main question is does anyone know where I can find average usage stats. At my old house I was on mains gas and my monthly - yearly averaged - direct debit was around £30pm for central heating and a cooker. Just had my third top-up from FloGas - the first fill-up obviously being an anomally as the previous owner had run the tank down - and I appear to be burning through 13 litres of gas per day for the last couple of months! That's nigh on £190 per month! That can't be normal surely? Especially as this is a mild winter so far. We only have gas central heating and there is no gas fire or gas cooker.

By the way, I live in a three bed bungalow in Worcestershire. The tank is above ground and has a FloGas label which is clearly stuck over one from a previous supplier.

Welcome to the forum!

46ppl is not bad - see my recent post about 'transparent' prices. (I assume the tank rental is around £60-70 p.a.).

Average use? Piece of string? DAVID.T - who works in the industry - posted that the average of his domestic customers was 2,500 litres per year. But people have posted that they use around 5,000l p.a. - which is more than you'll use (assuming you use less heating in the 'summer'), others use less than 1,000l. What's the insulation of your 3-bed bungalow like? BTW cooking uses almost no gas compared to heating, as I expect you know.

Comparative costs for energy from Notts Energy here.
  • The_Hornet
    Options
    <snip>..... I appear to be burning through 13 litres of gas per day for the last couple of months! That's nigh on £190 per month! That can't be normal surely? Especially as this is a mild winter so far. We only have gas central heating and there is no gas fire or gas cooker.
    I've just looked at my usage last year for a 4 bed dormer bungalow. During the extremely cold 3 months of winter I used approx 18litres a day compared to the 6 months of the rest of the summer/autumn about 3 litres a day. That's gas CH plus gas hob for cooking.

Overall this works out at just under 9 litres a day. Also worth bearing in mind, we have an elderly relative living with us so keep the heating turned up in part of the house.
  • DAVID.T_3
    DAVID.T_3 Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    I've recently moved into a house with a LPG gas tank and I really wish I'd read all of this thread first! I signed up with FloGas and am being charged 46ppl exc VAT at the moment.

My main question is does anyone know where I can find average usage stats. At my old house I was on mains gas and my monthly - yearly averaged - direct debit was around £30pm for central heating and a cooker. Just had my third top-up from FloGas - the first fill-up obviously being an anomally as the previous owner had run the tank down - and I appear to be burning through 13 litres of gas per day for the last couple of months! That's nigh on £190 per month! That can't be normal surely? Especially as this is a mild winter so far. We only have gas central heating and there is no gas fire or gas cooker.

By the way, I live in a three bed bungalow in Worcestershire. The tank is above ground and has a FloGas label which is clearly stuck over one from a previous supplier.

It does seem quite high but remember you will use next to nothing in the summer, two things that make a difference would be boiler age and type and insulation. As already stated the usage with our customers average 2500ltr year £110-£130 month (every month)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Can I add my thoughts...

Hob use use is barely noticable on my bulk tank. The needle has moved about 2% in a year as thats all its used for now...

When we still had our LPG boiler I recon DHW alone was not far off £100pm.

When heating over winter £££ :eek: so LPG had to be binned as its just way to expensive if you want a comfortable house.

Perhaps in a small modern house the cost is bearable but not in a large older property.
  • Arsie
    Options
    Flogas: 62.5p per litre and 21.9p a day standing charge! Needless to say I wont be with them when my 2 year contract ends in July!!
  • bernithebiker
    Options
    jeepjunkie wrote: »
    Can I add my thoughts...

Hob use use is barely noticable on my bulk tank. The needle has moved about 2% in a year as thats all its used for now...

When we still had our LPG boiler I recon DHW alone was not far off £100pm.

When heating over winter £££ :eek: so LPG had to be binned as its just way to expensive if you want a comfortable house.

Perhaps in a small modern house the cost is bearable but not in a large older property.

Quite right. Just installing an electric immersion for the hot water, cut our LPG consumption significantly.

As a cheap, short term savings measure, we've added a cheap 5kW air/air heat pump to this house, which saves about another 30 to 40% of LPG consumption.
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 January 2012 at 12:15PM
    Options
    <snip> Just installing an electric immersion for the hot water, cut our LPG consumption significantly.
    <snip>

But in the UK replacing LPG by full price electricity for an immersion heater will probably increase your fuel bill.... depending on electricity tariff, boiler efficiency and the price of your LPG. Probably different in France with your cheaper electricity!

But I note your post (here) about the economics of buying a cheap ASHP which needs only to last a couple of years to pay for itself.
  • bernithebiker
    Options
    But in the UK replacing LPG by full price electricity for an immersion heater will probably increase your fuel bill.... depending on electricity tariff, boiler efficiency and the price of your LPG. Probably different in France with your cheaper electricity!

But I note your post (here) about the economics of buying a cheap ASHP which needs only to last a couple of years to pay for itself.

I don't think the prices are so different. That house has a tarif of about 11 ct/kwH, about 9p. And LPG we pay about £1400/tonne I think.

And also, part of the saving comes from the fact that the immersion tank is 100% efficient, whereas the boiler 80 to high 90's % efficient, WHEN UP TO TEMPERATURE. (Most of the initial heat put into the heat exchanger is lost on cool down.)

Then the insulation of the tank is much more effective than that of the boiler too.

Well, that's what I reckon anyway, and the savings are for real!
  • TheGoodKing
    Options
    Just spoke to calor about needing a new contract saying that I'd been offered a lower price elsewhere - 49.75ppl (original offer was 56.95) they said they would match it, so it is worth haggling.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback