PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Tea loaf recipe please!

Options

Comments

• Ginger_Snap
    Options
    If its the one I think you mean it was posted by Sparrer on yesterday's 5 OS pleasures in your day thread. (on this board)
  • tartantotty
    Options
    If its the one I think you mean it was posted by Sparrer on yesterday's 5 OS pleasures in your day thread. (on this board)
    Thats the very one!! Thank you - it was about the only thread I didnt look at!!

I am off to get some dried fruit, and then make it!

Thanks!:beer:
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi tartantotty,

As you have found the recipe I've added your thread to the main tea loaf thread to keep the replies together.

Pink
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 17 December 2010 at 6:32PM
    Options
    I've been making grumswifie's recipe for a few weeks now and it really is good, much appreciated by all who've tried it. The only prob I'm having is a tough crust all round, I wonder if it would make a difference to use a lower temp and longer cooking, lining the loaf tin with cardboard, or are there any other suggestions anyone can come up with, please?
    Tia, S

eta I'm baking it at 150c for 1 hour in the middle of a fan oven
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hmm , i.m guessing here, but brushing with milk may give a softer crust - it does with "normal" bread. Might be worth a try but i'm definitely not sure :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks zippychick, but this is more of a cake mixture than a dough, so am going to spend the afternoon experimenting various techniques. I'm expecting to have a kitchen full of tea loaves of varying textures and 'crusts' by this evening :D
  • Margaret52129
    Margaret52129 Posts: 262 Forumite
    edited 2 May 2011 at 9:45PM
    Options
    Hi, I hope you guys can help me out here. I read a post some time ago and someone gave a tea bread recipe. I copied it out and now can't find it!

I know you soaked a cup of currants in a cup of tea and then you added 2 cups of flour (p or sr?) and 1 cup of sugar, but is there anything else to add - fat or eggs?

I've soaked my currants in the tea whilst searching for the recipe but time is running out and I can't find it! I would really appreciate any ones help in this.

Many, many thanks.
    MargaretXX

PS I also need cooking times and oven temperature! Thanks
  • grumswifie
    grumswifie Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

1 cup of tea
    1 cup currants
    1 cup caster sugar
    2 cups of self raising flour

Soak currants in tea then add sugar and flour. Mix well and scoop into a 2lb loaf tin and bake for 55 mins to an hour at 180.

Serve in thick slices slatherd in butter, yum yum

Enjoy
    Sealed pot challenge member no 1057
    No toiletries in 2011, well shampoo, toothpaste or deodurant!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Margaret,

Is the recipe in this thread?

Tea loaf recipe please!

I'll add your post to that one later to keep the recipes together.

Pink
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm eating some now! Though the recipe I used had an egg in, but they don't usually and I won't bother next time. Used Earl Grey tea which was nice. I cooked at a lower temperature though, more like 150 in my fan oven. Also don't make the mistake I did last time with the size of loaf tin, mine must be 1lb tins cos it filled it right up so I had to split the mix over two!
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport