PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Judellie
    Judellie Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    Went to mrT this evening - big mistake -totally blown the budget speechless-smiley-040.gif.
    In my defence I did get 4 punnets of strawberries for 20p each, punnet of organic blackberries for 20p, 3 peaches for 16p, onion houmous 10p, and fresh chicken gravy 17p.
    The strawberries are open freezing now, and the gravy has been divided into 3 portions and in also in the freezer.
    Also stocked up on half price things; 4 bags of frozen chips, 4 packets fish fingers and 9 canisters of OH deoderant.
    Along with the 3 loaves of bread and 2 dozen belgian fingers I made today that are also in the freezer, I now wish to declare my freezer officially FULL laughing-smiley-014.gif

Jude xx
    GC June: £350/405.56
    GC July: £350 spent
    [STRIKE]£22[/STRIKE]99.51
  • mhe
    mhe Posts: 418 Forumite
    Options
    Im declaring an overbudget month - £274.10 when my aim was £200. I have no defence other than work has been manic and i have not had time to post on here and read all your great ideas. I have decided that for July i am going to take out £200 from the bank and caryy it in my purse so that when I go shopping i can only use that and not my account card.

Im going to keep £200 as my July budget and stick to it this month - im going to my local farm shop for fruit and veg and staying clesr of the supermarket for a bit!!!
    "With no money you start to discover your own inner resource" GK Chesterton
    2 adults, 3 children
  • hamish222
    hamish222 Posts: 716 Forumite
    Options
    Well have overspent, not sure of exact figures as was not really counting last week but do have full freezer and at least months supply of kitten for by 2 kittys. Lost my way and had few takeaways. Starting fresh from July, going for 200 again.
    Yearly Grocery Budget - £100.77/ £3500. January Treats Budget - £11.80 / £100.
  • Flylady_Flower
    Flylady_Flower Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all,
    AngelNikki, I am declaring at £266.03 - £6.03 over budget, but still less than last month and still MUCH less than £350-400 we used to spend :eek: so not too upset. Oh well, another month, here we go again......:D

OH, AND BY THE WAY, I FINISH WORK TODAY!!!!!:j :j :j (Not really excited :D )
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    was gonna wish you luck for your last day, denise, but it doesn't sound like you'll need it :D so good luck in your new job with your friend. hopefully it'll be a lot less stressful for you xx
  • savingfortravel
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    Hope your last day goes well Denise.
    Sending my thoughts to Mrs Mc.
    Congrats to all those who've done well this month and for those who've gone over, remember what you used to spend.
    Have a good day everyone!!!
    SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • perrywinkle
    perrywinkle Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    KAAT_LADY wrote: »
    Afternoon folks',

I said I did not need anything today :o but we went to MrS to get fuel for the car and while we were there OH said he needed his magazine :rolleyes: so in we went, i got some coffee grounds for the garden (free) :j and then we walked around but I kept telling him ,we did not need anything, we tried the vegetable rolls that they had to try ;) and then he saw bananas priced down so he had to get some, now I need a recipe for something with bananas and pineapple in so the fruit does not go to waste, :D I thought of a cake but dont know how to go about it I need a recipe and instructions. :T Does anyone know any good recipes for cake or bread or something, pleeeeez.:confused:
    I was quite pleased with myself that I did not buy anything else, the pineapple he bought a few days ago and it is nearly gone off.

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!

denisefowler the colosan sounds draining :rotfl: :rotfl:

Hi Kaat Lady,

I have posted this before - so apologies if you have already seen this but it is a lovely cake and also freezes really well - with or without the topping
    Banana and lemon drizzle cake

175g soft butter (& some for tin)
    175g caster sugar
    3 eggs
    300g SR flour
    2 level tsp baking powder
    2 ripe bananas, mashed
    grated zest of ½ lemon
    2 tbsp milk

topping:
    juice of 1 lemon
    100g granulated sugar

Line base of 20cm deep cake tin, butter sides.
    Mix together cake ingredients until smooth and pour into lined tin.
    Bake in oven preheated to 180oC/160oC fan/ gas 5 for about 45-50 mins.
    Leave to cool a little then remove from tin.
    Make topping by mixing ingredients in a bowl.
    Pour over the warm cake and spread to the edges.

Freezes well iced or un-iced – I normally make 2 – one for now and one for the freezer.

HTH
    Perrywinkle
  • perrywinkle
    perrywinkle Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    KAAT_LADY wrote: »
    Afternoon folks',

I said I did not need anything today :o but we went to MrS to get fuel for the car and while we were there OH said he needed his magazine :rolleyes: so in we went, i got some coffee grounds for the garden (free) :j and then we walked around but I kept telling him ,we did not need anything, we tried the vegetable rolls that they had to try ;) and then he saw bananas priced down so he had to get some, now I need a recipe for something with bananas and pineapple in so the fruit does not go to waste, :D I thought of a cake but dont know how to go about it I need a recipe and instructions. :T Does anyone know any good recipes for cake or bread or something, pleeeeez.:confused:
    I was quite pleased with myself that I did not buy anything else, the pineapple he bought a few days ago and it is nearly gone off.

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!

denisefowler the colosan sounds draining :rotfl: :rotfl:

Hi Kaat Lady,

This is another winner and would use up the pineapple and bananas.

American-style pineapple & banana pancakes

100g/4oz fresh or drained canned pineapple
    1 banana, sliced
    100g self-raising flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp cinnamon
    3 tbsp light muscovado sugar
    1 egg
    100ml milk
    sunflower oil , for frying
    Greek yogurt and maple syrup, to serve

Roughly chop the pineapple and slice the banana. Tip the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and sugar into a bowl and mix well.
    Make a well into the centre and crack in the egg, then gradually mix the egg into the flour, adding the milk gradually to make a soft batter.
    Stir in the pineapple and banana. Heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan, add the batter in heaped tablespoonsful, well apart to allow them to spread. When bubbles appear on the surface, flip the pancakes over and cook until light golden.
    Cook all the pancakes and keep them warm. Serve 2-3 pancakes with a spoonful of yogurt and a little maple syrup poured over

HTH
    Perrywinkle
  • helliecopter_2
    Options
    Hi everyone

Life over the last few weeks have been manic. The children and I have all had chicken pox and it's NOT nice in adults! Our shopping budget has been blown out the window and we've fallen off the ms wagon. The great news is that DH has been paid on the 25th so it's a whole new month. Mrs M can you please put me down for €350 this month. After trying a couple of challenges and doing ok I've decided a different approach. I've split my budget into 4 weeks and will only withdraw €87-50 each week (runs wed to wed) to see if that makes a difference. I'm also including all housey products so it's going to be tighter than before!

I've already spent : €12-34 on shampoo/cond and milk etc
    €7-00 on 3kgs of fresh straws - have frozen for smoothies
    €3-93 other fruit from market
    €7-19 cooked meat, bread and veg

This leaves me a grand total of €57-04 until wednesday which is plenty to get my washpowder & fabric cond and other everyday essentials. I've got loads in my freezer and all my cupboards are stocked well enough to cover the world ending. Sorry for waffling, but it helps motivate me, if I share my 'master plan.' I'm going to do a meal plan and dust off my bread maker. I've a load of fancy bread flour to use up and I need the space in the cupboard.

Good Luck for July GC!
    LMB 01/03/08£9001.61 £10/6 6089.70 - 32%paid off!
    Grocery Challenge 25/6 to 24/7 €350 week1 €30-46 / €87-50

• wannatravelmore
    Options
    £104.79. :beer: Am loving ALDI!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business