PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Black Saturn's evening meal planner

Comments

• The mousse seperated and there was a sort of weird bit in it - I tried it a couple of times, I don't eat curry but Mr HQ wasn't keen - that may say more about him than BS's recipe though!!
    I'm looking forward to giving the mince and dumplings a go, now its back to our usual summer weather!
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    I'm doing the mince and dumplings for tonight.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • Heth_2
    Heth_2 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Hi all

I see a number of the recipes on this page require the use of a slow cooker. At present, I don't have access to one of these devices -- just the standard fayre of oven, hob and (ugh) microwave. Having had a poke around John Lewis and Argos websites, the cheapest device I have been able to find is a Cookworks unit:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4207490.htm

Cooking is for two people, three if either of us has someone over, and is always attended. Will this "el cheapo" device fit the bill?

(I look forward to trying these recipes -- many thanks for posting them all!)

If you always attend to your cooking then you really don't need a slow cooker to do things like these recipes, so I wouldn't buy one just for this reason. We don't have a slow cooker and manage perfectly well, if we want to do a casserole we'll just do it in the oven in a casserole dish. Obviously this means I need to be in the house at the time, but that is fine for me because we don't eat stuff like this in the week. Things like curry you can easily make in a pan on the hob anyway.
  • zombiecazz
    zombiecazz Posts: 535 Forumite
    Any chance o cheesy bubble and sqeak and the others you havent divulged?? :D

Sorry for the delay: been away fro a couple of days.

Cheesy Bubble and Sqeak

3 Cups of mashed potatoes
    8oz of cooked chopped cabbage or Kale (sometimes I add spinach aswell)
    1 beaten egg
    4 oz grated cheddar
    Seasoning
    a pinch of grated nutmeg (brings out the flavour of the cabbage)

Mix all the ingredient together.
    Divide and shape into 8 patties
    Toss the patties in a little flour then shallow fry in a little oil for approx 3 minutes each side until golden.

Spicy Bean Burgers
    This is a recipe that I've adapted so that my veggie son could make it in Home Economics. Went down a treat and school are thinking about incorporating it in their HE classes for their veggie students.:D

Ingredients
    1/2 onion
    1/2 carrot
    1/2 sticky Celery (optional - Great Flavour)
    100g (2 oz) breadcrumbs
    1 tin of kidney beans
    1/2 tsp chilli powder or 2 chopped chillies
    Salt and pepper
    Mixed herbs
    1 tbsp flour
    Vegetable oil for frying

Instructions
    1) Put 50g (1 oz) (half) of the breadcrumbs in a large mixing bowl.
    2) add the onions and carrot to the breadcrumbs in the mixing bowl.
    3) Rinse the kidney beans thoroughly and drain. Mash them roughly with a fork and stir into the carrot mixture with the chilli powder, salt and pepper.
    4) Put the remaining 50g (1 oz) of breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl with the flour, herbs, salt and pepper.
    5) Shape the bean mixture into 6 burgers. Thoroughly coat each burger in the flour and breadcrumb mixture.
    6) Heat 3tbs oil in a frying pan, and carefully add 3 burgers. Fry each side for about 5 minutes until golden brown.

Has anybody had a go at my veggie recipes yet?
    "A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." Mark Twain
  • Hi all

I see a number of the recipes on this page require the use of a slow cooker. At present, I don't have access to one of these devices -- just the standard fayre of oven, hob and (ugh) microwave. Having had a poke around John Lewis and Argos websites, the cheapest device I have been able to find is a Cookworks unit:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4207490.htm

Cooking is for two people, three if either of us has someone over, and is always attended. Will this "el cheapo" device fit the bill?

(I look forward to trying these recipes -- many thanks for posting them all!)
    I have got this particular slowcooker and I love it!!! Can make loads in it!! Have made 6+ portions of chilli or bolognaise in it before now....................... Like Heth said don't get one unless you really need it. Mine is a godsend because I work full time and have a part time job and study! Stuff can be made overnight or during the day while I'm at work and then in the little time I am at home I can have a nice homecooked meal instead of a takeaway. Sorry, rambling a bit here but you get the gist!!! :p
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
  • zombiecazz
    zombiecazz Posts: 535 Forumite
    Mushroom Pilaf
    INGREDIENTS:
    2 tablespoons Olive Oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 cup of sliced mushrooms
    juice and rind of a lemon
    1 cup brown rice
    1tbsp curry powder or 1 heaped tbsp curry paste
    Frozen spinach
    2 1/2 cups seasoned Vegetable broth
    1 can of drained chickpeas
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    dash cinnamon

PREPARATION:
    Sauté onion & curry powder in oil until golden.
    Add rice and mushrooms and sauté until onions begin to brown.
    Add Vegetable broth, lemon rind, juice, chickpeas and spinach and bring to a boil. Transfer to a covered baking dish. Add seasonings; cover and bake at 350, 180, Gas 4 or Moderate for 1 hour

This dish can be quite lemony. If not to your taste miss out the lemon or add less of the juice.
    This dish can also be a cheap meat dish, by throwing in a chopped smoked sausage before baking.

I often serve this with a dollop of HM Salsa made by finely chopping onion, tomatoes and celery with a little lemon juice and seasoning. I like the mixture of the hot mushroom pilaf and the cold salsa.
    "A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." Mark Twain
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    zombiecazz wrote:
    Sorry for the delay: been away fro a couple of days.

Has anybody had a go at my veggie recipes yet?

Not yet,still emptying my freezer slowly, but keep posting! New shopping month soon...
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Have just eaten two ice lollies a la chocolate mousse recipe. They were rich and filling and now I feel sick but that's me being a greedy guts. One would have been fine.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Please please please help me.

i really want to make the ice cream. so off i trotted to supermarket yesterday to get the sterilsised cream/milk stuff. i picked up 4 cans of the nestle extra thick one,( the one that is shown in the pic in B/S thread. ) but on the can it said DO NOT FREEZE. AHHHHHHH i thought. so i read every single tin and couldn't find another type of sterlized cream.

what do i do now ? or can it be frozen ?
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Did you actually buy it? If so, I'd say give it a go and see what happens.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure