Debt Relief Orders (DRO) - Information & help thread

Options

Comments

• cupcake83
    cupcake83 Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    OHs DRO through :j

so happy to finally tell the creditors where to go. Will do some letters this weekend.

So glad for you, I would wait to do some letters as the IS will contact the creditors, I was told that if they didn't stop calling after 2 weeks to contact the IS and let them know. If they keep hassling you, you could then write the letters.

Good luck to you and OH and lets hope the 12 months go fast.
  • cupcake83
    cupcake83 Posts: 92 Forumite
    edited 26 March 2010 at 5:49PM
    Options
    kate252 wrote: »
    Can a creditor contest a det relief order?

A creditor has 30 days in which to object against the DRO, reasons for this could be that they believe you have assets over the £300 allowed, you have more than £50 surplus per month, you have recently taken credit out with them knowing you couldn't pay it back etc.

They would need evidence and then the IS would decide whether to investigate the matter.

The intermediary who is helping/helped you may be able to offer more guidance.
  • uptomyeyes1984
    Options
    Hi, were looking in to a DRO, this seems a much better soultion than BR. just a quick question tho. Your assets what do they class these as i know it says cars property antiques. do they include household goods in this? live TV's computers, Hi-FI's?
    thank you in advance
    :male: 2 Beautiful Boys :male:
    :beer: Not uptomyeyes anymore thanx MSE & friends for all your help:beer:
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, were looking in to a DRO, this seems a much better soultion than BR. just a quick question tho. Your assets what do they class these as i know it says cars property antiques. do they include household goods in this? live TV's computers, Hi-FI's?
    thank you in advance

Hi,
    It is any item that you could sell today for £300 or more that is not an item required for your basic domestic needs.Basic or reasonable domestic needs is a cloudy issue more in DRO's than BR. If you have ,say, recently bought a laptop from a catalogue company for £800 the issue may be there, and whilst no one comes to have a look the company could object, seems not to have happened in practice based on the feedback we have been given.

Cars of course can be worth up to £1000 or entirely exempt if adapted for disabled use .

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    baby_miece wrote: »
    Hi can someone please help me!! I am trying to find out how much my car is worth, I have put in details on several sites and they come back saying my car is worth between 600-1400 - well how do I know what the OR or DRO people use to work out it's value? I owe my Dad a lot of money which he desperately needs back now (he has helped me pay my half of the rent for some time now) and I was thinking of selling my car to my partner as I don't use it anymore and he does so it is technically his car at the moment anyway but in my name.....would this be seen as 'cheating the system' in their eyes. I am really not as he would pay me the right amount for it but I would use the money to my Dad and BIL back the money I have borrowed.....?!?

please help I think this is the only option for me but I do not want to sell the car and be accused of anything, so if I have to wait to sell it so as not to look that way then I will - can anyone shed some light please?

Also I was previously told on here that my NHS Bursary won't affect me (after all considered as monthly income) but would a student loan? Is that getting credit ver £50 or is it treated as something totally different?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Hi, the intermediary values your car using the online parkers guide. We only use the free version so if a vehicle is too old (currently pre "V" reg) then we take the applicants valuation. Otherwise, there are two valuations "poor" and "good" and we take your opinion of which category your vehicle fits in to.

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • stephy110288
    Options
    just want to repeat a question above as no one has been able to answer...
    my main income in student loans... cccs wouldnt count this as income when i wanted a dmp with them, and just kept pushing me for bankruptcy (i have the pension problem with dro, but fingers crossed thats going to change soon)
    so does my student loan count as my income?
    thanks in advance
  • elfieb
    elfieb Posts: 530 Forumite
    Options
    just want to repeat a question above as no one has been able to answer...
    my main income in student loans... cccs wouldnt count this as income when i wanted a dmp with them, and just kept pushing me for bankruptcy (i have the pension problem with dro, but fingers crossed thats going to change soon)
    so does my student loan count as my income?
    thanks in advance

As I understand, it will count as income, so you need to split it across 12 months to see what surplus you have each month.
    I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
    Mae West
  • Stardust
    Stardust Posts: 294 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    elfieb wrote: »
    As I understand, it will count as income, so you need to split it across 12 months to see what surplus you have each month.

This is right as its whats happening with mine :)
  • SouthCoast
    SouthCoast Posts: 1,985 Forumite
    Options
    pugsley29 wrote: »
    Wish they would hurry up and decide on the pension issue, student loans are ringing me nearly everyday chasing an overpayment and I cannot offer them anything as it would invalidate any possible future DRO showing favour to student loans etc

The consultation for pension changes is open until 23rd June.

My ETA for any changes is April 2011.
  • baby_miece
    Options
    Hi, the intermediary values your car using the online parkers guide. We only use the free version so if a vehicle is too old (currently pre "V" reg) then we take the applicants valuation. Otherwise, there are two valuations "poor" and "good" and we take your opinion of which category your vehicle fits in to.

DD

So could you possibly tell me how my car would be valued and what at? This is the only thing holding me back from applying.....I have an S reg Vauxhall Astra it has done about 45000 miles but has knocks and tears inside and out from elderly owners!!

Also do you happen to know if applying for a DRO affects immigration to say
    OZ or NZ?

Thank you very much
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family