Bank Charges Financial Hardship Success Stories

Options
Former_MSE_Wendy
Former_MSE_Wendy Posts: 929 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! PPI Party Pooper Best Buy Bear
articlealert.gif

Please report your financial hardship successes here, if possible in the following format:

Bank:
Amount Reclaimed:
Amount they paid:
How long did it take:
The story: (just a few sentences, please include how far you went eg did you just write to your bank or did you use the financial ombudsman)

Please don't use this thread for general discussion on reclaiming bank charges use this thread instead :)
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• Melmoneysaver
    Options
    Just wanted to share that I had successfully received a full offer of £98 after requesting my overdraft excess fee's back a little over 2 weeks ago, this isn't the first time I claimed back the charges from Halifax either but I was a little surprised as I expected to get the standard letter about putting everything on hold until 2009 (my partner asked for a total of £345 from HSBC and they wanted him to fill out expenditure forms but would not do anything even after this, stating early 2009 as the earliest they could look at refunding anything for him), I did however claim under hardship but I didn't have to fill any other paper work out to get all my charges back.

I know its only a small amount but £98 is a lot for us as I only work part time due to looking after my daughter and this really helps so I just wanted to let people know that its still possible to get something with relatively no hassle so don't let the legal battle put you off.
    DFD 29/12/10 :D

Oh Wait... The Mortgage :mad:
  • shezzy28
    shezzy28 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I support a single mum who has a bi-polar illness, a claim went in for bank charges several months ago, they refused, so we wrote again claiming hardship, again they refused, at this time all claims where frozen due to court case so we did nothing. 8 weeks ago a letter arrived asking for an income/expenditure form to be filled out, did this and another letter arrived saying no. Then out of the blue a letter arrived offering £1,900+ this is approx 95% of the amount claimed. she is over the moon and has accepted the offer. so dont give up hope. we never phoned did everything by letter.
    I would like to thank everyone on this forum for all advice, template letters etc:T
  • arthurdick
    arthurdick Posts: 3,646 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    well, i always came to this thread to read about the latest results, it always picked me up a bit, gave me that extra bit of hope that someday i might get a result also..I always thought, it would be everybody else adding their results in here, and not me..well, it does make you think that, especially after waiting so long....anyway....today i got my offer from the halifax, i claimed £900, got offered £1059.......so thanx to martin lewis, you are a diamond, and well done and thanx to all those on here , and those yet to come and add an entry....... time for a few beers now.......cheers all ;)
    Corduroy pillows are making headlines! Back home in London now after 27years wait! Duvet know it's Christmas, not original, it's a cover.
  • arthurdick
    arthurdick Posts: 3,646 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would just like to add, that I went down the financial hardship route, so if you are given a common finacial statement form to fill in, fill it in as true as you can...what have you got to lose ;)
    Corduroy pillows are making headlines! Back home in London now after 27years wait! Duvet know it's Christmas, not original, it's a cover.
  • flooz_2
    Options
    Hi

Just want to say a HUGE thankyou for the advice to reclaim charges as have just received all of and more than claimed!!!

halifax
    claimed 1045
    paid 1518

So I guess I missed some when I wrote the letter, have had huge drop in household income so claim was against hardship, but without this site wouldn't have had a clue and the template worked.

thanks again
  • lovethis_site
    Options
    just wanted to let you all know that this morning i have spoke with the halifax
    and they have reviewed my financial hardship claim and have agreed to pay back my bank charges! the guy i spoke to was very helpful, he has informed me that a letter has gone out to me on fri 15th stating that they have agreed to pay me £5700 (my initial claim was for £4970)he even read out to me the content of the letter and that when i recieve the letter which should be tomorrow (or when royal mail get their finger out ) i need to sign the acceptance form and the money should be in my account within 14 days.he did point out though that because i have arrears with them on a credit card and
    mortgage these arrears would be paid off first and then i will recieve the difference.
    so, for all of you out there going through re claims , dont give in ,there is light at the end of the tunnel .tinysmile_fatgrin_t.png
    also can i just say a big thank you to all the people who work on legalbeagles and moneysavingexpert because without them i wouldnt have had a clue on how to re claim

from one very happy bunny(will be even happier once the money is in my account)
    progress.gif
  • ballyboley
    Options
    Halifax - charges were £466 plus interest, they agreed to pay all the charges, just not the interest which I was happy with!
    Had to go through the hardship line with them to get anywhere through

Cheers MSE!!
  • egretton
    egretton Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Bank: Lloyds TSBAmount Reclaimed: £1400Amount they paid: £1400I used the template letters on the website and they paid up after sending the 2 letters, I was so impressed I did it on the joint account as well and got £440 back from that one. I have just done the credit card and had a letter saying they would pay the full amount £432 which includes interest. I am still awaiting the payment. Thanks a lot Martin have saved me a fortune.
    :T Yeah I've just worked out how to add this to the bottom. Wow:T
  • Ex-Spendaholic
    Options
    Bank: Halifax

Claimed: £2295

Received: £2295

The Story

Had 2 Halifax accounts paid out on grounds of financial hardship. Then I decided to claim on this one. Instantly got the - go away there is a court case letter. Phoned them and said if you thought I was in financial difficulties with the other 2 then I must be with this 1 please review.

Got a letter offering me £1295. Phoned them up asking what my options were with the rest. Was told they had offered me a full 6 years charges and I wouldn't be getting more. I told them it wasn't the full 6 years charges. Seems calculation errors had occurred.

Got a call today to say they had sorted it and were paying the full amount. :j

Good luck to everyone with their claims.
  • rubylips_2
    Options
    BANK: Halifax

RECLAIMING: £2700

AMOUNT RECIEVED: £2700

Recieved a letter from HALIFAX on Saturday offering £2000
    Rang them today saying if full amount isnt paid a letter will go to the courts!!

And guess what?
    5 mins later get a phone call offering the full amount:T
    A BIG THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP ON MSE ESPECIALLY Sol00
    YOUR AN ANGEL:A

Thanks again everyone and remember fight the good fight!!

Think ill go to the pub later to celebrate!!

DRINKS ARE ON ME!!:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport