Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay to have the bike my ex-husband got our son serviced?

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 342 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
edited 23 April at 6:28PM in MoneySaving mums
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

My ex-husband bought our son a second-hand bike that cost £180 for Christmas the year before last. Since then it's been badly damaged a couple of times, and I've paid for it to be fixed professionally. My ex now wants the bike back to sell, saying the money he gets will go into a savings account he's set up for our son. Yet he wants me to pay to have the bike serviced again so it can be sold - should I do it? I've probably paid more for the bike now than my ex did.

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.
:# View past Money Moral Dilemmas.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 April at 6:38PM
    Options
    Simple answer, no.
    First off, has he asked your son whether he wants to get rid of the bike? Secondly, and depending on the age of your son, if the bike is sold does he want the money himself?
    Thirdly if he wants it serviced he can arrange it himself. Then he might have a different view as to whether it’s worth selling or not. In the case of an old bike that only cost 180 quid to start with, probably not.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Oldtaxfart
    Options
    Depending on your son’s age, he may have outgrown the bike, so it may no longer be ideal.  Anyway it is his bike to do with as he pleases.  If he wants to keep it then it is his.  He could get something against another bike using it as a trade.  I do not think a service would greatly increase the value, generally it covers new gear cables, new brake cables (assuming rim or cable disc brakes) brake blocks and pads if necessary, head bearings checked regressed or replaced. It might make it easier to sell.  But all said and done, what has it got to do with the ex?
  • aremgee
    aremgee Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 April at 10:08PM
    Options
    If she's sure the money will go to her son, maybe.  What does the son say? Does he actually want it? If the bike is likely to end up being used again by her son, maybe as the son is the owner but otherwise definitely not.  Maybe the son can pay to get it repaired himself if he's old enough.
  • saeveritt
    saeveritt Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Simple answer No, it will cost more to have the bike serviced then what it will increase the second hand sale price by.
  • Jibraeel
    Jibraeel Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No. Your ex no longer has any connection, claim or rights to this item. It now belongs to your son, and you need to tell your ex to go and do one...
  • Cookie0709
    Options
    The bike is your son's, how old is he, is he old enough to decide if he wants it to be sold by his dad? If he's outgrown and needs a new bike,  surely it would make more sense that the money goes towards that? I definitely wouldn't be paying out for it to be serviced, it's not cost effective.  And you definitely shouldn't be expected to pay for it!!! What a cheek! I would also say to look at investigating how much his bike is selling for second hand, on FB, ebay, etc, to see how much it's worth to give you an insight. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback