PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Slow Cooker - The Recipe Collection

Options

Comments

• toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Black Morphy Richards 3.5 lt Slow Cooker reduced in local SuperDrug to £13.75.
    :j
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I would add enough liquid to cover the lot, no more as it wont evaporate.

Great slow cooking website here

Last night was the first time I used my slow cooker (talk about a slow cooker revolution going on here lol). I had bought some lamb shanks, something I have never bought before and decided to put them in the slow cooker. Added two tins tomatoes, celery, onions, carrots cut into strips, garlic, some lamb stock made from a stock cube, lentils and mixed herbs. When we came home at tea time, the smell was gorgeous and the meal itself was one of the best I have made. The lamb just fell off the bone and as there was quite a lot of liquid I used some of it to mash the potatoes with.

Today I put the leftovers in the food processor and made soup for lunchtime. My family were well impressed and it was so easy.

Let us know how you get on :)
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Callyanna
    Callyanna Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    ;D

Thanks for your help Ssaver and Tiff.
    In the end I just adapted a recipe from a Sue Kreitsman cookery book ( she's the alledgedly "queen of low fat cookery"!)

Blended a herby tin of chopped tomatoes, a chopped onion, a slug of balsamic vinegar as I didn't have any red wine going spare, a teaspoon each of cumin seeds and mixed spice and the rind and juice of a tangerine (no lemon ! see how flexible I am? lol)
    Crumbled in a stock cube, heated in microwave and poured over seasoned meat.
    It's cooking now as I write and the smell is absolutely gorgeous!! Can't wait to get my teeth into it tomorrow!
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I only ever use an inch of water in base of my slowcooker,
    cooked a lamb joint yesterdat
    but with lamb I tend to do veg seperately as the liquid gets very fatty,
    before bed last night i put bones back in with 2 pints water and end of leek/carrot/onion left it on low and had a pot of stock this morning ;D
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    three great success stories with my slowcooker recently:

prawn rogan josh

thai style red curry with prawns

chicken and bean fajita

I cheated and used ready made pataks paste for the rogan josh and then added coconut milk to the left over for the thai style curry

but with both those it was a bag of previously frozen prawns, a chopped onion and the paste with two tins of tomatoes cooked on low for as long as I could be bothered to wait.

the fajita stuff is smelling delicious and is a jar of old elpaso fajita sauce with a tin of canellini beans and a pound of minced chicken breast which i had dry fried first.

I let the fajita sauce cook in the slo cooker on high for a while with the lid off but now that I have added the beans and chicken I have put the lid on and turned it down to low.
    Blah
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Vanvoodoo

It sounds great and I can almost smell the cooking. ;D
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • tiff
    Options
    aussielle wrote:
    This is one of our favs

mushrooms

pork steak

red and green peppers cut into strips

red wine

paprika

worcester sauce

tin chopped tomatoes

Just throw it all in.....ready when you are *;D

Can anyone think of an alternative to Paprika that would work, as I dont have any in :(
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry this reply is a bit late but if it was me I would use garlic or curry or chillie powder - anything I had in - it should still be nice.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • tiff
    Options
    Thanks Elona, I wasnt too sure what to use but could have used any of your suggestions but in the end I made sweet and sour pork from a recipe on the net and if I do say so myself it was delicious.
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    lol thanks - it was great - tonight its veggie curry (sauce from neighbour) and on wednesday it was a turkey thigh (bogof in tesco and donated to me by nice family member). I am a complete convert to slo cooker cooking. many thanks to my generous benefactor for giving me the opportunity to experiment with her cast off :)
    Blah
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport