PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    Re looking things up can you see what I need for iron = when I gave blood last week then said I was a bit close (no doubt my overactive hormones!) to being low on iron so want to boost it without resorting to iron tablets!

Hiya ISOM, I've put a link to the bit on iron-rich foods in my mini index in post 1. Hope it helps!

Grrrr about the rain!:mad:

Thanks Shaz, I'll do the index then if that'll be useful.:D

BigMummaF, thanks for the foraging link
    ;)

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    loving the new index weezl

think it means i also have no excuse to not make the pate's now
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    The index is great - must have taken ages! Are you going to do linkies to the other recipes? Must try MrsM's bagels this w/e! Hopefully rain will stop for Sat and we can forrage! Was wandering today (having discovered there is ooooodles of money in my account thus prooving that I'm not compleatly cured lol!!) & noticed a recipe book all about foraging! Didnt get it as thought you would kill me & know you'll have run out of body lotion by now!! Plus it didnt look that good!! Hope youre ok :)
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• weezl74
    Options
    loving the new index weezl

think it means i also have no excuse to not make the pate's now

absolutely ifonly! and we'd love to know if you make any yummy tweaks to the recipes you make!

Weezl x

cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yep - that index works fine - better than the way I envisaged (no hunting for post no....whatever). If I smile very sweetly at you weezl and cross my fingers - then maybe we can persuade you to add the rest of the recipes to date to that index....pretty please:D (says she - hoping in particular for that there recipe I was one of the "testers" for;) ).
  • ceridwen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ..and if I'm a very VERY good girl (well....okay then.... distinctly mature woman!)...then I'm wondering if weezl might possibly have a nice veggie curry recipe or two to share with us (vegetable curry as such would be nice - as I do like me vegetable curry - but have yet to find a recipe that I like to make it myself somehow!). Perhaps that could be another "search for some testers" type recipe for us?;)

I think perhaps I'm not that great at flavourings in food - I do like my food a bit spicy and flavoursome (without being "burn your mouth" territory) - in my case that means that Middle Eastern food is my favourite world cuisine. I was thinking that it musta been the flavourings in that "tester" couscous recipe I did from Weezl that made all the difference - that bit of sultana-soaking water and the honey that just added that "certain zumzing".
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    ooo a challallenge SVP Mrs W while I go off babysitting! Will swap for a test of said to be found recipe! If you ca find it tonight I'l get ingredients and make it over w/e as know mum will love it! We had spinach & potatoe pie (which of course can be subst with nettles!) with cheese on top t'other day and it was deeelicious! Wholemeal pastry...can anyone offer a good recipe so I can lurk it tomorrow from work & get ingredients on way home tom? Pretty please...pref a tried & tested recipe but if not a tried & tested chef maybe?!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• weezl74
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    ..and if I'm a very VERY good girl (well....okay then.... distinctly mature woman!)...then I'm wondering if weezl might possibly have a nice veggie curry recipe or two to share with us (vegetable curry as such would be nice - as I do like me vegetable curry - but have yet to find a recipe that I like to make it myself somehow!). Perhaps that could be another "search for some testers" type recipe for us?;)

I think perhaps I'm not that great at flavourings in food - I do like my food a bit spicy and flavoursome (without being "burn your mouth" territory) - in my case that means that Middle Eastern food is my favourite world cuisine. I was thinking that it musta been the flavourings in that "tester" couscous recipe I did from Weezl that made all the difference - that bit of sultana-soaking water and the honey that just added that "certain zumzing".

sounds like a fun challenge! Do you like any particular style/flavour of curry that's indian (so I can get my head round which spices you're fond of)? I think their milder ones might suit you (more other spices, but less nuclear!) but the versions in takeaways are sweetened to please our western palatte. But I know you're not fussed on adding sugar....

Hmmmmn, so what about a sugar-free korma? I've made a nice one of those! Or bombay potato with mustard seeds, he's quite yummy!;)

Have you got a supplier of organic okra? Bindi bhajee is gorgeous. Nomnomnom.:D

Whaddyafancy?

I'm indexing away, and have started putting
    (v) next to recipes that are vegetarian.:beer:

Weezl x

• ceridwen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Korma curry sounds nice - like that style. Organic okra - er...pass - it would have to be chemically-grown. I have to work on the basis that everything obtainable is organic...but some things just arent obtainable on an organic basis where I am. (Hence - apples/onions/pears/potatoes/tomatoes/bananas/mushrooms for instance are organic - but I have to take what I can get for other greengrocery). I do have an Indian shop in my area and some healthfood and wholefood shops - but its a bit restricted here (though I know some people have things a lot worse in their area).

So - yep - a korma-style one would be good.

...and...thanks for the (v) rating next to veggie recipes.
  • weezl74
    Options
    Weezl's veggie korma

4 generous servings

equipment needed;): plastic mixing bowl (note this might take on a yellowish stain from the turmeric, so not a highly decorative one!), casserole dish you can put on the hob, wooden spoon, sharp knife.

ingredients

500g mixed vegetables in whatever ratio you fancy, cut into small bite-sized pieces (leeks, cauliflower and carrot were nice)

100g thick natural yoghurt

2 cloves garlic crushed

2cm cube root ginger grated or crushed

2 tspns ground coriander

1/2 tspn each of ground black pepper, cinnamon, cardamom and turmeric

10g butter

1 medium onion, chopped finely

50ml single cream

salt to taste

50g ground almonds

method

mix together first 4 ingredients, and leave to marinade while you prep the onions

mix the 5 spices together and fry gently in the butter for a minute before adding the onion. Fry for a couple of minutes, til softened, then add the other veg and all the yoghurty marinade, stir.

Add cream, salt and ground almonds, stir and turn casserole down to gentle simmer, lidded.

10 mins later, test veggies for softness. If done, serve with rice, 125g per person.

nomnomnom!

Weezl x

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport