🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

£319.99 Acer Laptop from Comet, same as Tescos

Options

Comments

• slowen
    slowen Posts: 2,795 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ordered my laptop but chose the "money saving" delivery option of getting it delivered for free rather than paying £17 to get it delivered within 5 days and at least I save the extra money for waiting an extra couple of days so the money will go towards buy RAM upgrade
  • Wombat
    Wombat Posts: 957 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    slowen wrote:
    Ordered my laptop but chose the "money saving" delivery option of getting it delivered for free rather than paying £17 to get it delivered within 5 days and at least I save the extra money for waiting an extra couple of days so the money will go towards buy RAM upgrade

Me too, but my extra stick of RAM arrived in less than 24 hours from Crucial. So I now have a RAM module sitting on the shelf waiting........and waiting.....

:whistle:
  • slowen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wombat wrote:
    Me too, but my extra stick of RAM arrived in less than 24 hours from Crucial. So I now have a RAM module sitting on the shelf waiting........and waiting.....

:whistle:

How much RAM did you buy and how much?:T

I also went through Quidco and got £12 cashabck, I know it's not much but every little helps :rotfl:
  • curtlyb
    curtlyb Posts: 676 Forumite
    Options
    Battery life = 2 hours :(
  • slowen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    curtlyb wrote:
    Battery life = 2 hours :(

Dont know what laptops have the best battery life but most of the ones I have been looking at last between 2 and 3 hours and even though thid laptop only has a 2 hour battery I am sure I will be able to get to a mains connection to charge it up
  • curtlyb
    curtlyb Posts: 676 Forumite
    Options
    slowen wrote:
    Dont know what laptops have the best battery life but most of the ones I have been looking at last between 2 and 3 hours and even though thid laptop only has a 2 hour battery I am sure I will be able to get to a mains connection to charge it up

To be honest, 2hrs is pretty poor, i'll have anyone a bet that you don't get much more than 1 1/2hrs if you're surfing using wifi and everyone knows that a well used laptop battery will start to lose about a 1/3 of its life after 8-12 months. Buy a spare battery now !

With the ultra-low power consumption of certain processors these days there is no need for poor battery life, having to use a power supply certainly defeats most of my reasons for buying a laptop !

That said, it does seem an excellent buy for the price, i'd just be looking at how i'd be using it whilst bearing in mind the battery life, it seems ideal for a portable pc for the home, i wouldn't like to lump it and the power adaptor around the streets for very long.
    I've advised my sister to get one for her uni course as it fits her useage;)
  • Wombat
    Wombat Posts: 957 Forumite
    Options
    slowen wrote:
    How much RAM did you buy and how much?:T

I also went through Quidco and got £12 cashabck, I know it's not much but every little helps :rotfl:

Yes, I remembered the cashback sites AFTER submitting my order!! Oh well.

I only want to use the laptop for general surfing and website development, so no great demands on RAM for me. For that reason I just went for an extra 256MB. It was £26 + some pence including VAT and delivery. Part no. CT477992. http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/MPartspecs.Asp?mtbpoid=C12A3778A5CA7304&WSMD=TravelMate+2410&WSPN=CT477992
  • tjfs
    tjfs Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone know of a Tesco that still has the £299 model in stock?
  • cafenervosa_2
    Options
    tjfs wrote:
    Anyone know of a Tesco that still has the £299 model in stock?

I've just heard tonight that Comet are selling these laptops in store for £299, very limited though. The store I know got some in stock today is Middlebrook, Bolton, next to BWFC.
  • TERMIN8TOR
    TERMIN8TOR Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All

Slightly off topic.. Can anyone advise if this ACER laptop is good value if I can get it for £375? http://www.staples.co.uk/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=,&webid=S383733&affixedcode=WW

ALSO how would these compare to similar priced Dell Notebooks?

Thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family